Home Non Cigar Related

Dentures?

0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
Next month, I go in to have the remainder of my teeth pulled and get dentures.
Military dentists and bad dentists have pretty much screwed up my teeth and the costs of crowns is just getting ridiculous. 
Plus Indian Health doesn't cover Crowns, so with that and my regular Dental Insurance, each crown is about $1,000 out of pocket and my insurance only covers one per year.

Anyone have dentures?
Was it worth doing? 
Any problems?

If things go well, I will have a full set of teeth on Thanksgiving. LOL!

In Fumo Pax
Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
Atmospheric pressure and crap.

Comments

• johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @0patience  I'm glad you asked this,I too have been wondering about this. I was wondering if it will change the way a cigar tastes. I just had two of my front teeth pulled,then found out my insurance won't cover dentures until December 2017.
    Thanks you dirty bastards :#
    I feel for you Brother dental pain is the worst  
    Non Crux sed lux
  • arch72arch72 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know if dentures change your taste buds but I do know that broken or bad teeth will I am still saving up to a couple teeth out 
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm kind of ashamed to admit that if I didn't have benefits as a native american, I wouldn't be able to afford to have this done, as my dental insurance would only cover a small portion of it and I would have to come up with roughly $3,000 for having my teeth pulled and the cost of the dentures.

Fortunately, Indian Health covers the teeth pulling and a family member has a denture business, so the cost to me was $850 for the dentures.

It amazes me that in this country, our dental coverage is so poor that people can't afford to have dental work WITH insurance.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    I've been looking into care credit,it's a low interest credit card to use towards medical bills. Seems to be pretty good,My  dad has used them and seems to be going well.
    Non Crux sed lux
    Yeah and I have insurance but there are no dentist in my town I would have to travel 250 mile round trip and I don't drive.And my family sucks they don;t help much if at all (other than my mother )
    johnnyB said:
    I've been looking into care credit,it's a low interest credit card to use towards medical bills. Seems to be pretty good,My  dad has used them and seems to be going well.
    One of the guys at work tried to get that, but his credit wasn't good enough. 
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    arch72 said:
    Yeah and I have insurance but there are no dentist in my town I would have to travel 250 mile round trip and I don't drive.And my family sucks they don;t help much if at all (other than my mother )
    I'm sorry to hear that.
    I agree that teeth problems are no fun and the problems they cause, there should be more to help folks.

The last 2 years, my wife's teeth have been a couple grand.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    Yeah I have to pay $250.00 per tooth for extraction so I have to make a choice between cigars or tooth removed lol
    That seems pretty high per tooth. But I guess with the limited dental in your area they can charge that  :#

Non Crux sed lux
    It would be around $150-175 per tooth extraction if I used my regular dental insurance here.
    And a max of $1250 per year.
    So if I had to use my regular dental insurance, it would be at least 2 years to get it all done.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

Oh no Mr Bill 
    Non Crux sed lux
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    my wife had a root canal along with a crown in mexico when I was out of work this summer with no insurance (was I breaking the law)
    $600 out the door, we get all our dental done there

glad you mentioned that, fixing that tooth should be worth a couple nice boxes
    A little dirt never hurt
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    My wife used a local company named Affordable Dentures. Not terribly expensive but the quality of their work was horrible. Years later and we are still having to have broken off teeth surgically removed. Beware of things that seem to good to be true. They generally are.
  • Puff_DougiePuff_Dougie Posts: 4,599 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A ran into the same issue about 6 years ago. Opted for the full extraction and dentures. Had four posts implanted in the bottom gum line to anchor the lower plate. Have not had any problems so far, and better yet, no more dental pain. I was pretty self conscious at first, especially since my livelihood depends on talking to people, but nobody can tell un less I tell them. I think it affects the taste of cigars somewhat, because the upper plate covers the entire palate, but it hasn't curtailed my enjoyment of cigars.
    "When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name." - Charles Haddon Spurgeon
  • First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,140 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The VA has been yanking my teeth for years. I have a lower partial that is uncomfortable but works. No cost to me but i figure I paid for it all as a young man. My better half had over $3000 worth of crowns done this spring and I paid for them. I hope she don't bite me.
  • BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,644 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gumby!! Where's his pony pal Pokey too?
    Wqell, this thread went south quickly. LOL!

But here is another question for those who have dentures.
    What foods cause problems or irritation with dentures?
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
     Crushed red pepper flakes under your plate are a nuisance. Coarse ground black pepper, too, but for a different reason. The black pepper isn't hot - it's more like a sharp pebble under your plate. 

So sayeth the oldfart.....  :p
    This week may suck a little. I go in tomorrow to have my teeth removed and dentures put in.
    So today, I am enjoying a cigar...... or two. LOL!

Hoping that the soreness will be down enough on Thursday to enjoy turkey and mash potatoes.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
    The day after my dentures were first installed I was eating fried chicken and mashed potatoes. No brag, just fact. 

You'll probably be able to do the same or better - lotsa new techniques since I got mine..   B)
  • dirtdudedirtdude Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck Tony, enjoy the cigars
    A little dirt never hurt
  • Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck today Tony
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2016
    Crown, too many root canals that had to be fixed, pain and really accented k-nines, Been about 8 years since I had them all pulled and dentures made. I was lucky from what I have been told, they fit the first time around and there was no fine tuning.

Denture glue. First day shopping and I met a young woman who has had dentures all her life. Fixodent was what she recommended and I use it to this day. Always buy 2 tubes and when the first is empty buy another one. I have over the years tried everything out there but I keep Fixodent to use.

Food. Raw carrots and apples will be a problem unless they are cut thin. You will learn that using both sides to chew will alleviate a lot of problems, especially with nuts and the like.

All foods. Any food can cause problems because sooner or later really small bits will work their way under the edge of the dentures and can cause pain. After some time you will learn "techniques" to avoid most of this.

Cleaning. After a lot of trial and error I have settled on Polident For Smokers and Polident Overnight. They work well and no hassles.

Cost. Check out places like Fred's for their store brands of the same stuff. They are a bit cheaper and work as well.

Finally. I don't where mine all the time, and my gums can handle most foods with out any discomfort. Of course this is just my opinion and someone else may have a better (I hope) idea. I wish they made a small tube of the glue because there ain't no warning when they decide to come lose. I usually get about 20-24 hours.

edited November 2016
    A couple variations on JD's notes - 

I can't abide the notion of denture glue although I know some folks need it. I tried it a couple times but found that, over time, it oozes out from where it's supposed to be and guess where it ends up?  Exactly.   Right in your intestinal tract. 

Now, I don't know about you, but I have enough trouble keeping things moving smoothly in that region - I don't need to be gumming things up artificially, thankya very much. 

Apples and such are much easier to deal with if you don't try biting a chunk out of one. There are many reasons for a good pocketknife and apples are high on the list. You'll develop your own surgical technique over time. 

I agree with Polident soaks. I take things a bit further, though. I have an ultrasonic cleaner that I use periodically after brushing with denture toothpaste. The ultrasonic cleaner is admittedly a bit of a luxury but they're not really all that expensive (I got mine on eBay) and they can also be used to clean your jewelry and other small items. 

I just drop a polident tablet into the ultrasonic cleaner and kill two birds with one stone...    :#
    Post edited by jlmarta on
    Thanks for all the encouragement.
    This was a tough thing to do.

Teeth are gone, the dentures are in and my mouth hurts like hell. Pain pills are helping and the youngest boy is chauffeuring momma and I back home. I go in tomorrow to have them adjust them.
    This will definitely take some getting used to.

My teeth were awful.
    Military dentists and other crappy dentists messed them up. When I finally find a good dentist at Indian Health, its too late to repair them. So my nephew's wife works at a denture company and since Indian Health doesn't cover dentures and crowns, the $850 for the set of dentures was worth it.

Everyone I've talked to says they don't regret getting dentures.
    In Fumo Pax

Wylaff said:
  • silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,043 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bet you're glad that's over! I sympathize with you about having your teeth ruined by sub-par dentists. Hope the dentures work out for you once you get used to them; I see some in my future.
    Ha. Talk about sub-par dentists...  One of my brothers needed some dental work done while he was in the Navy. His 'dentist' stuck a needle right through his cheek in order to deaden the rear portion of his mouth for an extraction. 

How's that for 'sub-par'?....