Home Pipes
Options

Laker

Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've just been wondering, how's the pipe experience going for you? Found anything outstanding?
WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Well, it has gone somewhat slow and unsteady. I am not giving up cigars for a pipe just yet lol.

I have tried several tobaccos but have not found anything to my liking yet. I think I will try some more ole world type of tobaccos next. I have also went overboard and bought several pipes lol. Even spent more then I should have to buy a couple of very high quality Phillip Trypis' pipes. I have not used any of them yet as I want to settle on a certain tobacco for each and I am not there yet.

Any suggestions on some more traditional old world types of blends? Thanks for asking Steve, I am going to work through this but it is taking me some time.
  • Options
    Well, it's going to take time, that's the nature of it. Sounds like you'll never have to buy pipes again, though. I keep telling myself I'll buy some corncobs for trying new stuff, probably save a lot of tobacco. For instance, I tried some Orlik flake, but in an established pipe, and it's been less than stellar, so far. Now that I'm down to the last flake or so, it's finally starting to come into its own, and I'm seeing the draw of this type of tobacco. I should have gotten a corncob, to be able to appreciate the tobacco for what it is, then decided whether or not to dedicate a pipe to it.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    MarkerMarker Posts: 2,524
    Dunhill London Mix is a good blend for traditional styles.

Reiner LGF is a good Virginia Burley.

Try not to get sucked into the MacBaren stuff that Canadians seem forced into. Some of it is good but most are not.
  • Options
    Thanks bro.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Marker:
    Dunhill London Mix is a good blend for traditional styles.

Reiner LGF is a good Virginia Burley.

Try not to get sucked into the MacBaren stuff that Canadians seem forced into. Some of it is good but most are not.
    I love the Reiner Long Golden Flake (and Orlik Golden Flake).

One MacBaren that I do enjoy is the Golden Extra. It's a really good burley blend.

I've taken a little break from pipes, after taking them up and smoking nothing but for the winter. Maybe I will load one up soon. Never tried summer pipe smoking.

I will keep my cigars though! They are too different from eachother to replace one another.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    I smoked a lot of the Dunhill when I lived in Germany, always high quality, good smoke. What have you tried so far? Why did/didn't you like it?

• Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    I smoked a lot of the Dunhill when I lived in Germany, always high quality, good smoke. What have you tried so far? Why did/didn't you like it?
    So far I have tried three different McClellands brands. Frog Morton, Frog on the town, and Black Star. While I enjoyed them for the most part, I couldn't shake this feeling in the back of my head that this is NOT what I expected from a pipe.
    I remember when I was a kid the small of an old timer smoking a pipe and that aroma, even then I found so intoxicating. THAT is what I am trying to duplicate in my smoking a pipe life, lol. They say the olfactory senses have a direct link to the brain and certain smells can trigger memories and feelings exactly as they were when originally experienced.
    I guess I will just have to start wding through some of the more traditonal, old world aromatic types of blends until I "find" that experience I seek.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    Amos Umwhat:
    So far I have tried three different McClellands brands. Frog Morton, Frog on the town, and Black Star. While I enjoyed them for the most part, I couldn't shake this feeling in the back of my head that this is NOT what I expected from a pipe.
    I remember when I was a kid the small of an old timer smoking a pipe and that aroma, even then I found so intoxicating. THAT is what I am trying to duplicate in my smoking a pipe life, lol. They say the olfactory senses have a direct link to the brain and certain smells can trigger memories and feelings exactly as they were when originally experienced.
    I guess I will just have to start wding through some of the more traditonal, old world aromatic types of blends until I "find" that experience I seek.
    If your address hasn't changed, I'm going to send you some of the very generous gift that Pilgrimtex sent me. Very different from the Frogmortons, sweeter and mellower. Starting out with Latakia blends might be analogous to starting a cigar newbie on Cu-Avana Intensus, lol.

• Options
    pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    If anyone wants to try some of my blends send me a PM and I'll get you a sample.
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    laker1963:
    Amos Umwhat:
    If your address hasn't changed, I'm going to send you some of the very generous gift that Pilgrimtex sent me. Very different from the Frogmortons, sweeter and mellower. Starting out with Latakia blends might be analogous to starting a cigar newbie on Cu-Avana Intensus, lol.
    What's wrong with that? I like the Intensus, and the Punishers too. LOL. Thanks Steve. I do think it is more a matter of finding that right blend and flavor profile. The idea of smoking a pipe and the ease of it compared to a cigar makes it very appealing.
  • Options
    Amos Umwhat:
    laker1963:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Steve! Thank you. I received those sample packs you sent me today. That cherry blends sure smells nice. That was more what I remember pipe tobacco smelling like. I will be trying that one tonight! I will try the others as they all smell awesome. I have several pipes now anyway so I will be able to give them a clean trial. I realize this will not showcase the flavors as well as a conditoned pipe but it will not mix flavors from past usage either I figure...but what do I know. Thanks again Steve, very generous sir.
  • Options
    laker1963:
    Amos Umwhat:
    laker1963:
    Amos Umwhat:
    Steve! Thank you. I received those sample packs you sent me today. That cherry blends sure smells nice. That was more what I remember pipe tobacco smelling like. I will be trying that one tonight! I will try the others as they all smell awesome. I have several pipes now anyway so I will be able to give them a clean trial. I realize this will not showcase the flavors as well as a conditoned pipe but it will not mix flavors from past usage either I figure...but what do I know. Thanks again Steve, very generous sir.
    The real thanks go to Pilgrimtex, who sent me enough to share.

Speaking of that Cherry Blend, I like it. I gave up on cherry tobacco's a long time ago, really long, like a topic of conversation was "what would you pay to see a Beatles re-union?", because all the cherry blends I'd tried had such a sharp bite. That cherry blend of Walts is smooth, and mixes well with others.

I think maybe too much has been made about a pipe for each blend, it's somewhat true, but think about it, most pipe tobaccos are blends of various types. For myself, though, if I smoked a lot of cherry, for instance, I'd dedicate a pipe to it, at least for a time.

I have no real experience with meerschaums, so it may be more true for them than for briars.