Home General Discussion

my friends Opus X issues

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭

So my buddy and I go to our local B&M to hang out and use their lounge. The employees there are awesome and the treat ups pretty darn well. But the last 4 visits my buddy has had an issue... he has been getting an Opus X every time and the last 4 have had burn issues, clogging, major bitter flavor profiles and overall performance crap-outs. Anyone else have this issue? does he just happen to be getting the bum sticks out of the box?

this last sunday when we went.... the My Father Connecticut that I got... out performed that Opus in every manner. He smokes at a fairly even rate, not to fast and not too slow, he toasts them slowly and evenly, turns the stick as he smokes, never sets it down... just seems really weird. any one else have issues with their Upus recently?

Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,686 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they newer acquired boxes at the shop?  The demand for Opus has forced their hand to get more boxes out quicker so they dont have that initial age on them.  I find that they need to sit for at least a year to be "right" and then 2-3 years minimum to really hit that sweet spot.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭

That's a really good point there... I assume with the holidays the last few times we were there could have put their inventory out the door quicker than usual. They did have a hefty run on the Opus lines and their Hemmingways. not sure how long they retain stock in their storage room.

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because it is at a B&M does not mean they are real. Jog around the web and you will see stories of Opus pocus. Rebanding etc. More common than what many think. Is this B&M and authorized Opus dealer? If not then I would say my first thought may be correct. If they are then they could always go back through the supplier about issues. Cigars are not perfect but Opus's are pretty much spot on for me. 

I would say bring one home and allow it to sit in a humi for a few weeks. If it smokes fine then your B&M may have storage issues. 

If it happened in 1997 it is still happening today and they are probably way better at it.

https://www.thefreelibrary.com/Counterfeit+Fuente+OpusX+Cigars+Flooding+U.S.+Market-a019825431
    Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

They have the largest carrier of AF in the state. Last time they had a rep out there and held an event... we were told that since they hold so many different AF blends/cigars on the shelf that they qualify for some AF exclusives. Ive been going to this B&M for the last 5 years and they pride themselves in that factoid. lol
  • Sketch6995Sketch6995 Posts: 4,495 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2017
    I had 1 Opus perfexion x that had a semi tight draw, but it wasn't impossible, I finished it.
    And I've had a couple burn a little crooked, but they've never ran down the side.

Ok I just got off the phone with Luke, the owner of my local B&M.
    He says Rodney is roght, counterfeit Opus have become a huge issue.
    He said make sure you see this before you buy Opus.
    If they don't fly that, buyer beware.
    Post edited by Sketch6995 on
    The higher.......the fewer.  ( Alexander Rozhenko)

What you can't forgive......you will become.
  • danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lo siento, Carnal. I don't know what you're talking about
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • bandyt09bandyt09 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are they newer acquired boxes at the shop?  The demand for Opus has forced their hand to get more boxes out quicker so they dont have that initial age on them.  I find that they need to sit for at least a year to be "right" and then 2-3 years minimum to really hit that sweet spot.
    This. Sounds like new stock isn't there long enough to acclimate.
    I had 1 Opus perfexion x that had a semi tight draw, but it wasn't impossible, I finished it.
    And I've had a couple burn a little crooked, but they've never ran down the side.

Ok I just got off the phone with Luke, the owner of my local B&M.
    He says Rodney is roght, counterfeit Opus have become a huge issue.
    He said make sure you see this before you buy Opus.
    If they don't fly that, buyer beware.
    I'll check for that next time I'm there :) not a huge deal for me (cause I don't have the funds to buy such fancy tobaccy lol) but that's good to know
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've smoked a few Opus X and they have great flavor and complexity but every single one had burn issues and draw issues. They were from different places and different humidity. Never really got on the wagon. 
    So... are there any major identifying features that can help pick out fakes? I know with Cohiba the bands are/can be crap.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm no expert on fake labels, but I've heard you need to watch out for dog hair in the blend. 
    again

jgibv said:
    what's an opus?  never tried one before.

i'm more of a glass top cohiba kinda guy......

I do love myself a glass top cohiba.... you got any you can send to me?

Interesting little article... good to know! He gave me his band for my little collection and from the looks of it, it looks legit.
    jgibv said:

Ask krampus for that double corona I sent him, you might have to bribe him lol

I've never seen a counterfeit cigar before, I'm still a noob, but I'm sure sooner or later I will.
    Now I'm gonna be on the lookout.

• jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It used to be that cubancigarwebsite.com was a complete source of info regarding Cuban cigars and how to spot fakes. 

Evidently the website has suffered a major loss of data and isn't currently functional. The site owner says he plans to rebuild the site but doesn't know when it'll be available again. 
    @jlmarta

Yeah........ I'm going to go back up my data now.

jgibv said:

Opus X are from Puerto Plata not Cuba, moron. 
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And glass top cohibas are from Mexico...  :p
  • jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok serious question (and for real I'm not just being a **** for once)....could the problem be your friend and not the cigar.  You described him as a seasoned smoker, that knows what he's doing.  But man, if
    its multiple opus's, especially from different boxes/different vitolas that's really strange.

and if your my father cigar was
    fine that kinda puts a damper on the "bnm has bad storage conditions theory".

does your friend ever smoke other brands at this shop?  If so, have him try one....if that one gets screwy too I'm inclined to think its some type of human error.

idk.
    weird AF 

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *

• miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jgibv said:
    Ok serious question (and for real I'm not just being a **** for once)....could the problem be your friend and not the cigar.  You described him as a seasoned smoker, that knows what he's doing.  But man, if
    its multiple opus's, especially from different boxes/different vitolas that's really strange.

and if your my father cigar was
    fine that kinda puts a damper on the "bnm has bad storage conditions theory".

does your friend ever smoke other brands at this shop?  If so, have him try one....if that one gets screwy too I'm inclined to think its some type of human error.

idk.
    weird AF 

The storage issue at the B&M could still apply. The place we were at for the Chicago Herf had the so called plume "cough cough" on certain cigars stored in a separate location. It wasn't plume when u looked closely. Not sure what this setup is but it could apply. Many shops have Opus's under lock and key nowadays in a separate location from the more common cigars. 

I would still take one home and put it away for a few weeks and see what happens.

Many of theory's are all good though and in the end it could be the smoker. When smoking a seegar, low and slow does a seegar good. 

All that I have smoked have burned razor sharp and that is with new and old opies. I rarely smoke anything fresh or ROTT anymore.

Hell send me one and I'll put it in the treasure chest for a month and see what happens. 

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've never seen a counterfeit cigar before, I'm still a noob, but I'm sure sooner or later I will.
    Now I'm gonna be on the lookout.
    Caribbean cruise, that should find you one.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Just got back from vacation with the Family. I generally bring my "Top Shelf" cigars on vacation with me as I usually have the time to relax and enjoy. I smoked an Opus X 2014 Shark (w/ over a year in my humi on it) and an Opus X Angel's Share Robusto (w/ about a year in my Humi on it). Both split right under the cap. I was able to salvage both (The Angel's Share was worse than the Shark) but, boy was I pissed. No problems with any of the other cigars I smoked on vacation.
    this thread reminds me of a thread in NCR that really needs to be bumped 
  • PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob wins best post of the day for sure!
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bob wins best post of the day for sure!

• jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell send me one and I'll put it in the treasure chest for a month and see what happens.
    this guy doesn't know what he's talking about.....

send your opus to me.....i'll let em rest until spring and then see how they smoke.

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *