Home Ratings & Reviews

Anyone tried La Perla Habana 1515?

raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
I'm a big fan of the Morados as one of the best value cigars around, but before I splurge on the unknown I just wanted to find out whether anyone had tried this and is significantly different than the usual AJ blend?

Comments

• Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't but I love the morados as well
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• jsnblnchrdjsnblnchrd Posts: 33
    Me and a friend of mine tried this one together earlier this week.  We were excited since it was a brand new cigar.  Let me tell you, by far, this is second worst cigar I've ever had.  The entire smoke, for as long as I let myself be tortured, tasted like I was shoving ashes in my mouth.  I even had to spit a few times to "purge" my mouth.  Do NOT give this one a try.  And on a side note, this cigar is ALREADY on the cigar sprint sale.  My guess is that they're not doing well.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the taking one for the team. I think it kind of proves that when a "brand name cigar" isn't manufactured by the brand itself but outsourced to other companies results can vary. Personally, I find the AJ creations to be hit or miss. This one might be in the latter category.  
  • Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Me and a friend of mine tried this one together earlier this week.  We were excited since it was a brand new cigar.  Let me tell you, by far, this is second worst cigar I've ever had.  The entire smoke, for as long as I let myself be tortured, tasted like I was shoving ashes in my mouth.  I even had to spit a few times to "purge" my mouth.  Do NOT give this one a try.  And on a side note, this cigar is ALREADY on the cigar sprint sale.  My guess is that they're not doing well.
    Just curious, what was the first-worst?
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    Just curious, what was the first-worst?

It was a stick from the Carolina cigar co.  A local place in Asheville that rolls their own.
    Anyone else tried these?  They're up on the DD today, curious if anyone has another opinion.  One mans drink is another mans poison.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
    edited July 2015
    Amos_Umwhat, the reviews on the "sister" site of C.com are mostly positive but seem a little "shill suspect." The only other "real" review I could find in a Google search was at Katman's review site, and he made it sound like the best thing since the invention of beer or something (the review was too weirdly written to be a shill). Maybe you can be the brave guy who takes another hit for the C.com forum team?  ;)
    I'm thinking about it.  The La Perla's I've had have been OK, the Morado and the White Pearl being a cut above the others, for me, but overall I've rarely returned to them.  Hmmm...

OK, I bit.  Inquiring minds want to know. :p

@Amos_Umwhat, if you really like them but don't want to be stuck with a full tenner I'll buy/trade some off you if you want. . 
    I'm thinking about it.  The La Perla's I've had have been OK, the Morado and the White Pearl being a cut above the others, for me, but overall I've rarely returned to them.  Hmmm...

You brave brave soul.....lol
    These came today, now I'm scared.  Do I try one ROTT?  I often do.  They look very nice in their cello.  I keep remembering my experience with SWAG, the nastiest cigar I've ever tasted.  They were far worse than Swishers or Backwoods.  What to do?

OK, I had to try it.

Remember, this is within less than 24 hours since being stuck in the mailbox.

In July, no less.

I've had cigars that were good ROTT.

This isn't one of them.

That being said, some of those that have been far less than stellar when first delivered, later turned into very good smokes, once they had some time in the humidor.  Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet comes to mind.  In fact, this one is similar, at least at this point.  That is to say, dry and a little harsh.

In fact, at this point that's about all I can say to describe it.  I'm getting none of those subtle flavors and nuances that we love about cigars.  For example, last night I had an Ave Maria Knights Templar, with some George Bowman rum, and about half way through I got a taste of apple-cinammon cobbler.  Getting nothing from this one.

So much for what it is, at this point.

What it's not:
    It's nowhere near as terrible as SWAG, as is witnessed by the fact that I'm not brushing my tongue with toothpaste and listerine right now.

Right now, it's comparable to most of the Victor Sinclairs I've had, although the one that I got from COTM a few months back was actually a very good cigar.

It's better than Raji's demise, Ron Mexico, and most of the "Don" so and so's that I've had.

once

So, it's off to the bottom of the humi for these guys for a month or so, and then I'll give it another shot.  Hoping to repeat that Sol Cubano "Oh my God how'd these get so much better?" experience.

Crossing my fingers.

At least they're robustos, which is my second least favorite vitola.  Gordos are the first least favorite.

• Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not fair to judge a cigar shipped in July until August has long past. LOL
    Well, I tried another one of these a couple days ago.  I can say that they are improving.  While the band and cedar wrapper slipped easily off the first, I had to pick at this one, breaking cedar and then tearing the band, which brought off a small piece of the wrapper underneath.  Wasn't a problem for the burn, and didn't continue to unravel.   This one was not as dryly harsh as the first, even had the slightest hint of a perfume.  There is also a strong bitter taste.  This isn't necessarily all bad, I think.  It reminded me of DRUM cigarette tobacco, which was one I liked back when I smoked those.  In fact, it was almost exactly that same bitter.  I'm leaving them alone again for awhile now.

It makes me wonder what AJ Fernandez thinks of them.  It must be hard to be a blender.  Surely you have a vision of what it will be, but only time will reveal if you're right or not.  I'm wondering if time will mellow these out?  That bitter taste I'm getting now may ease into something else in a year or so.  I'm also wondering how long these were aged at the factory prior to shipping?

• brodskalesbrodskales Posts: 78
    They seem advertised heavily by ccom, but, I've seen a lot of them on the sprint sale which is where I assume they dump the old and unsold.
    I smoked another of these a couple days ago, about 6 weeks in the humidor.  They are greatly improved.  Not vastly, or astoundingly, in fact greatly may be a bit of a stretch, but at the very least decidedly improved.

The cedar slipped off with just a hint of resistance.  The cigar feels solid.  Medium draw, seems well built.  The harshness is disappearing, and that bitterness with just a hint of perfume is turning into a dense dark floral essence.  The burn was a little lopsided, but I was sitting down by the water, a bit of a breeze may have been the cause.  It was strong, even to the point of a little lightheadedness, which is unusual for me.  It's been a long time since I had a Morado, but if memory serves, this one hasn't quite caught up to that level of flavor yet, although the construction is better than the Morado's I've had.

So, I smoked the last of that 10-pack from July.  Overall, kind of disappointed.  The cigars got better over time, no doubt about it, but the Sol Cubano Cuban Cabinet experience was in no way repeated. 

For awhile it seemed that the 1515 was going to come into its own, but in the end, at least judging by the one I had yesterday, it simply became a rather one-dimensional so-so smoke.  Not terrible, nowhere near as bad as ROTT, which is what I believe @jsnblnchrd must have experienced, but nowhere near the hype.

meh.

Now, those are all just my opinions, and I have to say, I'm really curious as to what other people thought.  Surely to goodness I'm not the only one to have tried these, especially since they sent one out with the COTM a couple months back.

I would really like to hear anyone else's thoughts.  Some may have loved it, we're all different.

Anyone?

@Amos_Umwhat, since I posted the topic I thank you for your long-term review. I never ended up trying one and glad that I didn't spend the money. I think there are just some cigar brands where you're safe sticking with what they do best. La Perla might be one of them.  
  • NoOneNoOne Posts: 1
    edited May 2016
    Really one of the most disappointing reviews I have ever read because the reviewer is wrong, wrong, wrong. I smoke a wide range of reasonably priced sticks to expensive cigars, not inexpensive bundles. I have to say this, the 1515 10 pack I purchased were very good, well constructed and burned very even. I am now looking at a third purchase. This is a very good cigar.
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NoOne said:
    Really one of the most disappointing reviews I have ever read because the reviewer is wrong, wrong, wrong. I smoke a wide range of reasonably priced sticks to expensive cigars, not inexpensive bundles. I have to say this, the 1515 10 pack I purchased were very good, well constructed and burned very even. I am now looking at a third purchase. This is a very good cigar.
    To each is own. Neither the reviewer nor you are wrong. Smoke what you like. Not everyone has the same pallet. Now ctfd and go introduce yourself
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

NoOne said:
    Feel free to disagree with the review, but I trust @Amos_Umwhat's cigar reviews more that 95% of the so-called "expert reviews" I read on sites like CA and elsewhere. There's no such thing as a "wrong" opinion. Either you agree or disagree.   
  • kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @NoOne, I read his review and did not see where he said poor construction. He did say burn was a bit off, but could have been due to wind. Seems to me a well written experience.
    You may find this cigar to be enjoyable but you do not set the standard. By saying "one of the most disappointing reviews" and "wrong wrong wrong" you come across as someone that thinks you do set the standard. I'm very sure @Amos_Umwhat is very capable of knowing what he tastes, likes and dislikes. Although I'm not sure how his taste aligns with mine I trust his opinion. 
    right wrong
    Well, I've been wrong before.  ;)

• peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,315 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I've been wrong before.  ;)
    Once.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had bought a 5'er of these a while back, because they were on a deal and I like Sumatra tobacco.
    These sat for some time before I was able to get to one and they did not have my favored Sumatra taste to them. They were quite a bit bitter.
    I have to agree with @Amos_Umwhat that they are not terrible, but they aren't great either. 

@NoOne
    It's ok to disagree, as most of us have a lot of cigars we dislike that others like.
    That doesn't make someone wrong, wrong, wrong.
    That just means they don't like what you do.
    Nothing wrong with that. 

I smoke a wide range of reasonably priced sticks to expensive cigars, not inexpensive bundles.
    Do you have any idea how condescending that sounds?
    I do smoke inexpensive bundels sometimes, as some are pretty damn good.
    But I also have smoke very expensive cigars, as some of these guys can attest to.

Does that make me any more of an x-spurt? Not at all.
    Does that mean I can tell anyone here what they should like or shouldn't like or that they are wrong in their views of a cigar? Hell no.

In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I dug the last one I had out yesterday and I would agree, not terrible , not great
    A little dirt never hurt
    dirtdude said:
    I dug the last one I had out yesterday and I would agree, not terrible , not great
    You dug it?