Home Cigar 101

Cutting with the cellophane still on

youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
image I've been doing this recently with a Xikar x3 with great results. I just thought I'd share in case anyone is getting rough cuts or "stragglers" and might be looking for a quick fix.

I was complaining about cutting torpedos and my B&M guy just blasted through the cello with his guillotine and left a perfect cut.
ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico

Comments

• letsgowithbobletsgowithbob Posts: 677 ✭✭
    Thanks for the tip, I will try this.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Huh. Never tried that. Cool!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ...its also a good etiquette maneuver when you are using a cutter that does not belong to you.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    ...its also a good etiquette maneuver when you are using a cutter that does not belong to you.
    Never even thought of that, Kuzi, you classy MF.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    This - whenever visiting a lounge and using the in-house cutter (or someone else´s), always good form.

Not to mention, the first time you see a guy deepthroat his cigar before cutting it, you'll never want to borrow another cutter again.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've also heard (I think here) that somehow it helps keep the blade clean and sharp. I've been doing it that way since.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    kuzi16:
    This - whenever visiting a lounge and using the in-house cutter (or someone else´s), always good form.

Not to mention, the first time you see a guy deepthroat his cigar before cutting it, you'll never want to borrow another cutter again.
    Yeah,.... It'll keep your spit off of their cutter but not the other way around ;)

I like to get my cigar wet before cutting with my own cutter. But When I'm out at a B&M, using their cutter, I cut it dry so as not to get my germs on their cutter. And I make an effort to convince myself that everyone else using that "community cutter" does the same.
    youngryan216:
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Hays:
    kuzi16:

lmao never really got why people do that!
    Money can't buy taste
  • Glock1975Glock1975 Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my local place does this.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't say I've ever run into this or have this issue. No matter where I go or smoke I always have my own cutters on me so never thought about this or considered it, nifty solution though :)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Or bring your own knife.imageI don't get it, which to be fair happens often. The cutter blades are still touching the cigar, they're just cutting through the cello first.
  • youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Or bring your own knife.imageI don't get it, which to be fair happens often. The cutter blades are still touching the cigar, they're just cutting through the cello first.
    Thanks Rain -- now I have "The Final Countdown" stuck in my head.

I just do it because I have yet to have a bad cut since I started doing this. Most of my sticks are naked in the humi tbh though.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thinking of starting a Quote of the Week thread in NCR. This would definitely be in the running for the first winner...

Hays:

ROFLOL!
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my neck of the woods a man's not dressed unless he has a knife. I always have a honed blade. If I am going to carry a cigar in my two finger leather case I push the cello up, cut the cello across the top, push the cigar up and cut it so i can check the draw before it goes into the case with the cello to protect the wrapper. Nothing worse than being out and finding the only cigar you are carring is blocked! I'll give cutting the cello and the cap together a try.
    Rain:
    I think the etiquette is half illusion (Gob!!) Of having plastic on there and half kind of saying "hey look I didn't slobber all over this cigar before I cut it." You'd be surprised how often guys lick the cigar then use a community cutter. ??
    Well that part makes sense, in my mind I was thinking of it as cutting through the cello or regular cutting...but no slobbering was involved. Man, I really like that GIF too.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I tried it once. Didn't turn out very well. Tore the head to crap. But I think it was with one of those cheap disposable jobs.
  • FNAFNA Posts: 55
    "...its also a good etiquette maneuver when you are using a cutter that does not belong to you."

Why would it be bad etiquette to cut an out-of-cellophane cigar with a cutter that someone offered?

I would think it bad etiqutte to cut a celloed cigar with a borrowed cutter as cutters are made for cutting cigars not cellophane.
    FNA:
    "...its also a good etiquette maneuver when you are using a cutter that does not belong to you." Why would it be bad etiquette to cut an out-of-cellophane cigar with a cutter that someone offered? I would think it bad etiqutte to cut a celloed cigar with a borrowed cutter as cutters are made for cutting cigars not cellophane.
    cellophane is made from plants and cuts easier than an entire cigar does. it will not hurt the cutter in any way.

it is good etiquette to leave the cellophane on while cutting with a cutter that isnt yours to show that the cigar has never been in your mouth. how would you feel if someone asked for your cutter and you lent it to them only to see them put the cigar in their mouth to wet the cap and then clip?
    its just going that extra mile to show you respect that the cutter is theirs.

and on that note...For good etiquette, if you lick your caps before cutting, dont lend out your cutter.
    "show you respect that the cutter is theirs." - by using it to cut something it was not intended to cut.

I guess you could be right.  I think a cello is a lot tougher in elasticity and hardness than a wrapper leaf is and correspondingly tougher on the edge of the cutter.   Try biting a piece out of the middle of a cello and then don't bite your cigar with the same force. That's just what I think.  It does not strike me as a sign of respect to use someone else's  tools in an unorthodox manner. I would not want someone to use my cutter to cut anything other than a cigar.

About a month ago I saw a old guy take his freshly bought cigar and wet it from head to foot - old school.

All academic - doesn't everyone here carry a cutter?
    If my Xikar broke from cutting a cello. I'd never buy another xikar product in my life. Cello is like paper. would cut no problem. I'd be more offended if someone used it to cut a swisher, lol!! The cello gives the aire of sanitization. Clean, packaged. But no worries if you don't wanna cut through it. Like I said, I've never even though of it before. And I don't think any has minded.

I carry a cutter only if I plan on smoking. Sometimes I am caught without one.
    FNA:
    "show you respect that the cutter is theirs." - by using it to cut something it was not intended to cut.
    if your cutter is so fragile that it is damaged or dulled by cellophane than you have wasted your money on your cutter.
    go buy yourself a Xikar or a Palio and never worry again.

i almost always have one of my Xikar cutters on me.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    FNA:

I guess you could be right.  I think a cello is a lot tougher in elasticity and hardness than a wrapper leaf is and correspondingly tougher on the edge of the cutter.   Try biting a piece out of the middle of a cello and then don't bite your cigar with the same force. That's just what I think.  It does not strike me as a sign of respect to use someone else's  tools in an unorthodox manner. I would not want someone to use my cutter to cut anything other than a cigar.

About a month ago I saw a old guy take his freshly bought cigar and wet it from head to foot - old school.

All academic - doesn't everyone here carry a cutter?
    Not to sound too harsh, but you´re being rather pedantic on a topic that really doesn´t work. Cellophane is a general inclusion in the packaging of cigars, so I think you´d be quite hard-pressed to find someone (aside from yourself, evidently) that would be perturbed at the use of their cutter to clip a cigar in this fashion. Also, your example really doesn´t hold weight - when cutting a cigar, one is cutting significantly more than just the wrapper leaf.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    I guess I'm wrong then.  Probably why everybody but me cuts through the cello.
    FNA:
    I don't necessarily cut with the cello on. I would, if everyone wanted me to,........ but I don't believe the cello on method improves the cut. I see it as a form of courtesy. Just like when they put your straw in a drink for you at a restaurant and they leave a little bit of the paper on the straw. I suppose that means they didn't touch it. But could they have touched the other end? Hmmmmm.
    FNA:
    ... only when using a cutter that isnt mine
    Maybe I'm the odd man out here but honestly I haven't and still won't be offended if I hand my cutter to someone and they decide to make Jenna Jameson proud by what they do to the cigar before cutting it. It's such an infinitesimally small amount of spittle that actually comes into contact with the cutting surface that I just don't care. I'm also the guy that if I'm having a drink or a beer and start talking to the guy or girl next to me that I offer to share my drink. I'm not a germaphobe in any way and honestly this is just me, but seems a bit candy-assed pansy to me to be worried about a small amount of spittle on a cigar, or a beer or or or etc. Maybe I'm just weird, but I will simply not give a **** unless there's a massive loogie hanging off it lol.
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    I'm not a germaphobe...bit I deal with sick people erryday, so I like to take some precautions. I got strep and the flu just from being in the same room...so you can hang on to your spit ;)
    Rain:
    I'm not a germaphobe...bit I deal with sick people erryday, so I like to take some precautions. I got strep and the flu just from being in the same room...so you can hang on to your spit ;)
    I get that some people have that preference. To put it into perspective though.... I have 3 autoimmune diseases. I'm not going to try to get sick but I'm also not going to be **** about stuff like that either, just ain't me.