Home General Discussion

If I could only smoke one brand of cigar I'd choose [insert brand]

transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
Just curious what your experience tells you is the strongest brand out there.

Although I'm still in "smoke around tramp" mode, at some point soon I'll probably want to do a deep drill-down into a couple brands.  Which do you think are the best brands across a variety of cigar types?  Thanks.
Kipling was a wise man.

Comments

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is always an interesting proposition. The replies you get will vary based on everyone's experiences. I've often said that Oliva would be a brand I could "get married to" but There's at least one guy around here who hates all Olivas. And, Oliva is a big humi to delve into. La Sirena, on the other hand, is a brand you where you could smoke all of them in a weekend. 

My guess is that 99% of us are still in the "smoke around tramp" mode and always will be.  
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:

My guess is that 99% of us are still in the "smoke around tramp" mode and always will be.  
    This.  But I'm very fond of Oliva, and Fuente, and Torano, and...
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now I think my brand would be Crowned Heads.  Jerico Hill, Four Kicks, La Imperiosa, Las Calaveras, JDH, Headley Grange...yeah that would be my brand right now.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    98% of everything AJ Fernandez makes....
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Warped, tatuaje, or La palina
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• transplanttransplant Posts: 111 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, folks and keep 'em coming.

I guess I'm glad to see that there are others who are as promiscuous with their smoking habit as I am. However, I made my corporate bones with 20+ years at an ad agency and the lack of brand loyalty is a little unsettling.  The exception is Woodguarden, who has a clear loyalty to AJ's "Field of Brands."  If you roll them, they will smoke.

I'm too early in my journey to have hard opinions, but I've been impressed so far with Torano, Punch and Bradley, not so much with Gurkha and Patel.  I've got some Carillo's resting and on my upcoming golf vacation will sample my first Ave Marias and Olivas.

Is it supposed to be this fun?
    Kipling was a wise man.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Right now I think my brand would be Crowned Heads.  Jerico Hill, Four Kicks, La Imperiosa, Las Calaveras, JDH, Headley Grange...yeah that would be my brand right now.
    This is me as well also La Palina!
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    If it had to be down to one brand--or specifically, one product--I think I could be reasonably happy smoking nothing other than Fuente Hemingways for the rest of my life. 
  • OneisnoneOneisnone Posts: 459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am seriously into Caldwell right now and love the Eastern Standard. May not work forever but it is working for me right now!
  • Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Well if you are going to nail me down to one brand it would be My Father. Close second would be Tatuaje followed by Padron
  • kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
     One brand... Fuente has never given me a bad experience.. So there.
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Crowned Heads are rip-snorting beautiful
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tatuaje... all day... twice on Sunday. 
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    Yup
    Usaf06 said:
    Yup
    I knew I liked you Jeff
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

• EulogyEulogy Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    Yup
    Add Cadwell and I'm there with you.
  • matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I had to choose 1 it would be the Oliva as the Melanio is still a favorite and not gouging in price with the right deals. If cost were of no concern it would be padron or siglio's all day. 

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is an interesting thread. 

I expect I will always be a smoke around tramp. I do have general preferences, but I understand myself and I know I am a beer and wine tramp.

In my 105 year old farmhouse (it is creaky and needs a shizz ton of stuff repaired, but I have 20 years to do it), I have an unfinished basement which has some cold storage.

Down there I keep a rotation of 175+ beers (12 oz, nothing crazy like uber-collectable or anything). To be fair, I brew a bit, so 1/3 of that is home brew. I try to keep a good supply of wine and spirits on hand as well. IMHO, stuff stores just fine in a cold basement. 

Yes, a standing rule was just established. If any of Ccom BOTLs are ever in the SLC metro area, give me a heads up; I would love to have you over for a steak, some drinks, and some cigars!

Circling back, bottom line: I know I am a relative n00b, but I also know I like to try a bunch of stuff -- I don't anticipate that changing anytime soon.

I must be the type that Advertisement Agencies hate, lol

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
    Damn Jay, makes me want to trip to Utah
    -- Winston Churchill

• wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Any DPG! Perdomo is catching up tho
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    LFD, but I would miss some of my other favs. I could live with a selection of Airbenders, Coronados, Oros, Double Ligeros, Ligeros, Cameroon Cabinets, Reserva Especial, Colorado Oscuro, Chapter 1/2, Limitados, Factory Presses, 1994s, 2000s, Mysterios, Salomones, etc......

Yeah, I could happily live with just those.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Victor Sinclair... OK, just kidding!  I love anything Paddilla.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's a tough one,

I like variety and exploring different things, if that makes me slutty well so be it, always have been and always will be. Very seldom will I smoke the same cigar twice in a week or even month. In  the last four years I've only found maybe five or six cigars that I truly disliked although there is a fair amount that I won't buy again.

If I had to pick one brand and stick with it, I think I go with Don Pepin Garcia. I like the spice profile, they age well and there is some variety.  

• danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Kelner
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Kelner
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I change my mind to Cohiba. They cut the best
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • skydiverDskydiverD Posts: 2,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far, anything tied to DGP. Havent had any I didn't really enjoy. 

I really like Oliva too. 

So so far haven't had a La Palina, Padron, or crowned heads that I didn't like either. 

Thankfully, don't have to make that choice, except for monetary reasons. LOL
    How do you like my profile pic Taborski?   @matkn293          
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Torano
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    I think I'd have to go with the Fuente Hemingway Signature followed closely (and in no particular order) by AVO XO, Undercrown Corona Viva, Torano 1916 Cameroon, San Cristobal Elegancia, and My Father LB 1922 petite robusto. 

So sayeth The Oldfart...  B)
  • jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    Cohiba and kelner