Home General Discussion

USPS vs. UPS

When ccom used USPS it seemed like I got my sticks a lot faster. Like 2 days after I ordered. I even got some the next day depending on when I made the purchase. Does anybody know why they changed?

Comments

• rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I think a lot of people were having problems with USPS holding the shipments and taking forever to deliver. I know that there are times when I get my package the next day and then sometimes it takes 5 days and I'm only in the next state.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Frankly, I wouldn't trust the USPS to deliver anything on time, if at all. I could bore you for hours with tales of rotten (or no) service but you probably get my drift.

I've always had good luck with UPS.

Marty

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Well down here in TX it takes a lot longer to get here using UPS. USPS it is always here within 4-6 days, with UPS it will take over a week almost everytime.
  • ScottUScottU Posts: 194
    I always receive my packages via UPS. The big brown truck never fails to deliver 3 days after my order (from ccom anyway)
  • GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    I have never had a problem with either one.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I get my sticks in 2 days every time from USPostal. No extra charges. I get my sticks in 5-6 Days using UPS. When I order sticks, I call in and specify US Postal. This gets me 2 day shipping for no extra charge.
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Usps used to take longer but lately they've stepped it up.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I've always had good luck with USPS. If I have a choice between USPS Priority and UPS Basic, my choice goes to USPS every time. If I'm going UPS, I spring for the 2nd day upgrade.

edit for clarification: I choose USPS over UPS for the time factor as well. If something gets shipped to me UPS Basic, it generally takes 7 days to arrive, the only exception being if it is shipped on Monday then chances are good I'll get it Friday. I like UPS, but springing for the 2nd day upgrade every time gets spendy.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    We just had this conversation not to long ago when Krieg didn't get his Diesels in a timely manner from UPS. I believe the mass majority of people who commented said they definately like USPS. UPS always takes a couple more days to reach me than USPS. I'm sure it's different everywhere.
  • NYHCx516xNYHCx516x Posts: 728
    USPS - 2 days - every time. UPS.... well over a week - every time
  • JZJZ Posts: 827
    There are good and bad for both. I think UPS has better tracking, but USPS delivers Saturdays!
  • HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    NYHCx516x:
    USPS - 2 days - every time. UPS.... well over a week - every time

ditto. Same here, although UPS sometimes takes 4-5 days as opposed to a full week.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    usps usually takes just couple of days for me, but then ccom sends it out via ups carry, then it takes up to 2 weeks to got. one word for that....ridiculous.

"Long ashes my friends."

• kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    when my packages come UPS i get my packages the next day .... i'll get my conf# at midnight or 1am and its there that same day ...... i love being near the shipping facility and a monster UPS hub
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    I Had this same question...my first order from ccom took 9 days to California UPS, tracking this thing was a Nightmare, Departed and Scan was same day of the order. I didnt get another scan for 4 days then again in 2 days it landed 70 miles from me and took 3 more days to get here. I get packages from the carolinas and florida in 4-5 days us Postal, and sometimes 3 days. I Do allot of Ebay...... I NEVER use UPS or Fed EX. The SHipping deal for me will definatley make me think twice before placing an Oder for a Daily deal or a Gift. I am not into 2 week waits for anything. INO ...... it is not good business to make people wait that long for an online order. Peace
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    Redtailhawkoz:
    I Do allot of Ebay...... I NEVER use UPS or Fed EX. The SHipping deal for me will definatley make me think twice before placing an Oder for a Daily deal or a Gift. I am not into 2 week waits for anything.
    Hey Ozzie, I know how you feel. What I have been doing when I order the daily deal is contacting one of the sales people directly, I deal with Tim Blythe, and requesting USPS Priority shipping. He charges me the same as UPS Basic and it gets here in 3 days. Just food for thought if UPS Basic doesn't cut the mustard for you...I know I don't like waiting that long. Instant gratification is the name of the game. :)
  • BStayerBStayer Posts: 318
    In my area, USPS SUCKS!!! UPS always delivers consistently. USPS doesn't even deliver half the time. They expect me to go pick up the small box at the post office. I gladly pay extra for the service provided by UPS or FedEx.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Thanks for the Tip and The Name! I understand that some dont get good service from one or the other, I just know what works where I am....The forums are Fantastic!
  • Cooper33Cooper33 Posts: 168
    Here in North Louisiana it has never mattered to me. I've never had any problems with any carrier until the last few months..when UPS has started to suck. Their website will say a package has been delivered when it hasn't. Several packages lately have been sent back as undeliverable etc. Luckily, all my cigars have actually made it so far!
  • laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    For us Northern BOTL it is USPS all the way. UPS will charge a "Brokerage fee" of like $30 for packages coming to Canada. This fee is applied automatically, which is NOT done by USPS. They let the package go to customs of the intended country for them to apply Taxes and fees, which means a fair amount of cheaper packages do NOT get stopped or have fees added at the border. USPS will get it here as quickly and ALWAYS cheaper. Never had a problem with USPS as far as broken items or delayed delivery times. I think they do a great job considering the volume of mail they deliver every day.
  • DiamondogDiamondog Posts: 4,169
    laker1963:
    For us Northern BOTL it is USPS all the way. UPS will charge a "Brokerage fee" of like $30 for packages coming to Canada. This fee is applied automatically, which is NOT done by USPS. They let the package go to customs of the intended country for them to apply Taxes and fees, which means a fair amount of cheaper packages do NOT get stopped or have fees added at the border. USPS will get it here as quickly and ALWAYS cheaper. Never had a problem with USPS as far as broken items or delayed delivery times. I think they do a great job considering the volume of mail they deliver every day.
    Dido!
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I get mine in about 3 days from USPS, and about 7-8 from UPS, but the kicker is that USPS always comes to my house, UPS always comes to a house about 1/4 mile away...I always end up walking down there and back like 5-6 times on the nights when I'm expecting packages, and I'm always worried someone else will end up smoking my sticks...
  • timbtimb Posts: 353 ✭✭✭

Hello gentlemen!  Feel free to email me directly - tblythe @ cigar.com - with all your order requests.  (if you work with Jeff or Andy, the same applies to them)

I can specify USPS or UPS for you every time.  Oh and mention code 'SCG' for kicks.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what I can do for you!

• phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    UPS can suck it as far as I'm concerned. I love the drivers they do their best but I've run into so many issues with their service. Though packages usually get here but the people on the phone are such Aholes... I won't do business with a company like that. Yeah I know, everyone has people that are Aholes, but I've called them on multiple occasions with the same effect. No one seems to help, even a manager, supervisor and writing to them. USPS has always come through, braved the snow last year to deliver my package, delivered something this Xmas day. FEDex and UPS really are far inferior.
    phobicsquirrel:
    UPS can suck it as far as I'm concerned. I love the drivers they do their best but I've run into so many issues with their service. Though packages usually get here but the people on the phone are such Aholes... I won't do business with a company like that. Yeah I know, everyone has people that are Aholes, but I've called them on multiple occasions with the same effect. No one seems to help, even a manager, supervisor and writing to them. USPS has always come through, braved the snow last year to deliver my package, delivered something this Xmas day. FEDex and UPS really are far inferior.
    USPS works Christmas day? WOW
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Diamondog:
    phobicsquirrel:
    USPS works Christmas day? WOW
    Hmm.. "I" didn't get any mail Christmas day...

As far as my opinion on the USPS vs UPS debate, I strongly prefer USPS. My first few orders from Ccom came USPS, and delivered straight to my door in 2 days...to California! - awesome! Last couple have been through UPS, and it took 2+ weeks! In the future (now I that I know), I will directly specify USPS..

As always, my opinion stands: Ccom ROCKS
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • timbtimb Posts: 353 ✭✭✭
    Hays - just shoot me an email when you're ready and mention 'PM SCG' in the subject line.  I'll take care of the rest!!
    timb:

Hello gentlemen!  Feel free to email me directly - tblythe @ cigar.com - with all your order requests.  (if you work with Jeff or Andy, the same applies to them)

I can specify USPS or UPS for you every time.  Oh and mention code 'SCG' for kicks.  I think you'll be pleasantly surprised with what I can do for you!

I am sending a buddy of mine your way, he's a new customer......
  • HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    timb:
    Hays - just shoot me an email when you're ready and mention 'PM SCG' in the subject line.  I'll take care of the rest!!
    Sounds good Tim..Will do. Unfortunately, don't know how soon I'll be able to buy some sticks again, but I'll keep this in mind.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    having the sales reps on the forums is a great thing, thanks Tim. next time I order i will call in. Can I do this with Paypal as well, and then just call after the fact like i've been doing when I specify shipping thru USPS