Home Cigar 101
Options

Could someone 'splain this to me?

jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
Okay, guys, here's a question that's been gnawing at me for a while. I know some of you can straighten me out on it.

You've probably read the pitch they're putting across regarding Nub cigars. Part of it goes like this: " After working countless hours in cigar factories and testing every cigar under the sun, its creator (Sam Leccia) found that most blends require some burn time prior to offering the true flavors and aromas of the tobaccos at play." and it goes on to say that a cigar usually reaches its 'sweet spot' after about a third of it has been smoked and that's the reason for the short length and large ring gauge of a Nub. Supposedly, you reach the 'sweet spot' immediately with a Nub instead of having to use up that first third.

Now, I don't claim to be a genius but could someone 'splain to me how the tobacco knows how long the cigar is that it's in? I mean, it seems to me that if two cigars are rolled using the exact same blend and ring gauge and then one of them is cut to the length of a Nub (4 inches, I think) and the other is cut to the length of, say, a toro, are you going to tell me that immediately upon lighting each of them, the Nub is already going to be in its 'sweet spot' but the toro isn't?? I mean, give me a break!

I've only been smoking cigars for about a year and a half so I'm still in the 'searching' phase trying to find out which ones I like best. I haven't yet bought a Nub because I can't quite swallow the logic that's forthcoming in their advertising. I might be missing out on a good smoke.

Any info you guys can share that's based on fact rather than opinion would be appreciated. Thanks muchly.

Marty

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    ill post the reason in a sec...

i need to draw a picture or two...

• Options
    FairwindFairwind Posts: 41

Nothing to explain, you have a firm grasp on advertising. I have smoked nubs and they're no different except a bigger ring and shorter length. Nothing special about them.

Dan

• Options
    ok... im only going to post one picture with a few sketches on it because i dont feel like messing with editing it.

lazy. my bad.

most of this i gathered by reading a ton of info. i have a hard time finding a site that has all this info in one place so i cant really give you a good link. a tiny bit of it is "theory" so correct me if and link me if i am wrong or have made mistakes.

sketch "A" is a picture of a standard tobacco leaf. there is a stem in the center and veins coming off of that stem that supply nutrients to thew rest of the leaf. the farther up on the leaf you fo and the farther away from the stem and the stalk (not shown) the lower the nutrient concentration

sketch "B" is the wrapper leaf after it has been cut to become a wrapper. the stem has been cut out along with the thickest part of the larger veins and the edges cut down a bit to make a more uniform wrapper.

Sketch "C" is the addition of the wrapper leaf to the cigar. the binder is already holding the filler together at this stage. as you can see the leaf is being rolled at an angle. if you have ever looked how the seems in a cigar twist around it like a barber pole this is where it comes from.

Sketch "D" shows you how the NUB is cut. (sort of, keep in mind this i a very quick sketch. the actual cut is way more curved and leaves more on one end to make a cap out of) there is more taken off from the edge of the leaf and a bit taken off the tips. these are the areas that do not have as many nutrients reaching them from the stem. this also results in a narrower band of tobacco that can be used as a wrapper so shorter cigars are required. the large ring can remain because the length of the leaf is not that much shorter.

a similar process takes place with the filler leaf. in a "full length" cigar the filler leaf is folded back on itself until it is about the right length. this has a tendency to make the end have less of the rich part of the leaf. with a nub, only the nutrient rich center part of the leaf is used (sweet spot)

another thought with this cigar is that the thick ash form the incredible density of the filler tobacco shields and filters the air more so than "normal" ash, producing a cooler burn.
    jlmarta:
    it seems to me that if two cigars are rolled using the exact same blend and ring gauge and then one of them is cut to the length of a Nub (4 inches, I think) and the other is cut to the length of, say, a toro, are you going to tell me that immediately upon lighting each of them, the Nub is already going to be in its 'sweet spot' but the toro isn't??
    this is a fundamental misunderstanding of how a cigar is rolled. cigars arent rolled to a ring then cut to a length. every cigar, even a NUB, is designed to be exactly as long as it is.

*** it, just watch it yourself...

if you were to make a barber pole style cigar you would just use two different wrappers at sketch "B" and offset them a bit so at sketch "C" they would both be visible.

• Options
    Fairwind:

Nothing to explain, you have a firm grasp on advertising. I have smoked nubs and they're no different except a bigger ring and shorter length. Nothing special about them.

Dan

way to be a cynic.
  • Options
    gmill880gmill880 Posts: 5,947
    Yeah it has only to do with the part of the leaf used ...thus the 'sweet spot'...
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, okay. If you say so, Kuzi. But I'm gonna have to cogitate on it a spell.

I still haven't figured out how to use the 'quote' button to show only a part of the message I'm replying to so you'll have to guess at it, I guess. I don't know what it is with the webmaster on this forum - - everything's got to be so damned complicated. I shouldn't have to learn the html codes and all that BS in order to use this thing.

Oh, well, nobody ever said life had to be easy, I guess.

Marty
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    jlmarta:
    I might be missing out on a good smoke.
    A fact: you may never know what you're missing until you try one (or four) for yourself. Regardless of their logic, you may like it!
  • Options
    bbc020bbc020 Posts: 1,422
    Thanks to Kuzi for your insight and knowledge on this topic....I learned a bit.
  • Options
    Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    The nubs I've had, just the connecticut, were nothing special for the first half inch and then for about an inch afterward they were great. I assume that was the sweet spot they were talking about. It didn't last as long as a churchill. More like 40-50 minutes. This was the 460 size I think.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmm... That makes allot of sense Kuzi. So now what I'm going to do is cut all my cigars by 1/3 and then use Pectin to glue them all together... and I will make "Mega-Gar"
  • Options
    kuzi16:
    Fairwind:

Dan

way to be a cynic.

LOL - not being a cynic, just that after smoking 5 of them, they're a good cigar but nothing world beating.

I just happen to like the toro length. I believe it has the right ring size to length for a cigar.

Good tobacco will make any cigar taste great regardless of the length.

I'll take a 6x60 from Rocky Patel over a nub any day of the week if I want a big fat cigar.

Just my taste and opinion of over 30 years of enjoying cigars daily.

Dan
  • Options
    Fairwind:
    kuzi16:
    Fairwind:

Dan

way to be a cynic.
    LOL - not being a cynic, just that after smoking 5 of them, they're a good cigar but nothing world beating. I just happen to like the toro length. I believe it has the right ring size to length for a cigar. Good tobacco will make any cigar taste great regardless of the length. I'll take a 6x60 from Rocky Patel over a nub any day of the week if I want a big fat cigar. Just my taste and opinion of over 30 years of enjoying cigars daily. Dan
    you make a point. the sweet spot on cheap tobacco is not as good as the beginning of great tobacco.

the toro also used to be my favorite. but i think now im moving into the lancero and the lonesdale and the corona. better wrapperto filler ratio. it gives the wrapper (the best tobacco in the cigar) a platform to shine on.
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    kuzi16:
    Fairwind:
    kuzi16:
    Fairwind:

Dan

way to be a cynic.
    LOL - not being a cynic, just that after smoking 5 of them, they're a good cigar but nothing world beating. I just happen to like the toro length. I believe it has the right ring size to length for a cigar. Good tobacco will make any cigar taste great regardless of the length. I'll take a 6x60 from Rocky Patel over a nub any day of the week if I want a big fat cigar. Just my taste and opinion of over 30 years of enjoying cigars daily. Dan
    you make a point. the sweet spot on cheap tobacco is not as good as the beginning of great tobacco.

the toro also used to be my favorite. but i think now im moving into the lancero and the lonesdale and the corona. better wrapperto filler ratio. it gives the wrapper (the best tobacco in the cigar) a platform to shine on.
    I have noticed the same thing, my tastes are moving towards smaller ring cigars. I like a smoke like the Serie V in the big 6x60, because it does have good flavor and burns for a long time, but in the lancero you get to taste more of the wrapper and the flavor is a lot better. I guess it really depends on my mood, but I don't smoke much over a 50 now.

Another point about the Nub, if you look at a Nub, and almost any other cigar, you will see that the Nub has the same number of wraps around the cigar. This is evidence that it was rolled as a short cigar and not rolled at 6 inches, then cut down to just the sweet spot. The concept behind the Nub is a valid theory, if you don't like the taste of the cigar it's not because of the size, but more that you just don't care for the blend.
  • Options
    FourtotheflushFourtotheflush Posts: 2,555
    Great Explanation and great debate! I really enjoy NUB's. They turned the cigar industy on its head for the last year or so. Now most other manufacturers are making shorter fatter smokes.

Ive seen a nording, Oliva and a Tatuaje in new short fat sizes.
  • Options
    jbs5869jbs5869 Posts: 9
    i smoked a nub habano the other night, i think it was one of the smaller sizes, after drinking a little bit.  it completely knocked me on my ass, i had to go outside and sit down on a bench for like 15 minutes.  may have been inhaling.  either way i remember it had a wonderful taste and i will buy another and smoke when im sober at some point
  • Options
    jbs5869jbs5869 Posts: 9
    also, that is a classic sketch kuzi, i want to print it and put it on my fridge to constantly remind me just how difficult it is to roll a cigar lol :)
  • Options
    jbs5869:
    also, that is a classic sketch kuzi, i want to print it and put it on my fridge to constantly remind me just how difficult it is to roll a cigar lol :)
    ...and the wrapper is the EASY part. bunching and binding is beyond me.
  • Options
    Fourtotheflush:
    Great Explanation and great debate! I really enjoy NUB's. They turned the cigar industy on its head for the last year or so. Now most other manufacturers are making shorter fatter smokes.

Ive seen a nording, Oliva and a Tatuaje in new short fat sizes.

The best short fatty I have had recently was a R&J Short Churchill when I was in Hong Kong. Liked them so much I bought 4 box - 3 in ea. box for my stay in PI in April. They were the first Cubans I have had that was really better than a Dominican.

Dan
  • Options
    ive got one of those in the humidor right now.