Home Cigar 101

Xikar vs Colibri V cutter

GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
I bought a cheap v cutter to take on vacation and looking to purchase a better one. 
Your thoughts on which one is better? I know the Xikar has a great warranty and the Colibri is heavier. Thanks M
Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
Tagged:

Comments

• CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    I know bob has the Colibri. He is the one I would ask about thi . 
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Xikar all the way!! I did buy a cheapy made by vertigo since it has the same blade and works good for cheap
    Money can't buy taste
  • Dark_RoastDark_Roast Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭
    Xikar! Eph the rest!!
  • jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a colibri v cutter and dig it. Uber sharp, two year (not a lifetime) warranty, and nice heft in the hand.

Have had it 3 or so months and am pleased with it
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    The colibri I have is same model as one I tested out at Smokey's B&M in Knoxville. I found one on auction and got it for half retail. I like it but it's kinda built for larger ring gauge cigars. It cuts a really deep v. It's also twice as thick and twice as heavy as a Xikar teardrop style cutter so IMHO it isn't great for pocket carry. And I have not tried a xikar v cutter in a long time so I can't really compare them for you.
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Colibri would be my choice. It provides a deeper cut than the xikar if you want it. I believe the colibri has a lifetime warranty as well.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the Xikar, no complaints. On a large ring it does help the draw too make two cuts, so it makes an x, I don't smoke many 60 ring.cigars tho so it's not really a big deal for me.
  • GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thank you all for the input. Going to Primo cigar shop in Sante Fe today and I think they have both in stock. 
  • avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should probably sit there and smoke 2 cigars then and try both out.  I know when you are all done though that you will enjoy the colibri better :)
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been wanting a v-cutter, its the only method of cut that I don't have and this has been an interesting read. I think I would go with the Colibri if it were me, I like heft in the hand with cutters and lighters and this would fit the bill, plus having it be a deeper cut is more attractive to me. Thanks for the thoughts and opinions fellas very good stuff!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    edited August 2016
    I found a couple of Video reviews.    I didn't watch every minute of either of these videos but, seeing the product in action might be helpful to anyone who is interested in this cutter. I do not necessarily agree with anything these guys have to say. In fact, having used the cutter myself, I think one of these guys is full of shyt and, I got the impression that the other guy isn't all that familiar with guillotine cutters so, as for him rating this cutter as his favorite,....... I'd rate his opinion as 0 on a 1-10 scale. 

In the first one, skip ahead to 1:40 if you want to watch it actually cut a cigar.
     https://youtu.be/WLVV--r844o

https://youtu.be/iiDuvrAAJoA
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,908 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never used the Xikar but the Colibri does a good job. 
  • NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    I purchased the Colibri and I really like the cut, it makes a smooth draw. I have had it a week now, So the expectation is higher than the knowledge. I like the heft of it in my hand and it seems reliable. Will report again on it later.
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • GoCardsGoCards Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    I bought the xikar, it seems to do a pretty good job with very clean cuts.  I think I'm still trying to figure out when to use the different types of cutter.  I've noticed less draw lately, so I just ordered a xikar punch to try.  
  • NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a variety of cutters. I like the xikar for smaller gauge and the colibri for bigger ones like this. image

There is a bunch of personal preference that comes into play. I like being able to choose my cutter by my cigar.  Anyway enjoy the smoke... I always do!
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    xikar --- lifetime warranty --- done deal. 

i've had my xikar xi cutter for over 5 years with no problems. 

however, the blades have finally started to get dull and i mailed it into xikar last friday for warranty service. 

i got an e-mail from xikar earlier today saying they had received my cutter, replaced it, and are sending it back to me. 

so, i will be getting a brand new, freshly sharpened cutter ... with no questions asked and the only cost to me was a few dollars postage to send it to them. 

can't beat that kind of service.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    talked me into it
    A little dirt never hurt
  • YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the xikar.  I've had a couple of the colibri and neither seemed sharp.  They sort of mashed the tip of the cigar rather than cutting it.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thats a nice one John, love the Redwood color to the wood. 
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    jgibv said:
    Got my new cutter in the mail today....less than a week after sending it in for warranty repair

Nice but, this thread is for V cutters. Get that outta here.  
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob_Luken said:
    jgibv said:
    Got my new cutter in the mail today....less than a week after sending it in for warranty repair

Nice but, this thread is for V cutters. Get that outta here.  
    well crap.....

reading comprehension has never been one of my strengths

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think I would trust the first guy in his video he calls the cigar a "box cut" if he doesn't know that it's a "box press" then he doesn't smoke much lol
  • peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,321 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I say buy what you want.  You really have more than one cutter at your disposal, right?  So buy a Xikar V and a Colibri V, and then use either one, or one of the two punches you have or the Xikar guillotine.  Am I right?

Thread killer, I know.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such a killjoy
    A little dirt never hurt
    peter4jc said:
    I say buy what you want.  You really have more than one cutter at your disposal, right?  So buy a Xikar V and a Colibri V, and then use either one, or one of the two punches you have or the Xikar guillotine.  Am I right?

Thread killer, I know.
    Yoda has spoken truth and knows me too well. 
    I will eventually get both cutters. The Xicar carbon fiber because it matches my carbon fiber 3 cigar case, and the Colibri because I have CAS! 
    I have a brand new Colibri Slice black lacquer and gunmetal cutter that I would like to trade for Tatuaje Anarchy if anyone is interested. image
    edited October 2016

V-Cutters ONLY! Stay on-subject. PLEASE! 

• silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,049 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have the Xikar carbon fiber, works well.
    Bob_Luken said:

V-Cutters ONLY! Stay on-subject. PLEASE! 

I started this thread D@MN IT!  LOL