Home General Discussion
Options

B-Day Stick - LP no. 9 - Aging Question

Bobbo2009Bobbo2009 Posts: 915 ✭✭✭
So, my birthday is this Friday. I have decided to have a Liga Privada No. 9 as my birthday cigar. I have had one sitting in my aging humi since 10/1/10. I have only smoked one LP and that was in October of 2010. I loved it. Even though I was just into cigars at that time (maybe smoking one very two weeks) I really enjoyed it.

Now, I have read a lot about people being disappointed in the aging of these sticks. How much of the flavor profile is lost in 1+ years? Even 2+ years? I have one other LP No. 9 that I bought in October of 2011. If it really starts to go downhill at some point, I would like to know at what point you think it tends to go downhill so I don't over age my last one.

Thanks is advance for your input.

Rob

Comments

• Options
    DSWarmackDSWarmack Posts: 1,426
    DON'T LEAVE IT IN A DAMN BAGGIE!!!

OR THIS WILL HAPPEN!

• Options
    allsmokedupallsmokedup Posts: 751 ✭✭
    DSWarmack, your hyperlink has an l at the end...
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I don't know that one can unequivocally state how much time is too much. So much about taste in cigars is subjective, I personally enjoyed the lp9 fresh as much as I did one with 2+ years, but each for different reasons. My only advice would be don't age it for the sake of aging it, cigars are meant to be enjoyed. That's my two cents.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I'm with Joe on smoking 'em! I'm all about the smoking!! I'd only age if I can afford to throw money at cigars. That ain't happening any time soon, so I enjoy every cigar!!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    i dont think it is too much time for the cigar in theory. for me, though, i prefer them fresh. after the LP9 has rested for more than a year it picks up more of the coffee flavors that i dont enjoy as much as the coco and spice that it has when its ROTT. age, for you, might make it better.
  • Options
    allsmokedup:
    DSWarmack, your hyperlink has an l at the end...
    fixed it!
  • Options
    That sucks!! i saw that posted yesterday. A tear came to my eye.
  • Options
    Such is life, learned lesson... SMOKE MORE CIGARS MORE OFTEN!
  • Options
    Thanks for the input guys. I know I will still enjoy it. I've got my notes handy from the one I had back in Oct. 2010 so I can compare what the taste differences are as I smoke through it.

Rob
  • Options
    chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    Hopefully yours is better than the robusto I had yesterday. Not enough filler in the middle and there must have been a lot of veins/ stems that prevented a good roll. Once that portion was burned it was less like ash then a burnt charcoal ridged crystalized consistency.