Home General Discussion

Ghurka - Hate them or love them and why?

In my time smoking, I have seen some extreme reactions from mild-mannered BOTL who have strong opinions about Ghurkha cigars. Do you hate them or love them and why?

Comments

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the ghurkha rogue.
    As for the rest of their line, there is some decent stuff, but problems with construction and all, I never really find myself grabbing one.

As for loving or hating them, I don't really give them enough thought to say one way or another.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To many good sticks out there for reasonable price to fight construction issues. Of the very few I smoked they seemed to be pretty bland. I refuse to buy them..

The good news is, if you like them they can be had for very little $. I'm cheap just not that cheap B)
  • johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So as a  newB maybe my palate still needs to develop further. But that being said one of my first orders from C.com was the ghurkha mild & mellow sampler. It helped me to find that I like a little more strength in a cigar. I think the ghurkha symphony is a great cigar,even on an empty stomach.out of the 12 cigars in the sampler only had construction issues with one.
    Still need to do more research before I can say I love or hate them.
    Non Crux sed lux
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not had one that didnt have burn or construction issues.  The flavors I got out of them was not good enough to warrant fighting their issues so I dont smoke them.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    I've only had one Ghurka, The Red Witch. It was good, I wouldn't mind trying others. But my current opinion of them is decent. But like any brand, I'm sure there are some unappealing cigars they make as well.
    Crisius said:
    I've only had one Ghurka, The Red Witch. It was good, I wouldn't mind trying others. But my current opinion of them is decent. But like any brand, I'm sure there are some unappealing cigars they make as well.

I just realized you are up by Aberdeen. Not too far away.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ghurka is Ghurka. I get sales newsletters from about 25 stores online and nearly every time someone is having s Gurka blow out sale with about 20+ different blends it seems. I have never bought a Gurka per say to be buying it. I have gotten free ones in samplers etc. I have smoked a few, they are bland IMO. I have about 6 Ghurkas in my humi mostly Perfecto's that been there from day one. I have smoked 2 of them. I never had one blow up etc. However i have seen this happen. The ones I have smoked have smoked very well. I have friends that love them for the price and enjoy smoking them. I never gravitated there I guess.

My wife taught me a long time ago that when something is on sale all the time there is a reason its on sale and many times not for the good. I never went the Ghurka route when I started smoking. I went to forums and read reviews and started buying quality inexpensive cigars and went from there. There are plenty of good cheap smokes out there. I just don't see Ghurka as one of them for me.

Do I hate them, NAH... Do I love them NAH as well.  If you gave a choice between an 8 dollar Ghurka and an 8 dollar Crown Heads (as an example), I am not even thinking about buying the Ghurka. Their reputation alone keeps me away. 

Obviously though they must be selling a boat load of stogies since they are everywhere.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• WaterNerdWaterNerd Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Crisius said:
    I have a few. Pm me your info and I'll send some your way  :)
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt
    — Abraham Lincoln

• ForceRForceR Posts: 14
    I've had a couple of issues, but it doesn't seem to be THAT bad. I personally like them for the exact reason you are all wary: the price. In our market, in upstate NY, finding a stick of the same gauge for close to the same price is almost impossible. We often pay $9+ from the small places around town. Anyone have other suggestions in the same price range, gauge, and flavor?
  • WoodguardenWoodguarden Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
    Overpriced, mediocre, poorly constructed - enough said
    Depends on what you like, my personal favorite that is on the cheaper end is the 5 Vegas Gold, it's a nice light cigar. Just don't tell @Eulogy. He "loves" 5 vegas.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    I think they're the best and smoke them every day, just because they have such cool artwork on their bands.
    Good to know, after I send 20 to Steve I'll send you the rest
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you find any cigar that you like, you should un-apologetically smoke it. If you consistently find problems (construction, or taste) with any one brand, you might ought to avoid it. That's my take on all cigars but, that second sentence, for me, relates specifically to Gurks. 
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    ForceR said:
    I've had a couple of issues, but it doesn't seem to be THAT bad. I personally like them for the exact reason you are all wary: the price. In our market, in upstate NY, finding a stick of the same gauge for close to the same price is almost impossible. We often pay $9+ from the small places around town. Anyone have other suggestions in the same price range, gauge, and flavor?

What price range, gauge, and flavor are you looking for? I'll throw out the Room101 Payback and Tatuaje Tattoo. $5 robustos that smoke like $10 sticks.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
    SleevePlz said:
    ForceR said:

What price range, gauge, and flavor are you looking for? I'll throw out the Room101 Payback and Tatuaje Tattoo. $5 robustos that smoke like $10 sticks.
    I love the Tatuaje Tattoo. I've never tried the Room101. Thanks for the suggestion!

Usaf06 said:
    peter4jc said:
    I think they're the best and smoke them every day, just because they have such cool artwork on their bands.
    Good to know, after I send 20 to Steve I'll send you the rest
    Feel free to send them my way. :)
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz said:
    ForceR said:

And La Palina Classic
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• prosspross Posts: 874 ✭✭✭
    Usaf06 said:
    SleevePlz said:
    ForceR said:

And La Palina Classic
    Gran Habano Vintage 2002 is one of the better bangs for the buck also.
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gran Habano Vintage 2002 @pross

Let them sleep for a year or so and then see what they are like. They do improve.
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like Gurkha and have smoked all of them except the HMR. If I were to buy cheap cigars I would buy more. But I am really into the quality of amazing boutique cigars. Gurkha has tons of construction and quality issues. It has been mentioned they claim their cigars are worth $750 a box but you can get them on sale for $40 a box. They hold themselves in high regard and that bothers many people given most of it seems like marketing gimmicks. 

I know people from the company and they are great people. I will smoke them still.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I bought some Centurian from CCOM and they sucked! First cigar I tasted ammonia. I stay away from them. IMO they are the worst cigar I have ever smoked. F-Gurka! IMO. 
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've tried a number of Gurkhas. Construction issues and bland taste dominated almost all of them.The only one that I truly like is the Cellar Reserve.
  • jgkaminjgkamin Posts: 110 ✭✭
    Junk cigars, a million different lines that are all sub-par, way too much time trying to trick the consumer with smoke and mirrors. Fancy packaging, a catchy Name and calling it a $100 stick (but always 95% off) doesn't make it a $100 stick...it's a $5 stick!
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    5 Vegas offerings are far better then Gurkha. Flor de  los Antilles can regularly  be had at a steal. 

The amount of good sticks that are consistent in flavor and construction for 8 bucks or less is pretty much endless if your patient and shop smart.
    kswildcat said:
    5 Vegas offerings are far better then Gurkha. Flor de  los Antilles can regularly  be had at a steal. 

The amount of good sticks that are consistent in flavor and construction for 8 bucks or less is pretty much endless if your patient and shop smart.
    5 Vegas is a good, tasty smoke and pretty cheap too. ;) The Maduro though was pretty bland.

Don't think I've had a Flor De Las Antillas though.
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ForceR said:

Maybe you could try the Ave Maria line from AJ Fernandez. Great prices from CCOM and a large selection of sizes and samplers. The Connecticut wrapped are on the mellow side ( I like the Immaculata with coffee in the am) and the others have a bit more kick. Always well constructed and consistent flavor to me. Good Luck
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
    Check out the Torano line.
    Great construction and flavor at a reasonable price.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said: