Home Cigar 101

Too much plume

Thinking of smoking this one this weekend... is there such a thing as too much plume?

Andy

"Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge-hammer."
— Maj. I. L. Holdridge | Retired

Comments

• WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't smoke that if you paid me....
  • badandy24badandy24 Posts: 41
    Really... b/c of too much plume or another reason?
    Andy

I'm sure it won't kill you. I just prefer a cigar that looks more appealing, and that one sir does not....
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sorry I don't claim to be an expert. In fact I'm quite the novice, but that looks nasty. Looks like it's been dragged through spider webs. I'm caughing looking at it. Good luck!
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
    I hear ya, it doesnt look appealing but I have smoked others with plume and that are great, sometimes better than the ones without.
    Andy

You can probably wipe some of that off, I would at the least do that. If nothing else clean the cap...
    I smoked some good Cubans that had plume, but no where near that level of plume.
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    This is a joke, right?
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Nope, gonna clean it up some and try it out. 
    Andy

Make sure that mold is not on the foot when you do.  If the foot is clean have at it.
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
    Its not mold, that would be a killer. 
    Andy

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks more like mold than plume.  I would need a closer picture to tell for sure though
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's mold. Let's just be very blunt. Nothing up in the air. That is gross
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey! that's some PRIME smoking there ;(

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nolagizmo said:
    It's mold. Let's just be very blunt. Nothing up in the air. That is gross

Yes, it's mold and a lot of it
  • ChemnitzChemnitz Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭
    Looks like mold to me. OP, is that what the rest of your humidor looks like? Don't put any new cigars in there, if it does. You will need a new humidor.
    And check your RH. You want it somewhere between 65%-72%. It looks like you have it way too high. 
    The rest of my humidor is fine, I've had mold before when I first started. I have other with plume but only a little 
    Andy

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    Plume usually takes a long time to develope.... How long have you had that? By the way, the plume/mold is growing on the band so I am going with mold. Do not smoke!!!!!!
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Look guys, I bought this approx 4 years ago and it already had most of the plume on it.  So its been all this time and i have no other signs of mold on any sticks nor the humidor.
    Andy

Cleaned it up....here goes nothing 
    Andy

You should check out the thread that brad posted above, it will help you.

MOW badge received.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also, if you were able to wipe it off it was mold. Plume is not so easy to wipe. But if you wiped it all off and the foot is clean you can smoke it. Good luck..... Enjoy
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

Well I smoked it about half way,  had to stop after I got caught up something else and the relight wasn't good. 
    I read the link, not sure what to thunk since it was in my humi for around 4 years and I don't have a mold infestation.  Lucky I guess...
    Andy

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish you had taken close up pics for us to get a closer look. But I call mold. I saw this thread when you first posted it. I thought you were joking.
    Bob_Luken said:
    I wish you had taken close up pics for us to get a closer look. But I call mold. I saw this thread when you first posted it. I thought you were joking.

I thought the same thing.  Also if you click the small picture below the posted one you get a great look at all that mold. 
    MOW badge received.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    badandy24 said:
    Well I smoked it about half way,  had to stop after I got caught up something else and the relight wasn't good. 
    I read the link, not sure what to thunk since it was in my humi for around 4 years and I don't have a mold infestation.  Lucky I guess...
    Did you have it naked or in cello? This is curious.
    It was naked. Thats how I bought it
    Andy

• kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    badandy24 said:
    badandy24 said:
    ..... It's been nice knowing you.
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Some sticks seem to mold easier than others (in my experience) , and it doesn't necessarily spread to other cigars if the humidity is reasonable.

Glad you could save it, though.  Also, if you get one with true plume it'll always smoke fine, no need to wipe.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America