Home General Discussion

Cigar Poker

Made myself a cigar poker out of a piece of bazing rod. Hacked the tip with a knife to give it some small fish hook type barbs. This along the line for pokers Ya'll use?

Comments

• beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Necessity is the mother of invention. I use an ice pick with the end hooked.
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    looks like a good poker. tell us how the barbs work out. the one i made doesnt have that.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    pilgrimtex:
    Made myself a cigar poker out of a piece of bazing rod. Hacked the tip with a knife to give it some small fish hook type barbs. This along the line for pokers Ya'll use?
    That looks awesome! I need to get one of these or make one myself. HMMMMM now to find some materials!
  • brianetz1brianetz1 Posts: 4,134 ✭✭✭
    darn I was hoping this was about how you guys are all going to play cards with us on pokerstars tonight
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I have a few like those...one for short cigars and another for longer ones...I bought mine from a friend who makes these and he put on the rod a couple of crochet like hooks on it to grab the offending plugs of tobacco ....you twist and turn and bring it out and the plug is gone...works perfect.
  • mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    So what would you suggest to use for the spike? A coat hanger seems like it would not be sturdy enough.
  • pilgrimtexpilgrimtex Posts: 429
    Anything stiff will work. Coat hangar may be to small. Brazing rod is about 1/8 in in dia. Very stiff and you can hack into it with a sharp knife to give it barbs. Alum rod works as well as steel. You can pick them up at Ace or some other hardware store. Grind a point on it and hack some Barbs.
  • CigarMan37CigarMan37 Posts: 432
    Dam kid you'll poke your eye out
  • jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a piece of the smallest diameter coat hanger wire I could find. It's plenty stiff enough for the job at hand. I cut the end square to take advantage of the old carpenters trick of dulling the point on a nail when driving it into wood that is likely to split.

A pointed end will act like a wedge and actually promote splitting (like an Ice pick) while the square cut end will cut a clean channel. It may sound strange, but any old-time carpenter will tell you it works.