Home Cigar 101
Options

Where do you get your sticks?

LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
I'd be interested in any feedback on where you prefer to get cigars from, online on B&Ms, or both? What are the benefits/drawbacks to getting them online vs. a B&M? I would assume you go to a B&M for the experience of talking to other smokers, hanging out and enjoying a cigar...is that right? Do you find much difference in price between the two?

Comments

• Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    When I buy online, i can avoid the ridiculous taxes here in California. When I go to a local shop, it seems like the cigars are 30-40% more... I bought 4 cigars the last time and they cost me nearly $40....the same would have been about $25 here. The one benefit though is no wait time and no shipping charges. Online retailers have a much larger selection also. It is nice being able to talk to people face to face, but honestly the prices will keep me an online buyer as i get more mileage for my dollar.
  • Options
    rmccloudrmccloud Posts: 160 ✭✭
    If I am in the mood for a particular stick, then I will go to the B&M to pick it up. Otherwise I will usually wait until I have a decent sized order to place online (get charged the shipping whether you buy one cigar or 4 boxes). I have also found that it is cheaper to order online then pick it up at the B&M.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    almost exclusivly online. there is a b&m that has a good fuente selection so i go there for them but thats about it.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    I believe you have to support your local B&M, if you don't then where will you go to smoke on a rainy day and who will fight local anti-tobacco legislation, etc. I buy whenever I can from the B&M but my large orders are online.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    I believe you have to support your local B&M, if you don't then where will you go to smoke on a rainy day and who will fight local anti-tobacco legislation, etc. I buy whenever I can from the B&M but my large orders are online.
    that is a good point. I support them but i find the deals online to be too good to resist. Cigar.com has had some friday deals thatll knock your socks off.
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    madurofan:
    that is a good point. I support them but i find the deals online to be too good to resist. Cigar.com has had some friday deals thatll knock your socks off.
    Same for me. I just make sure I buy 4 or 5 sticks when I'm in there and try to attend there events and buy a box or sampler or whatever they're pushing. I've been in the B&M a couple times now when people bring in their own sticks, buy nothing there and talk about the great deals they get online. I buy the majority of mine online but I never bring my own sticks and I always buy a few there.
  • Options
    LoonaticLoonatic Posts: 8
    Usually online @ CI or CCom. I do visit a local B&M on occasion, just to support local commerce.
  • Options
    Bad AndyBad Andy Posts: 848
    I have always gone to the B&M until I found this site a few weeks ago. The prices on here have been pretty good some are even comparable to my B&M, minus the gas prices of late. Last Friday's special was my first order on it here and it was a nice one too. Did anyone lese **** that one up too? Plus the Titans on check out...I can't wait to get them.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    I buy from the local B&M. It has a decent selection, and decent prices for a small, close-minded town. I've yet to buy online, but I hopefully will be doing so soon.
  • Options
    Matt Marvel:
    I buy from the local B&M. It has a decent selection, and decent prices for a small, close-minded town. I've yet to buy online, but I hopefully will be doing so soon.
    if you call into cigar.com they usually hook you up in one way or another. these guys know cigars and if you start to tell them what you like they will make great reccomondations.
  • Options
    Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    cigar.com is definitely the place I will be placing my order with. I've looked over the site several times, and found some fairly affordable prices, and I've heard nothing but good things about them as well.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    Most often online to avoid taxes and the higher prices a retailer has to charge in order to stay in business.. If I am driving by a B&M I will stop in and spend like 10 bucks just to meet the owner and talk awhile.. Often I will meet a fellow smoker and spend some time sharing likes and dislikes.. The prices and deals here can never be offered at your local shops because of the volume online retailers move.. Plus, it is pretty nice to come home and have that packaging sitting there.
  • Options
    vankleekkwvankleekkw Posts: 404
    I buy mostly online since there is no good B&Ms without making a hike. I do stop by them whenever I get a chance to pick up a couple sticks that I have been wanting to try.
  • Options
    hoagyhoagy Posts: 5
    as a noob i need a lil help, what does B&M stand for? Hoagy
  • Options
    Bricks and Mortar ... just means a physical shop.