Home Non Cigar Related

Required to take a test before voting?

Is it just me or does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have people take a short test before voting.  I talk to too many people who say they made a big mistake voting for Obama in the last election.  I couldn't help but notice that many Obama supporters had no idea about his past voting record or have any clue about his agenda to "fundamentally transform America."  Many voted for him because he was cool and a good public speaker. I think you should know a little more about the person you are voting for besides that he is for hope and change. Hitler was a great public speaker and wanted hope and change.  That didn't work out so great for Germany.  I was not crazy about voting for  McCain but when i voted I knew how they both stood on the issues.  I know many voted for McCain without knowing anything about him, but i would bet twice as many uninformed voters voted for Obama.

Comments

• Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Tread lightly here dbo, if you look back at history, literacy tests and poll taxes were used to exclude black and poor voters. Just asking but what would you suggest would be on the tests?
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Garen B:
    Tread lightly here dbo, if you look back at history, literacy tests and poll taxes were used to exclude black and poor voters. Just asking but what would you suggest would be on the tests?
    I'd suggest administering an IQ test...just funnel out the really dumb people. Smile [:)]
  • dbodbo Posts: 8

I would not want to exclude anyone besides those who vote without knowing who or what they are voting for.  Basic questions about those who are running and their policy. Many times I have told people about a candidates stance on abortion, taxes, and immigration and they have told me that if they knew that they would not have voted that way.  Those people should not be voting. Everyone should have the right to vote but if don't do your homework you should loose that right.  Everyone has the right to bear arms but if you commit a felony you loose that right. It has nothing to do with race or classes.

• cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    I hate to say it, but even stupid people get to vote under our Constitution. That's what makes America great. That's also what may America mediocre or worse eventually. I think instead of tests to vote, better education for the voters would be a better idea.
  • VulchorVulchor Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭✭
    Well said Cabinet. While not taking your duty to vote responsibly is a travesty and does hurt the process....the fact our country allows people to have the right no matter what is part of what makes the process great----not always the outcome, but the process.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Cabi said it perfectly whats needed is better education. But sad to say politics even take play in the class room.
    God Bless America....
  • ThewelderThewelder Posts: 682 ✭✭
    The hardest part about the whole education process is news sites pushing their own agenda. Its hard to find a clear cut right down the middle website, news paper, or channel that says guy A wants this, this, and this. Guy B wants this, this, and this. Now this isn't an attack on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC. They are all a bit biased. I'm just saying its hard to find out what the candidates are actually pushing. I will say this Hitler was a bad man and a huge piece of ****, but he did great things for Germany if you look at on paper. He took a country out of a great depression, he instilled national pride and rebuilt a weak army to powerful one that almost took over Europe. He was still a piece of **** for the Holocaust, that I can't deny he was a piece of **** and should burn in hell
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Thewelder:
    The hardest part about the whole education process is news sites pushing their own agenda. Its hard to find a clear cut right down the middle website, news paper, or channel that says guy A wants this, this, and this. Guy B wants this, this, and this. Now this isn't an attack on CNN, Fox News and MSNBC. They are all a bit biased. I'm just saying its hard to find out what the candidates are actually pushing. I will say this Hitler was a bad man and a huge piece of ****, but he did great things for Germany if you look at on paper. He took a country out of a great depression, he instilled national pride and rebuilt a weak army to powerful one that almost took over Europe. He was still a piece of **** for the Holocaust, that I can't deny he was a piece of **** and should burn in hell
    True. You'd be shocked and amazed to know that a lot of the major medical advances in the last century were due to the medical/scientific experiments performed by German ****'s on captured Jews. Some people in the medical field actually collect medical items from WWII because the inventions during that time were revolutionary.
  • dbodbo Posts: 8
    I agree with a lot of you.  It all starts with education.  An educated voter is a good voter. I just cringe at some of the things that are being taught to our youth today.  Some teachers are very biased in their teachings.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had this same thought cross my mind and am on the fence about it. Sometimes I do feel that a person should have to take an IQ test before being allowed to vote. Voting for a person simply because they are black or a woman is pure stupidity. How many morons stated they were going to vote for the black or the woman candidate to be a part of history in this last election? Seriously people! That is what you would base your vote on? Ignoring all principles and things you believe in based on someone's race or sex. I just get a kick of all the black people I see hating on Obama right now. Most voted for him to get us our first black president. The people I know are deeply regretting that vote. I do not base what I said above based on Obama like him or not.

Being able to vote is one of our freedoms though so requiring a tax or test doesn't seem right. What disturbs me is a certain left leaning party trying to give the right to vote back to convicted felons and illegal immigrants. They are after all trying to give United States Constitutional Rights to enemies of the US. An enemy combatant has no right to a fair trial in our country. That said we do not have the right to torture and abuse them either. They are not and should never be entitled to the same rights we have in our country. I am sure that opens a can of worms but it is how I feel and no matter what anyone says you will never convice me otherwise.

You have to have some level of intelligence to vote. You should know your candidates and the issues at hand. I vote for what I believe in. I vote according to my morals and what I feel is right and wrong. There is usually no perfect candidate and sometimes it is as though you are picking the lesser of two evils. Simply voting for a candidate based on what someone else told you was the cool thing to do makes you a complete idiot.

I have 2 kids currently in the liberal anti-christian schools run by our government. I have explained to them that what our family believes in might go against everything they learned in school but they need to know the material to pass their tests. Evolution is a scam. Global warming is a scam. Did the Big Bang Theory happen? I am sure it is possible and if it did it is because that is the way God created our universe. Like it or not I believe in Jesus Christ and if you are offended I really don't care. I am tired of all the anti-christian politically correct garbage going down in this country. I refuse to follow what is cool and let others tell me what is right and wrong. This country is morally bankrupt. I am not perfect and better then anyone who disagrees with me just in case you might think that is what I am getting at.

Just a lot of stuff on my mind lately.
  • MAJORdorMoMAJORdorMo Posts: 356
    jsnake:

I have 2 kids currently in the liberal anti-christian schools run by our government. I have explained to them that what our family believes in might go against everything they learned in school but they need to know the material to pass their tests. Evolution is a scam. Global warming is a scam. Did the Big Bang Theory happen? I am sure it is possible and if it did it is because that is the way God created our universe. Like it or not I believe in Jesus Christ and if you are offended I really don't care. I am tired of all the anti-christian politically correct garbage going down in this country. I refuse to follow what is cool and let others tell me what is right and wrong. This country is morally bankrupt. I am not perfect and better then anyone who disagrees with me just in case you might think that is what I am getting at.

The schools aren't anti-Christian by any means. They just can't cater to one specific religion. You have to realize that there are children from many backgrounds in our schools (Christians, Buddhists,  Muslims, Hindus, atheists, etc). It would be unfair to adapt the curriculum to be compatible with the Bible. I don't want to offend you, but like it or not, evolution is well supported by scientists. Religion should never get in the way of science.

That said, I thoroughly respect your beliefs and I hope I didn't offend you.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    MAJORdorMo:
    jsnake:

The schools aren't anti-Christian by any means. They just can't cater to one specific religion. You have to realize that there are children from many backgrounds in our schools (Christians, Buddhists,  Muslims, Hindus, atheists, etc). It would be unfair to adapt the curriculum to be compatible with the Bible. I don't want to offend you, but like it or not, evolution is well supported by scientists. Religion should never get in the way of science.

You are correct, but there is a difference in "freedom of religion" and "freedom from religion." I am not a religious person, but when a child is told he can't wear a shirt because it has a cross on it to school, that is taking things a bit far. I agree that religion should not be taught in public schools, but to refuse children that are Christians the right to wear a shirt with a cross, but allow a muslim child to wear a their head dress or whatever it is called, it just plain wrong. You may say this doesn't happen, but I saw a student be told to go home in change at my high school in the late 90's in the bible belt of Texas simply because her shirt had a cross.
    jsnake:
    To quote Lewis Black "I reach for a fossil and say FOSSIL."
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    cabinetmaker:
    I hate to say it, but even stupid people get to vote under our Constitution. That's what makes America great. That's also what may America mediocre or worse eventually. I think instead of tests to vote, better education for the voters would be a better idea.
    Actually, there is no right to vote in a Federal election. So a test actually would be a good idea to keep some of the dumb MASSES out of the voting booth.

"Long ashes my friends."

MAJORdorMo:
    jsnake:

Funny you say this yet we allow muslim children to pray in our schools. We also give them foot baths and muslim only school buses. Muslim school children are allowed to wear religious clothing and have the Koran in School. My kid wears a cross necklace he gets kicked out for a week. My kid says a prayer he gets kicked out for a quarter. My kid takes a bible to school for his personal use he gets thrown out for the year. My kid talks about Jesus he gets ridiculed by his teachers and their belief system rammed down his throat. I never said they should cater to any specific religion. They are intolerant of Christians and bend over backwards to accommodate all others so how is that right? We can't call it Christmas break anymore because 1% will be offended. Why are we as a nation bending over backwards to be politically correct and let the minority get what they want? Since when does minority rule? Homosexuality is slammed down my kids throats also. In school they get they Tommy Has Two Daddies garbage. This country is going straight into the toilet.

I hate to offend anyone but if you think you are the ancestor of a monkey I feel sorry for you. Scientists support global warming too and it is funny how now we find out about all the manipulation they have done with their "scientific proof". Look throughout history at all of the scientifically proven this and that only to find later in life that it was all wrong. Animals might have evolved over time. Such as snakes and whales having legs. But man sure as hell didn't come from some monkey. Science seems more and more to be a tool to force the masses into believing one thing or another. I find it odd that mostly it is a tool used to be anti-God. I also find it odd how the scientific community can't agree completely on a subject such as global warming yet all of the scientists who take the opposing view are ignored even though they have "scientific proof" also. How about the scientists that are ignored that say if you look at the Big Bang Theory correctly and other scientific facts that science proves there is a God? I think so called science is subjective.

We all come from different walks of life and we all have to make decisions for ourselves. I for one would like to see my friends in heaven. Just because we do not agree does not mean I won't be your friend or treat you with respect.

Didn't mean to derail this thing here. Back to the voting thing. Now that I think about it I think Krieq just said it best.
    If it means we need a test to keep the likes of Glen Beck out of the voting booth----I guess I will change my stance. And as far as the great Jesus----born of a virgin by divine power (sounds alot like Athena and Zeus), 12 disciples to aide him (the 12 Olymipan Greek Gods), Noah building the Ark for the great flood (Greek Deucalion building the "great box" to survide the great flood), Cain and Abel (Romu and Remu)-----if this were done today we would call it plagerism....not religion.
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Vulchor:
    If it means we need a test to keep the likes of Glen Beck out of the voting booth----I guess I will change my stance. And as far as the great Jesus----born of a virgin by divine power (sounds alot like Athena and Zeus), 12 disciples to aide him (the 12 Olymipan Greek Gods), Noah building the Ark for the great flood (Greek Deucalion building the "great box" to survide the great flood), Cain and Abel (Romu and Remu)-----if this were done today we would call it plagerism....not religion.
    Absolutely...no one could possibly imitate the things in Scripture to create confusion. While Athena and Zeus are known to be false figures, Jesus Christ walked the earth. There's enough historical evidence to say that Jesus was real as was his 12 disciples.

But faith is a gift, given by God. It is not earned by mental prowess.
    jsnake:
    MAJORdorMo:
    jsnake:

Funny you say this yet we allow muslim children to pray in our schools. We also give them foot baths and muslim only school buses. Muslim school children are allowed to wear religious clothing and have the Koran in School. My kid wears a cross necklace he gets kicked out for a week. My kid says a prayer he gets kicked out for a quarter. My kid takes a bible to school for his personal use he gets thrown out for the year. My kid talks about Jesus he gets ridiculed by his teachers and their belief system rammed down his throat. I never said they should cater to any specific religion. They are intolerant of Christians and bend over backwards to accommodate all others so how is that right? We can't call it Christmas break anymore because 1% will be offended. Why are we as a nation bending over backwards to be politically correct and let the minority get what they want? Since when does minority rule? Homosexuality is slammed down my kids throats also. In school they get they Tommy Has Two Daddies garbage. This country is going straight into the toilet.

I hate to offend anyone but if you think you are the ancestor of a monkey I feel sorry for you. Scientists support global warming too and it is funny how now we find out about all the manipulation they have done with their "scientific proof". Look throughout history at all of the scientifically proven this and that only to find later in life that it was all wrong. Animals might have evolved over time. Such as snakes and whales having legs. But man sure as hell didn't come from some monkey. Science seems more and more to be a tool to force the masses into believing one thing or another. I find it odd that mostly it is a tool used to be anti-God. I also find it odd how the scientific community can't agree completely on a subject such as global warming yet all of the scientists who take the opposing view are ignored even though they have "scientific proof" also. How about the scientists that are ignored that say if you look at the Big Bang Theory correctly and other scientific facts that science proves there is a God? I think so called science is subjective.

We all come from different walks of life and we all have to make decisions for ourselves. I for one would like to see my friends in heaven. Just because we do not agree does not mean I won't be your friend or treat you with respect.

Didn't mean to derail this thing here. Back to the voting thing. Now that I think about it I think Krieq just said it best.
    Damn where do your kids go to school. I know we didn't have any of that when I went to high school a whole 4 years ago. We had a christian club and See You At the Pole every year. I know in the midwest none of that is happening.
    How does the sun rise from the east to the west? You will tell me its because of the rotation of the Earth around the Sun. Do you know how the Greeks thought it happened. It was Apollo in his chariot and all you saw was his wheel in the sky. We look back at it and skoff and laugh at them being silly. They didn't know how to explain it so they claimed it was done by their gods. Sounds a little like us on certain subjects.
    Mohhamed walked the earth too, why not believe in what he says?
    Vulchor:
    So I guess you are a staunch follower and believer of Hitler huh? He was real and walked the earth. Your arguments hold no water. I don't really believe you believe what Hitler said and stood for. We can all "what if" this all day so lets just say we don't agree and leave it at that.

I do live in the midwest and this is happening in our schools. Minnesota has foot baths in schools and Muslim only school buses. The schools also do not allow any type of pork product to be served.
    How do you feel about them not serving any meat on fridays during lent? I know they still do that
    They are installing the footbaths at Minnesota State and other colleges not public high school, and the bus controversy you are talking about was set up for the Tarek ibn Ziyad Academy. A muslim school. The ACLU is currently or was fighting this. How is this different than a school bus used for Saint Stephens the Martyr Catholic School. I know its because it is for a Christrian school
    I never went to a school that didn't serve meat on Friday during lent. Never heard of that. If a school is a private school with their own buses then I guess they dictate who rides them. If a school receiving public funding sets aside a set of buses for one group based on religion aren't we taking a step backwards towards segregation? If it is a muslim school then obviously it would most likely have only muslim school kids on it. I have no problem with that. If a school bus is for a Catholic school well I expect those kids to all be Catholics. No problem with that either. Just common sense right there.

Theses incidents of bending over backwards for Muslims is not just in universities. An elementary school in San Diego created a separate recess so muslim kids could have prayer time. In several schools across the country, Muslims are being allowed prayer time. Rooms are set aside for this purpose and students are sometimes excused from class to attend prayers.

Now maybe you are hearing me wrong. I am not saying people need to be indoctrinated with what I believe and that everything Christian has to be accepted in public schools. I am saying I am tired of the political correct nonsense that is dictating we not offend others as long as they aren't a Christian or Jew. It seems to be PC nowadays to slam everything Christian and Jewish. If I can't say a Christian Prayer in school you can't say a muslim prayer either. If a muslim is offended the school has no foot bath too bad. I know I was offended in school many times by all sorts of things but I survived. We need to have standards straight across the board for everyone.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    jsnake:
    ... We need to have standards straight across the board for everyone.

I agree...
    +1 agree
    I think religion is great. it gives people something to believe in, it gives peopel purpose, it gives people morals, it makes people want to help others-----even if it is (often) only for fear of an angry god. But I think things like the Bible should be read and enjoyed just like any other great tale of mythology or science fiction with a little bit of truth mixed in to keep the reader entertained. Its a great way to live your life and Jesus and being "born again" is a great pitch to make a buck on witty tshirts and bumper stickers.....just dont need to hear praising this god fellow after after sporting event, grammy nomination, political election, and loud fart gone bad..........PS I had 12 years of Catholic education, I know all about religion and rules in school.
    PS.....The comparison of Mohhamed to Hitler appears to show a degree of intolerance the Big J would not have liked very much.
    dbo:
    Is it just me or does anyone else think it would be a good idea to have people take a short test before voting.  I talk to too many people who say they made a big mistake voting for Obama in the last election.  I couldn't help but notice that many Obama supporters had no idea about his past voting record or have any clue about his agenda to "fundamentally transform America."  Many voted for him because he was cool and a good public speaker. I think you should know a little more about the person you are voting for besides that he is for hope and change. Hitler was a great public speaker and wanted hope and change.  That didn't work out so great for Germany.  I was not crazy about voting for  McCain but when i voted I knew how they both stood on the issues.  I know many voted for McCain without knowing anything about him, but i would bet twice as many uninformed voters voted for Obama.
    While I agree with a good deal of what your saying...the same could be said about the masses of uneducated, dirt poor, southerners that vote in groves for the same Republican party that does nothing for them except give more and more rhetoric about "marriage is between a man and a woman , democrats want yoru guns, democrats ant Jesus out". Playing on peoples emotions, who often do not have the intelligence to understand the real issues at hand, is a trick played on relied on by both parties. W would have never been in office if not for the "solid south", who I promise voted more on "morals" than mindpower.
    Just so you know where I am coming from. I believe in God, I believe in Jesus Christ, and I believe the Bible. I also believe that religion has caused more death and destruction in this world than any other cause. I am a Christian. I have no denomination. I do not beling to any church or group. I think organized religion is destroying our world. Organized religion has done more to hurt God than anything else ever could. I might not agree with some of you but I HEAR what you are saying. I understand where you are coming from. I might not agree but I am listening.

Brian "Head" Welch was the guitarist for KORN. He found God, beat meth, beat abuse, and quit. If you like music that is heavy like KORN his album is incredible. He wrote a song called Die Religion Die. I included a link to hear it on Youtube for you hardcore rockers. Below are the lyrics. Says it really well. Die Religion Die

I’m sick of all your rules
    They're so man-made
    You treat them all like fools
    You put my name to shame
    I’m everything you’re not
    I give them love
    My ways you have forgot
    You put yourselves above

I'll testify!
    It’s time to see religion die!
    The truth can’t lie!
    Who cares? Who's right?
    I'll crush the fight!

My church is not inside your building walls
    On Sundays you all hide, while the world just falls
    Now go into the world and destroy Hell
    You have authority, use it for the kill

Children come away with me
    I want you all to be mine

I am taking back what’s mine
    And you’ve killed too much time
    With pointing all your fingers
    At your kids that’s why they’re lost
    Try to look deep in their eyes
    You will see suicide
    Blame it on yourself
    Cause no one else will pay your price, your price

Die just, die religion die, just die
    Die just, die religion die, just die
    Die! Die! Die! Die! Die! Die! Die!
    Die! Religion, die! Die! Die! Die!
    Do not be afraid
    Religion is man-made
    Everything is OK
    The rules have just been changed
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    Vulchor:
    You brought up supposed similarities between Scripture and mythology as an attempt to remove accuracies within Scripture. I was merely stating that mythology is known to be a myth, not fact. However, Jesus Christ the person, is a fact who happens to be the central point of all Scripture. So rather than addressing this, you bring up Muhammad? You can try and dodge all you want, but bringing up different points while leaving other areas unanswered about doesn't prove anything.

On a side note, no where did I say one must believe in Christianity. Jesus the person is fact, Zeus is a known mythological figure. Go ahead and assume about my beliefs all day long. I find it interesting that just because I bring up that Jesus was real, as opposed to Zeus, you automatically think I'm a Christian. Huh, I wonder how most historian's would feel about your position on this?
    jsnake:
    Brian "Head" Welch was the guitarist for KORN.... beat abuse, and quit.
    He kicked abuse's a$$ like Chuck Norris beats the cancer out of cancer patients. Sorry man saw the opportunity and had to take it. Also liven the mood