Home General Discussion

(almost) all inclusive guide to cigar etiquette, kuzi style

kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
In reality, this is by no means an "end all" guide when it comes to cigar etiquette. This is how (and why) I (attempt to) act in different situations within the cigar world. As i have said many times before, I am just a guy that likes cigars a little too much. Should more points come to mind, I will edit accordingly on the first post. No need for a lengthy introduction. Down to business.

Pertaining to the cigar itself:

-Use a proper cutter to cut your cigar. Biting off the end, cutting with a dull knife, or using fingernails to cut leaves to much chance of disrespecting the manufacturer by flubbing a cut and ruining the cigar.
-Take your time to light a cigar correctly by toasting the foot before bringing to your lips and puffing. This again goes back to the respecting the manufacturer.
-Do not smoke while working. Cigars are a means of relaxation.
-Do not crush your cigar out in an ashtray. Let the cigar die in peace at its own pace. This will help eliminate sour odors in the ashtray.
-Dispose of your finished cigar quickly and discretely. Many cigar nubs in an ashtray does not reflect well the tray's owner.
-Do not litter. Cellophane and cigar clippings have their place in the trash, not as eyesores for the population at large. Ash from your cigar does not belong on the floor. It belongs in the ashtray.
-Remember that cost is not the only measure of quality in cigars. Do not disrespect cigars as being poor quality because they are inexpensive.
-Be mindful that reviews are subjective. Do not purchase cigars based only on one review. Make up your own mind and be your own smoker.
-Cigars are many people's livelihoods. Do not disrespect a cigar you do not enjoy. Just state that they are not your taste and move on. Many peoples lives are built on the cigar that you do not like. Have respect for that.

When Smoking with a group:

-Do not judge, or look down on what cigars other people choose to smoke. What you think is a poor smoke may be the next guys holy grail.
-Do not give unsolicited smoking advice to others.
-If you are smoking in a cigar shop, purchase a cigar from the shop. This is a way of showing respect to the owner and thanking them for letting you smoke there.
-If you are smoking from a host's open humidor (free of charge) take only one cigar unless specifically directed by the host to take more.
-Remove the band of the cigar you are smoking. This eliminates the illusion that you may be trying to look elitist by smoking high end sticks in front of others.
-Should others leave bands on, do not mention it. This is, in reality, a very minor point.
-Respect the people that were in the room/shop/smoking area before you got there. “Your spot” is not reserved. Don't ask others to move. First come, first serve.
-Social status in a smoking lounge means nothing. How you handle yourself means everything. Garbage collectors and CEOs are all men in cigar shop, that is if you act like it.
-Do not lick the cap of your cigar before the cut if you are using the communal cutter. In fact, it is in good taste to leave the cellophane on (if it has cellophane) while making your cut with a communal cutter.
-If you lick the cap before you cut cigars with your cutter, do not lend out your cutter to others.
-Do not act flashy in how you light your cigar.
-Do not ask others to light your cigar for you. It is your cigar. The entire experience is yours.
-Do not ask to “try a puff” off of another smoker's cigar. That cigar is his/hers. Your cigar is yours. Each is a personal experience. Keep it that way.
-Do not pull out a toothpick or cigar holder to “finish” your nub. This indicates desperate behavior.
-Do not relight your cigar if you have already smoked past where the band was. This also indicates desperate behavior.
-Do not change the subject of conversation should you arrive in the middle of said conversation. Add to it if appropriate, but let it run its course.
-In similar fashion, do not force your conversation on others that do not want to be a part of it. Not everyone wants to know about how drunk you were last night and what woman of loose reputation you spent the evening with.
-Should conversation that makes you uncomfortable come up, either do not participate or quietly excuse yourself. Do not cause a scene.
-Should your cellphone ring, Take the conversation away from the group. Do not interrupt the group with your side affairs.
-If a new smoker breaks a cigar etiquette rule, do not scold, but rather inform in a respectful way. There is a good chance that a new smoker has not been exposed to the culture.
-When leaving the group make sure to thank the host for use of time and space to smoke and thank others around you for the camaraderie and conversation.

When smoking around non-cigar smokers:

-Do not act foolish by making a big deal that you are smoking a cigar. Most others will not care, or worse yet, you or they may be made to feel uncomfortable or unwelcome.
-Remember that the area that you may want to smoke in may be later occupied by non-smokers. If you feel that these people will be offended by lingering cigar odor, find another place to smoke.
-Cigar smoke can be offensive to others. If you walk into an area and notice others that are uncomfortable with the smoke, move along. If you are first in an area and they move to your space, respectfully stand your ground.
-Unless expressed by law, the outdoors is the most acceptable place to smoke.
-If going to non-smoking social events after your smoke, try to change your clothes before the event. Cigar smoke sticks to clothes and non-smokers will shy away from your lingering odor.
-If at all possible, do not leave your finished cigar in places that cause others to clean up after you.
-Do not talk about your cigar as if everyone around you cares about it. Only speak of it if you are asked about it. Should they do so, do not dominate the room with the conversation. Most non-smokers want to talk of other matters.

In relation to giving/receiving cigars:

-When making a trade, attempt to stay in the spirit of a fair trade. Equivalent cost and quality should be taken into account. Do not short your end of the trade and do not “way over do it” by giving too much. Either end may be misconstrued as disrespectful.
-When on the receiving end of a cigar “bomb” be gracious. Even if one or more of the cigars is a brand or brands you are not a fan of, they were sent to you out of respect and your enjoyment in mind. Thank them for the gesture and accept them.
-When sending out a bomb or gift, be mindful of the receiver's preferred flavor profile. Do not send out cigars you know they will not like.
-When participating in a box pass or forum game, be timely in your turn. Do not hold up the game or pass. If you have concerns that you cannot be timely, then do not participate.
-If you are on the short end of a trade gone bad, try your best to resolve in private. If this does not work, be respectful and truthful when bringing it out to the public.
-Trade in the spirit of “buyer beware”.
-If you do not get along with someone, do not attempt to thwart their trades, passes, or transaction. Just do not trade with them yourself.
-If someone you do not like to trade with signs up for a pass or game you set up or are a part of do not attempt to exclude them. Your personal feelings have no bearing on if they are a good trader or not.
-If, for personal reasons, you refuse to trade with an individual, do not advertise this fact. Quietly avoid situations where you would have to trade with them.
-Do not ask to be bombed. Bombs are a sign of respect. you will get one if you have acted accordingly and others feel you deserve one.

In relation to dealing with purchasing cigars:

-When in a cigar shop, do not talk about how you can find better deals in other cigar shops. The shop you are in is someones business. Driving business away from them is in poor taste.
-When on a forum hosted by a retailer (such as the cigar.com forum) do not post links to competitors. This is the same as driving business away from a Brick and Mortar shop.
-Do not ask for freebies. Should they be offered, be thankful, but do not expect them. These business owners have a business to run and they run the business to support themselves and their families.
-Remember that you are not the only one in the cigar shop. There may be others who need help from the sales person. Do not dominate their time. Also, spend as little time at the register as you are able. Others may be waiting in line.
-When purchasing cigars, make sure to thank your tobacconist for any help in making your purchase.
-Do not handle cigars you do not intend to purchase
-Do not let your nose touch a cigar if you do not intend on purchasing it.
-Should you accidentally drop or damage a cigar in a shop humidor, do not place it back in the box. Hand it to the tobacconist of the shop and explain what happened. Let them decide if it is worthy to be sold. If you damaged the cigar to the point where it cannot be sold, be prepared to buy it and do not complain if asked to do so.
-Should you find a cigar that is already damaged or has signs of beetles or mold, quietly bring this to the attention of the tobacconist. Do not cause a scene.

In relation to posting on internet cigar forums:

-Remember that all forums have hosts. They make the rules. When you sign up, you agree to follow those rules. Do not complain about them.
-The internet is full of people that do not share the views that you do. Be respectful of other points of view even if you do not agree.
-The internet is a place where many new people are looking to learn about a topic. Help others learn and share your love of cigars at every opportunity.
-Make new people feel welcome. Every one of us was new at some point. We all needed help. Help others they way you were helped.
-Approach forums in a “perpetual newbie” manor. There are many theories about cigars out there. There are many opinions out there. Do not act like you know everything about cigars. You do not. Nobody does. Learn what you can when you can.
-Ask questions often. Do not be shy.
-Answer questions often. Do not be shy.
-Respect other cigar opinions while stating your own. The topic can be interesting and fruitful if kept respectful.
-Be honest.
-Do not plagiarize posts or reviews. Many people put large amounts of time into these posts and reviews. Give credit where credit is due.

Remember that the cigar community is a community built on Tradition and respect for Gentlemen (and ladies) who want to enjoy an artful interpretation of tobaccos with other like minded enthusiasts. Use common sense and discretion should any issues come up. Most importantly, try to relax and enjoy.

Comments

• YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always, well said!

That's why I hang around here, although I've been kind of AWOL lately. I've learned so much here since I've joined. It's the vets that keep posting that keep this forum alive and giving us the benefit of their experience.

I know there is no one perfect way to do things, but having info like Kuzi's post is always beneficial and can keep one from making an a$$ out of himself at a herf or lounge.

Thanks again Kuzi!
  • Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks, helpful as always! There were a few I had not thought of before. (didn't know you could cut while cello's were still on).

Do you believe there is a nice way to get a salesperson to leave you alone in a store? I just had an experience where this kid would not shut up! He was definitely pushy on what HE liked too. Now maybe "the ball was in his court" so to speak, and all I could do was politely listen, make my purchases anyway, and leave. It didn't bother me a whole lot, but I would think twice before coming back.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Great info Kuzi. We may need to keep this bumped along with the others we keep to the top.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    Gray4lines:
    Thanks, helpful as always! There were a few I had not thought of before. (didn't know you could cut while cello's were still on).

Do you believe there is a nice way to get a salesperson to leave you alone in a store? I just had an experience where this kid would not shut up! He was definitely pushy on what HE liked too. Now maybe "the ball was in his court" so to speak, and all I could do was politely listen, make my purchases anyway, and leave. It didn't bother me a whole lot, but I would think twice before coming back.
    if he wont get subtle hints that you want to be left alone then i feel you made the right decision. he needs to work on his salesmanship but that isnt your place to make him work on it. that is his boss's job. if you must say something discretely bring it to the owners attention in a respectful way. if that doesnt work...well, you are SOL.
  • jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff.
    Thanks! I figured. I just am not used to that... The shop I frequent at home, it's almost the opposite. The guy I always run into is almost reluctant to talk. This shop I visited on the other hand... He was way too into it or something. Asking everyone what tasting notes they like, telling us his "top 3" cigars... all unsolicited.

He even said to another customer, "If me just talking about this cigar doesn't get you excited about it, then I don't know what you want. You'll have to give me tasting notes or something that you're looking for." LOL!
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Funny...when I work the shop, 9 out of 10 times the customer says just looking and they don't want help. 9 out of 10 customers then ask for help when I continue. It's all about the approach. I just remerched my b&m and the owner noticed a sales bump when I worked before, after this weekend we will see if the merch changes helped. I feel ya on ahole salespeople, it's not just cigars.
  • Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Gray4lines:

if he wont get subtle hints that you want to be left alone then i feel you made the right decision. he needs to work on his salesmanship but that isnt your place to make him work on it. that is his boss's job. if you must say something discretely bring it to the owners attention in a respectful way. if that doesnt work...well, you are SOL.
    This is true but there is a B&M I refuse to go to since the owner owns his own cigar factory. He tells his employees to push his products!! I tried one they say matched a padron...it did not at all!! Needless to say I will not go back
    Money can't buy taste
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    This is gold. Thanks Kuz!
    Can you blame him? Lol! I'd push my own stuff too! Maybe... that's some good verticle integration.
  • The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Great Info Kuzi,,,, Thanks,, I learned a couple of those things the hard way. and actually just learned one or two more.. I do have a couple questions, You mentioned dont ask for freebies,,I usually ask if they have any runnin deals,,i.e. buy 3 get one free and the like I'm not looking like a miser am I?? Also why when using a communal cutter (i dont) but why leave the cello on? and another one IF Im in the company of friends my toothpick is comin out and Im gonna smoke her till she screams,,,,lol ( edit) I assume the last one about the toothpick is if im in a lounge vs a backyard bbq
    The Kid:
    Great Info Kuzi,,,, Thanks,, I learned a couple of those things the hard way. and actually just learned one or two more.. I do have a couple questions, You mentioned dont ask for freebies,,I usually ask if they have any runnin deals,,i.e. buy 3 get one free and the like I'm not looking like a miser am I?? Also why when using a communal cutter (i dont) but why leave the cello on? and another one IF Im in the company of friends my toothpick is comin out and Im gonna smoke her till she screams,,,,lol ( edit) I assume the last one about the toothpick is if im in a lounge vs a backyard bbq
    great. Questions.
    asking about deals is different than asking for free ***.
    leaving the cello on shows that you respect that others use it and ir makes it clear you did not lick the cap.
    when with close friends rules tend to change. Use judgement a judgement call and know your audiance. You know your friends limits and what is acceptable there. when with people you don't know as well err on the side of caution.
  • pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    quick question, is there an etiquette issue with toasting parts of your wrapper that arent burning right? ive had humidification and burn issues recently and its been causing me to toast my wrapper 4-5 times per smoke.
    pnaylon:
    quick question, is there an etiquette issue with toasting parts of your wrapper that arent burning right? ive had humidification and burn issues recently and its been causing me to toast my wrapper 4-5 times per smoke.
    you may need to explain a bit more. I'm not quite sure what you mean.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Nice post, Kuzi. I especially like the part that mentions buying your cigars from the B&M (as opposed to showing up with your own- a HUGE pet peeve of mine!). I must disagree about the fingernail cutter, though. I still love to do this :D
  • KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
    Good stuff as always from Kuzi........

To me, one of the most important things to do, in cigar lounges, in social situations, and in life in general is to........

"read the room"................and then behave appropriately

• jthanatosjthanatos Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭
    KingoftheCove:
    Good stuff as always from Kuzi........

To me, one of the most important things to do, in cigar lounges, in social situations, and in life in general is to........

"read the room"................and then behave appropriately

This, I think, is the best advice. I have smoked with guys that if you don't nub every cigar, they wonder why you waste your money on it, where as others will put it down right after the band. Some groups would find it rude not to offer a puff to a guy who expresses interest in knowing more about your stick, others would have their stomachs turn at the thought. I think the best bet is to not do anything to make others feel uncomfortable. Also, if my last inch and a half goes out on a stick I am enjoying cause I am too busy BSing.... I am relighting. You can judge me as desperate all you want, I am enjoying my smoke :P.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    pnaylon:
    If you are talking about lighting a side of your cigar that is not burning right or trying to even out the burn with a lighter I don't think that is Taboo at all. Hopefully most people know that cigars are hand made, they are made by people with flaws and they themselves have flaws. Making the burn even to help your smoke out is called a "Touch-up" and is not a no-no, you just want the most out of your smoke. If everyone is in the room is a gentleman like Kuzi suggests, then no one will judge you or look down at you, touch-up as much as you'd like! As time goes on, though, you can learn how to handle these burn problems by rotating your cigar while it's idle in the ashtray, purging a bit or just smoking a tad faster, but that will come with time as you learn how to handle them.

Also, some B&Ms tend to have their humidity a tad high for they know that 90% of their sales are to be taken home for a later date, and if not everyone has a humi at home before the big fishing trip, it's nice to have a little extra humidity in the cigar so that it won't dry out before the "Guys weekend" so that could be a cause of burn issues, and it's not taboo to touch it up.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    You should post this in 101. This is the kind of stuff I read as I lurked before I figured out how to setup and account. My two cents...it's important.
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    Great stuff as always. Too bad the people that NEED to read it, won't.

Reminds me of when I was home on vacation, I was at a casino smoking a MOW PA. Some really loud drunk asked me what I was smoking, so I told him. His reply was "Must be some no name house brand since I've never heard of it"...as he was smoking his Macanudo.
    kuzi16:
    The Kid:
    great. Questions.
    asking about deals is different than asking for free ***.
    leaving the cello on shows that you respect that others use it and ir makes it clear you did not lick the cap.
    when with close friends rules tend to change. Use judgement a judgement call and know your audiance. You know your friends limits and what is acceptable there. when with people you don't know as well err on the side of caution.
    another thought about the toothpick is this: if you are in a steak house eating the best NY Strip of your life, when you are done with the steak to you pick up the plate and lick the surface? thats what using a toothpick looks like. im just sayin. im not judging. i cant tell you what to do.
    Steve2010:
    so true.

Steve2010:
    Reminds me of when I was home on vacation, I was at a casino smoking a MOW PA. Some really loud drunk asked me what I was smoking, so I told him. His reply was "Must be some no name house brand since I've never heard of it"...as he was smoking his Macanudo.
    i woulda just started laughing at him as i slowly started walking away trailing off with the words "you poor uninformed ***..."
  • Steve2010Steve2010 Posts: 1,036
    kuzi16:
    Steve2010:
    so true.

Steve2010:
    i woulda just started laughing at him as i slowly started walking away trailing off with the words "you poor uninformed ***..."
    It's all good. He was betting the DON'T COME, basically against everyone else at the Craps table. Lost his ass when the dice got hot.

Him and his cronies skulked away as everyone else was whooping and hollering.
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    Kuzi, I think this would be a great link to the the newbs please read thread also!!!!
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
    MVW67:
    Kuzi, I think this would be a great link to the the newbs please read thread also!!!!
    by all means add it.
  • MVW67MVW67 Posts: 5,591 ✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    MVW67:
    by all means add it.
    Added!! Thanks
    Life is too short, live it like no tomorrow...
    Lasabar:
    pnaylon:
    If you are talking about lighting a side of your cigar that is not burning right or trying to even out the burn with a lighter I don't think that is Taboo at all. Hopefully most people know that cigars are hand made, they are made by people with flaws and they themselves have flaws. Making the burn even to help your smoke out is called a "Touch-up" and is not a no-no, you just want the most out of your smoke. If everyone is in the room is a gentleman like Kuzi suggests, then no one will judge you or look down at you, touch-up as much as you'd like! As time goes on, though, you can learn how to handle these burn problems by rotating your cigar while it's idle in the ashtray, purging a bit or just smoking a tad faster, but that will come with time as you learn how to handle them.

Also, some B&Ms tend to have their humidity a tad high for they know that 90% of their sales are to be taken home for a later date, and if not everyone has a humi at home before the big fishing trip, it's nice to have a little extra humidity in the cigar so that it won't dry out before the "Guys weekend" so that could be a cause of burn issues, and it's not taboo to touch it up.

Sweet, that's what I was after! I didn't know B&Ms kept the humidity so high, but looking back, it's like a cool sauna at mine.
    Lasabar:
    pnaylon:

Sweet, that's what I was after! I didn't know B&Ms kept the humidity so high, but looking back, it's like a cool sauna at mine.
    I had another thought...

When I go to smoke at my b&m, I always buy a couple cigars just to say thanks (and I like to buy cigars anyway). But my question is as follows: Is it in poor taste to bring your own cigar to smoke and not smoke the one you just bought?

I like to keep mine at a lower RH, so I prefer to smoke one that I know has rested in MY humidor at the RH I like. I have occasionally smoked cigars I have just purchased too.

as a twist on the question, what if the shop does not sell the particular smoke you bring in to enjoy. Does that matter?
  • Gray4lines:
    I had another thought...

When I go to smoke at my b&m, I always buy a couple cigars just to say thanks (and I like to buy cigars anyway). But my question is as follows: Is it in poor taste to bring your own cigar to smoke and not smoke the one you just bought?

I like to keep mine at a lower RH, so I prefer to smoke one that I know has rested in MY humidor at the RH I like. I have occasionally smoked cigars I have just purchased too.

as a twist on the question, what if the shop does not sell the particular smoke you bring in to enjoy. Does that matter?
    Good point. I buy cigars at the B&M regularly, sometimes many at a time, so I feel awkward if I come in and smoke without buying one, even though I bought at the shop. I feel like the transaction at the register is kind of like stating your presence. I know all the guys and owners up there, I just feel weird if I sit down and start to smoke without purchasing on the spot. Also unfortunate because they don't always have what I'm looking for.

Also, can we have an admin pin this at the top of Cigar 101? I haven't seen any stickies in this forum yet