Home General Discussion
Options

Cigars and Boating/Fishing

I'd like to take some cigars out this year when I'm on the river. Any ideas on how to handle your cigar when you suddenly get a "fish on!"? How about keeping the cigar contained/ash from making a mess of your boat? Do you think the residual tobacco on your fingers contaminate your lure/hook when baiting?

Comments

• Options
    pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
    I too like to smoke while I fish, but don't have a boat. If your boat has cupholders, you might look at that Xikar ash can thing that will hold your cigar briefly and will close to contain your ashes when done smoking. As for contaminating your terminal tackle, I don't have a clue. I like the smell, maybe fish do too!
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Cigars are not as big of an issue as cigarettes. Those chemicals are toxic, and I know from experience they affect the bait when you touch it. As to handling, I only fish with cigars that I'd be ready to bite down on or ditch if the action got fast. They do sell plastic cigar tips, or you can just bite down on the sucker. As to ashes in your boat? Seriously? You must have one of those white plastic coated vessels. They get dirty looking at them. I use a boat very frequently and you'll find you get more dirt from the road, dock, and your shoes than the cigar. And besides, when you flop that mad ass bass into your boat he'll be spitting blood and slime all over. Just get into the habit of cleaning the boat every time you use it.
  • Options
    mfotismfotis Posts: 720 ✭✭
    People actually fish when they get into a boat with a cigar? Who knew??
  • Options
    ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    beatnic:
    As to ashes in your boat? Seriously? You must have one of those white plastic coated vessels. They get dirty looking at them. I use a boat very frequently and you'll find you get more dirt from the road, dock, and your shoes than the cigar. And besides, when you flop that mad ass bass into your boat he'll be spitting blood and slime all over. Just get into the habit of cleaning the boat every time you use it.
    lol, I know that sounded pretty 'neat-freak-ish'. It's the type of thing when you get a new car you don't want a scratch on it. When the first one is put in, then you can relax...same thing with ashes. My 3 yr old boat is rigged for boating and fishing. I don't mind flopping fish slime, etc. on the carpeting so shouldn't mind ashes, besides, they'll blend in with the gray carpet...lol.
  • Options
    jgibvjgibv Posts: 9,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ScottTDawg:
    I'd like to take some cigars out this year when I'm on the river. Any ideas on how to handle your cigar when you suddenly get a "fish on!"? How about keeping the cigar contained
    +1 to the Xikar Ash Can suggestion ....

If not, maybe a golf clip cigar holder like this would work --- wouldn't take care of the ash though, unless you clip it so it's hanging off the side of the boat or into a bucket or something ...
    ScottTDawg:
    ash from making a mess of your boat? Do you think the residual tobacco on your fingers contaminate your lure/hook when baiting?
    As far as containing the ash, no idea especially if there's a breeze. All I'd say is ash often and try to be careful.

Don't imagine the tobacco would be a problem, maybe if it's an infused stick....but I could see where cigs cause problems as beatnic suggested...

* I have a new address as of 3/24/18 *