Home General Discussion

Coolidor without spanish cedar

marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
So will a coolidor that doesn't have any spanish cedar in it maintain the rh level as long as it has beads in it? I have about a half lb of beads in it with more on the way. I just do not have to the ability or resources to put any cedar in there, but do not want to ruin any smokes. My 20 ct humi is now full and my 15 ct herf-a-dor will be full in a couple of days, so I am runing out of storage options other than my cooler which is empty minus the beads.

Comments

• leonardleonard Posts: 359
    Yes.
  • marineatbn03marineatbn03 Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I just got the beads in there yesterday and am still calibrating the hygro, so I haven't been able to test it yet.
  • robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    It will always help to have some cedar in there... I use cigar boxes in mine and have a few cedar racks, so that helps...

Thanks for the comments on my site btw... you're name is in the bowl!
    No problem, just finally figured out how to get in there. It is very informative and helps me to create a list of things I want to try.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Cigar boxes=storage=cedar
    I agree, they are just hard to come by here brother. I might see if there is any spanish cedar available in country, but it is a long shot.
  • 0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wished I'd have known that when I sent the stuff out for you. I have a bunch of small spanish cedar boards that I could have easily put into the herf-a-dor.
    There is a bottle of solution in there though, that should help.
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • 0patience:
    Wished I'd have known that when I sent the stuff out for you. I have a bunch of small spanish cedar boards that I could have easily put into the herf-a-dor.
    There is a bottle of solution in there though, that should help.
    I will add a couple of boxes the stuff you sent tony
    You guys are awesome. First class in my book.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your coolidor plastic on the inside? If so, no seasoning or cedar is necessary as long as the plastic is clean and odor-free.
    Yes, I washed it and let it air dry for about a week, no hint of any smells.
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The coolidor I've been using for the past few years is plastic inside and my beads have done their job perfectly. No reason why yours won't do the same.
    Thanks Marty. Just wanted to make sure before I ruined a bunch of smokes
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    its all about recovery time. cedar will hold RH and stabilize things. it will prevent spikes both up and down.
    spanish cedar is not needed, but it only helps.
    Awesome, thank you Kuzi.