Home Cigar 101

Salty cigars

AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2016 in Cigar 101
The last few cigars I've smoked  from my humidor have had a  Very Very salty taste. Not one brand but the few different ones I've smoked. Temp has been steady 72-75 and so has humi (64-68%). Have always used Boveda packs. The humi is a small 75 ct. with about 35-40 cigars in it and full. Weather has been very dry and hot here for the NE. Any ideas and are these cigars ruined? 

Comments

• onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭

Salt? Did your wife get mad at you? Is the salt taste on the wrapper or is it the smoke itself?

Have you taken any meds lately antibiotics, OTC allergy or cold tablets lately? any of these will thro  your taste buds off for a while.

I wouldn't think there is anything wrong with your cigars, nor can I think of any reason that the cigars would taste like salt.

• AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Smell fine, wrapper fine, meds as usual. Could be me. Just came from a long weekend bender of golf, hot weather, and smoking cigars all day and night. Been drinking a ton of water lately.
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Albinfk said:
    Smell fine, wrapper fine, meds as usual. Could be me. Just came from a long weekend bender of golf, hot weather, and smoking cigars all day and night. Been drinking a ton of water lately.
    The weather might be the key. If you're drinking a lot of water because of the heat, chances are you might have a sodium imbalance due to underhydration. Sodium comes out in sweat, and may also be coming out in your saliva, which affects the tastebuds.  

• 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with @raisindot.
    Wash your face on a hot day, try water with your cigar and make sure you have a clean palate.
    See if that makes any difference.
    I have a similar problem here, when the weather gets warm.

It's surprising what will affect your tastes. 
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Plus, you should know that the eggs and larvae of tobacco beetles taste like salt when they're burned.

LOL, just giving the new guy some sh*t.

BTW, Al, what'd you score at Ccom, and how what your experience at Mecca?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had several cigars where the wrapper and lick were very salty, not sure why and like others just enjoyed it and didn't give it another thought. Interesting discussion for sure though :)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    dirtdude said:
    sweat like two rats boinking in a wool sock.

there is just no end to the education I am getting here
    LOL the lesbian at a fish market was my favorite hahaha

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dirtdude said:
    sweat like two rats boinking in a wool sock.

there is just no end to the education I am getting here
    Yo, @dirtdude, did I understand you to say you were in the tunneling/mining field?  If that's so, based on my experience with miners, I'd sorta expect your language to be even saltier than the example of two rats....  N'est ce pas?
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    oh my language has its share of color, just hadn't heard that one
    A little dirt never hurt
  • WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hotter than a 2 d:ck'ed donkey in heat.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
    Wylaff said:
    Or, as in a blend of coffee by Raven's Brew.....

• AlbinfkAlbinfk Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Peter for the beetle onslaught warning. Now I'll be checking my humi every hour for the "Alien" to come busting outa my cigars from within. Thanks for all the info everybody. I think I've been dehydrated and makes sense. Tasted like I was a cow licking a salt block. CCOM was everything I could have dreamed about. Let's just say I went in there with a budget and left that right out the window. Thought that counts.
  • CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,144 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've had a salty taste on a few occasions. Never unpleasant, but enough to notice. I chalked it up to a me problem and not a cigar problem. Guess I was probably right. 
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting read! I don't recall any slat but I smoke mostly maduros so I'm on the sweet tooth side
    Money can't buy taste
  • CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go to Amazon and look up/order a product called: TRIORAL - Oral Rehydration Salts 

Miracle in a packet for when you have been burning the candle at both ends by too much activity, drinking/partying, or a combo of both. Get the 50-pack and thank me later! 
    Go to Amazon and look up/order a product called: TRIORAL - Oral Rehydration Salts 

Miracle in a packet for when you have been burning the candle at both ends by too much activity, drinking/partying, or a combo of both. Get the 50-pack and thank me later! 
    Absolutely.

I don't drink, but I am a thin person and it doesn't take much sweating to lose a lot of salt.
    A lot of nights during the summer, I have to take salt first thing in the morning, because if I don't I can end up with dehydration headaches.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    0patience said: I am a thin person 

Gotta plump up brother. It's the Amur'cun thing ta do. 

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

webmost said:

Until I was 45, I maintained about 150 lbs.
    I did plump up to 180, then broke my arm and dropped back down to 155. I might be tipping the scales at 165 now. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    0patience said:
    webmost said:

Until I was 45, I maintained about 150 lbs.
    I did plump up to 180, then broke my arm and dropped back down to 155. I might be tipping the scales at 165 now. LOL!
    I was 165lbs once in the third grade. 
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    peter4jc said:
    Plus, you should know that the eggs and larvae of tobacco beetles taste like salt when they're burned.

LOL, just giving the new guy some sh*t.

BTW, Al, what'd you score at Ccom, and how what your experience at Mecca?
    I thought they tasted like chicken.
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    I've had several cigars where the wrapper and lick were very salty, not sure why and like others just enjoyed it and didn't give it another thought. Interesting discussion for sure though :)

Brett
    President Clinton wrapper? LOL! Just kidding Brett.

Brett
    I did not have sex with that "woman" ;)

Brett
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭

Brett
    I did not have **** with that "woman" ;)

Brett
    No but that Gurkha did
    Money can't buy taste
    Hahahahahahahahahaha
  • Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
    I did not have **** with that "woman" ;)

Brett
    No but that Gurkha did
    Talk about infused cigars...
    Life is good, don't waste it.
  • CrisiusCrisius Posts: 414 ✭✭✭
    jlmarta said:
    Wylaff said:

Dead Mans Reach is where it's at for Ravens Brew!
    Crisius said:
    jlmarta said:
    Wylaff said:

Dead Mans Reach is where it's at for Ravens Brew!
    Of the two blends, I agree with you. I only chose this example because the name fit well with the conversation at the time. 

Deadman's Reach is pretty good but I think my taste buds have recovered sufficiently from the chemo to the point where I can now taste some of the better single origin coffees rather than blends. My current favorite is Ethiopian Yirgacheffe like I'm getting from @peter4jc

And now, folks, back to the original topic of this thread....  LOL