Home Cigar 101

Maduro vs Oscuro vs Rosado

Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've had some Nestor Miranda Seconds in a maduro wrapper resting for about 7 or 8 months now and they really are good. So I go online searching for them and seems like the availability is not as good any more. The size that I want is available in Rosado and Oscuro but not Maduro.
Would Rosado be more similar to Madoro than the Oscuro?

Any input on the differences in flavor of these three wrappers would be appreciated.

Comments

• kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    id go oscuro... especialy if it is a dark one. though the process is different than the maduro there will still be extra sugars. be ready for a bit stronger and spicier smoke than the maduro.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Kuzi, I'll probably still be getting the maduro in the available smaller vitola, but I'll experiment with the oscuro wrapper in my preferred vitola. Well, I guess both purchases will be a bit of an experiment.
  • webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Kuzi, how does the process differ from maduro to Oscuro to Rosado? Inquiring minds want to know.

Smoked a couple Smithdale Oscuro yesterday. First one was so good I had to chain fire a second. Never done that before.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    To my knowledge the maduro goes through a higher heat formentation and requires a certain plant where oscuro's are mostly habanos and are just foremen ted longer...a rosado is basically the shade all have different qualities if you want sweet maduro then oscuro. The rosado will be more spicy and depending on what you look for all are different
    Money can't buy taste
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    webmost:
    Hey Kuzi, how does the process differ from maduro to Oscuro to Rosado? Inquiring minds want to know.

Smoked a couple Smithdale Oscuro yesterday. First one was so good I had to chain fire a second. Never done that before.

Maduro is a process where cigar leaves are fermented longer to make them darker and bring out the sugars.

Oscuro wrapper leaves are taken from the top priming at medio tiempo (literally “half time,” meaning they’ve been left on the plant 50% longer). Since these leaves have been exposed to a maximum amount of sunlight, they begin to cure on the plant. You end up with a darker, thicker, richer and more flavorful leaf. once picked, they can then be fermented. many times an oscuro leaf will be fermented heavily and be black as coal. other times it wont.

maduro and oscuro often get confused as just colors or the same process just one doen more than the other. but they are very different.

rosado is a leaf that is red in color. thats about it on that one.
  • CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    Great info here for those who aren't really up to date on the processes of wrappers of cigars. The darker the wrapper the better as far as sweetness goes and Oscuro really is the ultimate of tastes IMO. Remember all of the buzz about the Behikes....a lot of it is because of that medio tiempo leaf and it is in about a half dozen other brands that I tend to smoke. I imagine that more brands will start using more of this leaf but it takes a bit more curing and the cost is going to factor in but to me...it's worth it. I switched to a maduro leaf years ago and smoke a lot of darker cigars because my tastes at my age have changed considerably and I need a more complex stronger and sweeter cigar to get my kicks. I do enjoy the lighter wrappers from time to time but they are few and far between. Rosados are a good cigars as well but they have that peppery type of taste and are on the uprise in brands for good reason. They meld with the filler of the cigar much like you'd squeeze lemon over fresh seafood...it just brings out more of the flavor and w/o having to push that "pepper" taste into a cigar the Rosado does it in a way where it's not overpowering.