Home Non Cigar Related

anyone have apple brandy?

phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
I've been wanting to try apple brandy, cavalodos I believe it is also called. Anyone have it? Like it? I found a place that has the opus X in a bottle still for sale and after seeing the price I coughed and then said F that, but am intrigued about the actual drink.

Comments

• Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    The cigar in the bottle is a bit pricey - the cigar inside is the forbidden x. Apparently the tobacco in the forbidden x's is aged in old calvados barrels. As for the drink, I've had calvados once. It wasn't an expensive brand or a very aged blend, but it still wasn't bad. Had potential if it mellowed out. One of those things. If you like cognac/brandy and you're willing to spend the money of good stuff, you'll probably enjoy it.
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    sweet, you got a pm bud. I saw the set for 300 on a site, tempting but that get's me a box of something else...
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i once had pear brandy.

once the blossom of the par tree fell off and a pear started to form a bottle was placed around it. the pear grew inside the bottle. when the pear was ripe they picked it, and filled the bottle with brandy and let it age.

when you smelled it it smelled like pears. when you sook a sip it tasted like pears. when you swished it, it tasted like pears.
    when you swallowed it, it tasted like pears.

then you would exhale and it tasted like FIRE.

good stuff.
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    i once had pear brandy.

once the blossom of the par tree fell off and a pear started to form a bottle was placed around it. the pear grew inside the bottle. when the pear was ripe they picked it, and filled the bottle with brandy and let it age.

when you smelled it it smelled like pears. when you sook a sip it tasted like pears. when you swished it, it tasted like pears.

good stuff.
    LOL I've seen this before. It's good stuff.

One of the most delicious things I've ever had the pleasure to consume was some homemade strawberry brandy. A fella had emptied a few bottles of brandy into a tub filled with chopped strawberries, and sealed it up (don't know how). A few days later, he pours it all back into bottles... I took a few drinks from a super-full cup that had plenty of little strawberry bits in it, and it was the only thing I could compare to ambrosia... I want to do that myself one of these days..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
    kuzi16:
    i once had pear brandy.

good stuff.
    saw some at store too. looked good.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I have a bottle of the pear brandy at home. Purchased it in France on my way back home from Paris, not knowing that it's also made here in Oregon and after the euro to dollar exchange rate, it would have been cheaper to buy the stuff here.

I agree on the smell and exhale, but have to disagree on taste. At least on the french stuff. It tastes like harsh, slightly pear infused tequila and rubbing alcohol. Not pleasant. It's become more of a centerpiece and conversation piece than anything.
    Hmm, good to know.
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    lol, closest thing we got to that here in Arkansas is when you cut a hole in a water melon and tip a bottle of rum or something up into the hole and let it sit there for a few days...The fruit sucks up all the booze and you have a party!