Home Ratings & Reviews

Cain F Lancero (A MUST READ)

Cain F Lancero

This is from the sampler from the 2011 Cain Tour. I can't believe this has not made regular production yet. This is my first Lancero from the Cain Line and it does not disappoint. I am sad with each puff that I can not replace this anytime soon.

Preflight

Medium to Dark brown wrapper. Smells sweet and taste sweet on the tongue draw of coffee, leather, musky sweet to tobacco well aged. Beautiful construction flawless wrapper very balanced for the size.

First third

Heavy pepper sting on the tongue and in the nose but does not cover any of the flavors. Strong Expresso with strong leather notes within the first 1/2 inch. Some roasted nuts in the nose.

Second third

Caramel, Expresso, roasted nuts, cedar, cinnamon, raisin, leather can this cigar provide anymore? It is amazing, complex, mature, it knows what it wants and it's afraid to school you about it. Head spins starting to settle in. Gotta slow down but want more.

Final Third

A sweetness and complexity unmatched. I am in love with this cigar. All of the flavors intensifies and takes over all my senses. This surpasses any cigar Cain or any other cigar I have smoke to date. This cigar just took my #1 spot period. Everything following it will be a disappointment. If they put this into production it will sell out if people believe all this hype. This punches you in the face with each puff. If you have smoked an Opus Power Ranger this tops it. If this hits production i believe cigar of the year is in order or at least in the top three. The flavors are so intense and defined that anything else would disappoint. Please put this into production Studio Tobac for the love of God do it now.

Comments

• BlueRingsBlueRings Posts: 367
    Everyone inquire with Cigar.com to have Studio tobac to put this in production. I am so excited about this cigar I want ever serious cigar aficionado to experiance it. I can only hope Olivia would want the same.
  • ndhaon91ndhaon91 Posts: 441
    This review is quite a statement, especially when juxtaposed against your recent rave review of the Illusione Epernay.  

I'll be emailing ccom and requesting they make these available.  Nice work!
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Wow, that is quite an endorsment
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Thanks for the info! Now you've made me even more determined to get that sampler! Damn I want that cigar now!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i have one of these in my humidor right now. i wasnt excited to smoke it due to the fact that none of the others in the cain line were as complex as the one you described.

i guess ill just have to give it a shot.
  • Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    Awesome review, man. Makes me wish I never read it because unless they go into production, chances of me trying one are probably pretty slim.
  • lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    What are the dimensions on this? I tried a Cain Daytona Petite Corona that was pretty awesome. I think that they're similar ring gauges.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
    7x38 size, I pounded out this review in a hurry. I have a box of the #4 Daytona which appears to have some similar profiles although it is missing the Condega, and Esteli region tobacco. Why I believe the cigar is superior to a Cain F is the difference is the length and size. The length of the cigar tempers the flavors much more, and proportionally there is more wrapper and less filler. The length helps filter any harshness and allows for a cooler smoke with equates to more flavor. That is why different shapes and sizes create different experiances. Also why the same cigar line has a cigar that rates 93 and the same cigar with the same tobacco used scored an 88.
    BlueRings:
    7x38 size, I pounded out this review in a hurry. I have a box of the #4 Daytona which appears to have some similar profiles although it is missing the Condega, and Esteli region tobacco. Why I believe the cigar is superior to a Cain F is the difference is the length and size. The length of the cigar tempers the flavors much more, and proportionally there is more wrapper and less filler. The length helps filter any harshness and allows for a cooler smoke with equates to more flavor. That is why different shapes and sizes create different experiances. Also why the same cigar line has a cigar that rates 93 and the same cigar with the same tobacco used scored an 88.
    at some point it is still nicaraguan tobacco. this is still within the same overall region (country) so the fact the that the flavor profile has some similarities does not surprise me.

in my experience the cool smoke comes from a larger ring gauge rather than a longer stick. think of it this way, when you suck through a small straw to get the same amount of air through it in the same amount of time you have to suck a lot harder forcing it through a concentrated area. this concentrates the oxygen at the end of a cigar and creates more combustion. a larger ring has softer draw and a cooler smoke.

however, i can see how a cigar does heat up to your perception as it gets closer to the head of the stick.
    the "hot" we are discussing as effecting the flavor is the temp of the burn not so much the perceived temperature of the smoke by the time it reaches your mouth.

as far as different vitolas having different tastes, this was a prime example of what i was talking about in my blending 101 thread starting at the top of the second page. the filler also plays a roll in the complexity on many of the longer sticks due to a longer potion of the leaf being used (covering different nutrient concentrations over the length of the leaf). so yes, many vitolas of the same blend taste very different.

...unless they reblend the cigars to taste the same even thought they are different shapes. many brands do this and im not sure if Oliva is one of them. it wouldnt surprise me if they stuck to the cuban tradition and didnt.

Thank you for the information; it was an observation on how length tempered the temperature of this cigar. I have been lead to believe you would want the hottest burn so all of the oils become smoke in the cigar or you would smolder which creates an acrid/sooty taste. In some of the cigars I have smoked with 52 or larger ring gauge it would result in a cooler burn which gave me an indication of a cooler smoke. Although I have found some of the larger ring gauges require more draw and effort. They also tend to go out more often. Fact is too much heat kills flavor which is only materializes in your mouth. A hot smoke it an awful experience. I believe if you temper the heat with an appropriately rolled, longer cigar, which should assist in cooling the smoke from the burn at the foot, it makes for a better cigar. That is just my observation if all other things were equal. I just wanted to reflect that in my review. I believed it had a positive impact on the cigar that I have experienced. That length tempered the heat well and allowed me to taste more of the cigar, and that is the reason I believed it was a better smoke for it.
    BlueRings:
    Thank you for the information; it was an observation on how length tempered the temperature of this cigar. I have been lead to believe you would want the hottest burn so all of the oils become smoke in the cigar or you would smolder which creates an acrid/sooty taste. In some of the cigars I have smoked with 52 or larger ring gauge it would result in a cooler burn which gave me an indication of a cooler smoke. Although I have found some of the larger ring gauges require more draw and effort. They also tend to go out more often. Fact is too much heat kills flavor which is only materializes in your mouth. A hot smoke it an awful experience. I believe if you temper the heat with an appropriately rolled, longer cigar, which should assist in cooling the smoke from the burn at the foot, it makes for a better cigar. That is just my observation if all other things were equal. I just wanted to reflect that in my review. I believed it had a positive impact on the cigar that I have experienced. That length tempered the heat well and allowed me to taste more of the cigar, and that is the reason I believed it was a better smoke for it.
    well said. and as far as experience goes the length DID temput the heat just not in the same way i was talking about... so in a way we are both right.
    kuzi16:

as far as different vitolas having different tastes, this was a prime example of what i was talking about in my blending 101 thread starting at the top of the second page. the filler also plays a roll in the complexity on many of the longer sticks due to a longer potion of the leaf being used (covering different nutrient concentrations over the length of the leaf). so yes, many vitolas of the same blend taste very different.

...unless they reblend the cigars to taste the same even thought they are different shapes. many brands do this and im not sure if Oliva is one of them. it wouldnt surprise me if they stuck to the cuban tradition and didnt.

I wondered if I was a torcedor how I would roll a Lancero. I believe if I were to roll a Lancero I would need to use a longer leaf removing the vein due to the small ring gauge (large veins do not do well in a Lancero format and promotes twisting). I would think the Lancero is much more of a challenge as the small ring gauge is harder to roll and an inexperianced roller would typically roll it too tight. The wrapper typically carries the cigar in compairson to the filler. The wrapper is truely the key to the flavor profile of a Lancero. I grew up in Miami listening to stories and contrasting points of view from family members that have rolled many year before become exiles and have heard of the challenges of the Lancero format. It was the least favorite to roll but the most favorite to smoke.
  • j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I can imagine a lancero being tough to roll due to the narrow ring over the length, it has to be difficult to keep a uniform bunch the whole way down without having tight spots or loose spots...my hat is off to the people who roll these for a living, that's a skill I sure don't have and likely couldn't learn.
    at the oliva factory i was told that they dont roll the lancero as much because it takes a more skilled roller to make them.
    ...and it is for exactly the reasons you pointed out. a tiny bit too tight on the bunch and the draw is all gone. a tiny twist that is easy to do in that small amount of tobacco and there is no draw at all.