Home General Discussion

a daily habit

ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
I am still a little bit green in the world of cigars. I have been enjoying the obsession for about a year now. It has come to a point where my day is not complete without a cigar night-cap. I seem to have fairly expensive taste and am buring through my disposable income on cigars. I am just wondering if anyone has some suggestions on a good smoke at a decent price. I just can't keep sitting with a cigar at night and thinking I am, quite literally, burning $10-$15 a day. I am sure I am not alone on this, so maybe somebody has some helpful advice for me?

Comments

• Russ55Russ55 Posts: 2,765 ✭✭
    What kinds of cigars do you like? What are you smoking now?
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I like Padron, Olivia, CAO, Nub is good and kinda cheap. My two favorite cigars are the Padron 1962 and the CAO Aniversary Maduro. I started on cigars with R&J, I have had Monte's Gold label and loved it. I have had some Drew Estates and those are not bad. I like a bunch of different cigars, but it seems like the more I spend on them the better I like them and that is a bad habit for me to get in to (I'm broke).
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    " a daily HOBBY"

cigarettes are a habit.

as far as a smoke that is good while still being light on the wallet: check out the 5 vegas line, the Cusano bundles (MC, P1, M1), Drew estates La Vieja Habana, Flor de Oliva, and of course watch cigar.com for their daily deals. many of them are out of this world.
    kuzi16:
    " a daily HOBBY"

cigarettes are a habit.

as far as a smoke that is good while still being light on the wallet: check out the 5 vegas line, the Cusano bundles (MC, P1, M1), Drew estates La Vieja Habana, Flor de Oliva, and of course watch cigar.com for their daily deals. many of them are out of this world.
    You are absolutely right about the hobby not habit, my mistake. I normaly will check out the daily deal, but I dont like the idea of 5 at a time. maybe 2 or 3. I guess I will just have to take the daily deal suggestion and buy some singles. Thanks for the suggestions, I'll add them to my list!
    if you buy the five and dont like them, you can always trade them away here. someone will like them.
  • shamrockedshamrocked Posts: 285
    yea it is sort of hard not to take the daily deal - me and a friend rotate buying them when we either both want the same deal or if one wants to try it ... i must say though - i have probably spent a total of about 45 bucks for 30 cigars ... and they are all quality. not a bad deal
  • betasynnbetasynn Posts: 1,249
    To what Kuzi said, this is incredibly true; Cigar.com will never offer a straight-up bad daily deal; they'll always introduce something that sells. I've seen padilla 1932's, Camacho pre-embargos, and rocky patel vintages go up. If you happen to not like something, somebody on this forum will, and you can trade, and both contribute to the community, and get new sticks.
  • clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    Some of the cheaper cigars that I've found I like are La Vieja Habana, Gurkha's Sherpa, any of the Cigar.com house cigars (mostly recommend Corojo, Cuban, Brazilian, Purple Labels), 5 Vegas Limitada 2008, and I also have this thing for the Baccarat Sumatra (not the best burn, but great taste). I'm definately a cheapass so I usually try all the lower end things first and work my way up.
  • KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    If you like Padron's you might wanna look into Nica Libre. They use the same wrapper (I believe from the 1964) and look great. I have also seen them on DD. Also, you might want to look into buying some 2nds. Same great smoke, just a cosmetic blemish keeps it from being a first (w/ label).

"Long ashes my friends."

• PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    A good everyday budget smoke is the Onyx Reserve. About $50-$60 a box and they are a good dependable smoke. They have great flavor and I have never had a burn issue with one. Also a good everyday value would be the Ambos Mundos by Tatuaje. They run $4.50 - $6.00 a stick and are very good.
  • Nica Libre ,Cu-Avana Intenso,Padilla Achilles, and any 5 vegas would be my pick for an everyday.
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    This is funny. I was just coming on here to ask what everybody favorite stick for under 6 dollars. Maybe some of you life-ers can give your top 5? I agree with the daily deal suggestion, ccom definitly does a good job with that. But maybe we can have a fun discussion on this.
  • bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    If you're smoking every day you can DEFINITELY do it more affordably than $10-$15 a night. If you haven't done so already get yourself a decent sized humidor and fill it up with daily deals or cigars as they come on sale. Five of one kind is not so much when you have the ability to store them for long periods of time.

I have a wicked low budget and this is the technique I employ with great success. Grabbing daily deals, sampler specials and other sales has given me a humidor full of DPG, Padilla, MOW, Camacho, 5 Vegas, Sol Cubano, etc. and I don't think I've paid more than $3/each for any of them. Ordering 5 or 10 at a time is a small price to pay for such huge savings.
  • HugemooseHugemoose Posts: 458
    The best way to save some money is to stop buying singles. I almost never buy a single cigar anymore; it is just too expensive to do that.Buy variety packs or samplers of one brand. That will help bring down the costs considerably.

If I bought every cigar in my humi as a single it would be as much as my truck payment....but it's probably more like the water bill now :-D
  • ironhorseironhorse Posts: 469
    kuzi hates me :( haha, jk, sorry kuzi.
  • undulacundulac Posts: 1,129
    Check out seconds. This site has a few of them.
    ironhorse:
    kuzi hates me :(
    LIES!!!!

it would be nice to not see this question every week. but i understand.... we dont have stickies here. thats the way the cookie crumbles.
  • MarkHMarkH Posts: 120 ✭✭
    I just ordered the house blend super sampler; 21 cigars @ $47.95 = $2.28/stick. (they might even give you free shipping, ask). I'm hoping to find a favorite among them.
  • kuzi16:
    ironhorse:
    kuzi hates me :(
    LIES!!!!

it would be nice to not see this question every week. but i understand.... we dont have stickies here. thats the way the cookie crumbles.
    umm...cello on or off?
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    MarkH:
    I just ordered the house blend super sampler; 21 cigars @ $47.95 = $2.28/stick. (they might even give you free shipping, ask). I'm hoping to find a favorite among them.
    The only one of the house blends I've had is the Brazil label, and it's pretty damn good. I hear a lot of great things about the other blends as well. I think you'll be quite happy with your purchase.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    Check out the seconds, they smoke just as good as the firsts. And like alot of people here have been saying, the daily deals are hard to beat. As far as cigars that are just regularly on the cheap side but still good, try these:

Nica Libre
    Indian Tabac Super Fuerte
    La Vieja Habana (I prefer the Corojo and Cameroon from them)
    Cusano P1
    Gurkha Castle Hall
    Rocky Patel R4
    Legend Ario by Camacho

I really enjoy all the above cigars and believe they are worth more than the MSRP they list for.
  • TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
    My everyday smokes that are not just "ok" but some of my favorites run less than $6 a stick from C.com, all approximately a Robusto size. Here's a few:

Tatuaje Havana VI ($5-6)
    Ambos Mundos (c.com isn't selling these yet, but for $4-5 a stick, they are AMAZING)
    Carlos Torano Casa Torano ($5-6)
    Gran Habano III Siglos ($3-4)
    La Aroma de Cuba ($3-4)
    5 Vegas Gold ($2)
    5 Vegas Classic ($3)
    Alec Bradley Maxx ($4)

With the deals C.com offers, you can grab samplers or mixed samplers all for around $5 a stick for some fantastic cigars. I HATE spending $10-15 a stick, I always seem to say to myself, "Man, my Casa Torano was better and I could have had three for this price!"

• TheedgeTheedge Posts: 316
    Good Lord dude, yeah, watch the daily deals. I've got two humidors full of quality sticks. All around the $5.00 price point. I purchase 10 and get the free shipping too.

The last one I bought was ten of Padilla 1932 for $39.90.
  • LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Find good boxes as well...
    Someone already said the Onyx Reserve I'd add Sancho Panza Double Maduro or maybe a box of 5 Vegas Serie A...

When 20 cigars only costs $45 YOU WIN!
  • Matt MarvelMatt Marvel Posts: 930
    Theedge:
    Good Lord dude, yeah, watch the daily deals. I've got two humidors full of quality sticks. All around the $5.00 price point. I purchase 10 and get the free shipping too. The last one I bought was ten of Padilla 1932 for $39.90.
    Those deals always roll around when I'm broke. It's pretty upsetting.
  • I might get laughed of this board, but I'm also fairly new to cigars, and on a serious budget(military). 4 to 5 times a week, I'm looking for a smoke under 5$. I have a humidor on the way, so I can start buying in bulk, but right now, I usually smoke a Flora Fina 8-5-8. On post I pick them up for 4$ or so. They are by far, not the best I've had, but they are consistant and cheap. On the weekends, I visit a local shop with a walk in, and sample the better smokes. I've especially enjoyed the CAO's I've tried.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    leemarshall337:
    I might get laughed of this board, but I'm also fairly new to cigars, and on a serious budget(military). 4 to 5 times a week, I'm looking for a smoke under 5$. I have a humidor on the way, so I can start buying in bulk, but right now, I usually smoke a Flora Fina 8-5-8. On post I pick them up for 4$ or so. They are by far, not the best I've had, but they are consistant and cheap. On the weekends, I visit a local shop with a walk in, and sample the better smokes. I've especially enjoyed the CAO's I've tried.
    You've found the right place if you're on a budget. Look into the seconds that are offered here, they are cigars that did not make the grade in the sorting process, usually due to a minor cosmetic flaw. Here's the thing though, they smoke great, taste just the same and are very easy on the wallet. Also the CCOM House Blends are pretty good in my opinion and a very economical smoke.

Oh, and there will be no laughing you off the boards, we tend to be very welcoming around here to people who are new to cigar smoking or just new to the forum. In that respect too, you've come to the right place.
  • alienmisprintalienmisprint Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭
    leemarshall337:
    I might get laughed of this board, but I'm also fairly new to cigars, and on a serious budget(military). 4 to 5 times a week, I'm looking for a smoke under 5$. I have a humidor on the way, so I can start buying in bulk, but right now, I usually smoke a Flora Fina 8-5-8. On post I pick them up for 4$ or so. They are by far, not the best I've had, but they are consistant and cheap. On the weekends, I visit a local shop with a walk in, and sample the better smokes. I've especially enjoyed the CAO's I've tried.
    Check the list I put up above, those are all under $5 (mostly around the $2-$3 range) as long as you buy boxes/bundles. You should also check out El Mejor Espresso and Tatuaje P. I know exactly what you mean about the 8-5-8, getting them fromt he little cabinet humidor near the checkout at the PX/shopette, right? Give the Montesino a try, I like them better than the 8-5-8, although the Montesino is a milder cigar. Where are you stationed at?
    Thanks everyone! I just made my purchase for next month and my total is already cut in half!!