Home Non Cigar Related

"avatar" in 3d

jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
holy crap fellas, that was truely a remarkable experience. I had no idea 3d movies had advanced so much. this is a far cry from the blue/red 3d experience of jaws back in the day. these days they use polarized lenses, whatever that means. but the scenery in this movie was just jaw dropping in 3d. I sat absolutely stunned by what I was seeing for the first hour of the movie, I actually had a grin on my face, and thats rare for me. the movie itself was entertaining, though it does have a hippy/new age tree hugger propoganda element to it. other than that, it was probly the most imaginative piece I have ever seen.

Comments

• SmokeeeSmokeee Posts: 220
    Saw it tonight.... It's Bad A$$... completely off the chain. Visually stimulating and very thought provoking. Half way through it I too found a huge grin on my face and saying "I already can't wait to see this again!" But yeah- the 3D has come a long way since I saw "Honey I shrunk the kids" @ MGM mid 90's. Avatar is THE must see movie of the year!!
  • nightmaremike31nightmaremike31 Posts: 718 ✭✭✭
    I don't know... It looks visually pleasing, but I'm not big on the "Dances with Fern Gully" theme.

A movie can be filmed with incredible story worth far more than the thrift store camera used to film it...

And a movie can be filmed in amazing quality with 3-D effects, and not the best story...

I ask because I'm curious, is this a well blended movie of effects and story? I hear so much of both that I just can't sell my self to see it... yet
  • phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I have yet to see a live action film done by James Cameron that I have not enjoyed, all have been amazing. I'm looking forward to seeing this.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    I really couldnt tell you, I was too distracted by the realistic immersion. thinking about seeing it again this weekend, and im a cheapskate, never see a movie twice in the theater.
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't wait to see this movie 3D or not.
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I have heard nothing but great reviews from just about everyone I know after seeing this movie. I was on the fence because I don't normaly like movies like this but I have to see it now.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I just got home from seeing it in IMAX. It was really cool.

The story was a little predictable at times, but the effects and everything were really nicely done.
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    ejenne87:
    I have heard nothing but great reviews from just about everyone I know after seeing this movie. I was on the fence because I don't normaly like movies like this but I have to see it now.
    Worth seeing. I was on the fence too before seeing it, and I'm glad I went and saw it.
    bbc020:
    ejenne87:
    Worth seeing. I was on the fence too before seeing it, and I'm glad I went and saw it.
    Good to know. I'll have to see about renting it when I get home.
  • Hawk55Hawk55 Posts: 846
    Sounds like a great movie...lots of folks are talking good things about it. I would like to c it n imax...and definitely hope it becomes a video game also...
  • bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Hawk55:
    Sounds like a great movie...lots of folks are talking good things about it. I would like to c it n imax...and definitely hope it becomes a video game also...
    Pretty sure the video game is already out or coming out very soon.
  • RedtailhawkozRedtailhawkoz Posts: 2,915
    Ive got Tickets fir Jan 2nd at the Imax Theater here in Sacramento to see it in 3 d I cant waitsome friends already went and told me it is incredible and you feel like your in the movie! Blessed
    bbc020:
    Hawk55:
    Pretty sure the video game is already out or coming out very soon.
    The game is already out. It comes in a package deal as well, you get the system and two games I think...
  • Cooper33Cooper33 Posts: 168
    the video game is supposedly pretty terribad.
    Cooper33:
    the video game is supposedly pretty terribad.
    The games they give out with the systems as bundles are historicaly terrible, with the exception of a few... I normaly just give the free games away, usualy to my brothers who will play anything
  • ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    Avatar looks really great! I'll probably go by myself during a matinee (cheaper then). Wife doesn't care for the sci-fi type. Maybe I can convince her to go if there's a romantic theme. Of course, the 3D thing is cool. Wife couldn't take that, tho...motion sickness. Can you see the movie ok w/o the glasses? I know the glasses add to the experience but I'm wondering about when it comes out on DVD.
  • jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    the movie without the glasses is wierd looking, but watchable I guess. just that everything has a shadow to it, kindof blurry looking but not really.
  • ScramblerScrambler Posts: 746 ✭✭
    I think it would be really annoying to watch in IMAX 3d without the glasses. You have the same image being broadcast twice on the screen, so everything would be seen in double vision. I don't know how RealD 3D would look without the glasses, their system works differently.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    I just got done watching this in 3d and it was pretty damn good. The story was a little sappy but damn entertaining and the visuals were mind blowing. Literally, my brain was stuck on the seat in front of me.
  • SmokeeeSmokeee Posts: 220
    ScottTDawg:
    Avatar looks really great! I'll probably go by myself during a matinee (cheaper then). Wife doesn't care for the sci-fi type. Maybe I can convince her to go if there's a romantic theme. Of course, the 3D thing is cool. Wife couldn't take that, tho...motion sickness. Can you see the movie ok w/o the glasses? I know the glasses add to the experience but I'm wondering about when it comes out on DVD.
    Hey Scott! I too get some motion sickness/migraines from fast flashy movies. This movie has a little bit for everyone though... A sappy romantic story line and some bad a$$ fight scenes. However, I did end up taking my glasses off and/or going to the bathroom (long movie) when the battle scenes started. You could always go and try it for the first 20 min or so with a back up movie in mind. We've had to get a refund or switch movies on more than one occassion because a movie was to flashy or had unstable camera work. Good Luck & let us know!
  • nsezellnsezell Posts: 294
    I saw it last night, but the theater only posted the times of the non-3D movie, and didn't specify which one was posted, so when we got there we were late for the 3D version and had to watch the normal one or go home. It was 2 bucks cheaper so we settled for non-3D and it was pretty awesome...
  • FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Im with you Nezell. My theater only posted non 3-D times also. We go there and missed the 3-D version. I plan on going again, It Was That Good! If you havent seen it go to the bathroom before hand as its abouth 2:45 long. Im pretty good about it, but 3 hours and a huge soda and I had to take a leak near the end! Story was great! I will go and say that this movie may be the younger generations STAR WARS here! It was that good.....