Home Non Cigar Related
Options

To those who shave their head.

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
My hair has been thinning for a while and I told my wife that when it got worse, I would shave it.
I was wondering what products to use and basic technique.
If you do not feel comfortable posting, please send me a pm.
Thanks.
One God, One Truth

Comments

• Options
    macs-smokesmacs-smokes Posts: 587
    Ain't skeerd... I have been doing my own hair for years... but I don't shave it. Clippers are your friend. Buzz my hair short and I don't have that 5 o'clock shadow... I still have to do this every couple weeks but $20 for good clippers and a hand mirror that your wife probably already has... and you have hair care for years.

Also you don't have to shave it daily or deal with chemicals. With my "free" time at a premium this is the way to go for me.
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Keeps the cooties down, too.
    “It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    New_BootsNew_Boots Posts: 2,651 ✭✭
    Not balding, but I've shaved mine many many times. Clippers to cut it down as far as you can.....now, two options.

Option 1: More expensive up front, cheaper in the long run: Get the smaller, precision clippers...the ones they use to line up your neck. You can do your whole head with them, unless its real bumpy...then thats for you to figure out.

Option 2: Cheaper up from, more expensive in the long run: Standard razor and shaving creme. This is the option I used. I'd buy the cheap disposable razors in large packs...and burn through 3-4 per shave. I tried doing it with a Mach 3, burnt up 2 blades. Thats about $5 per shave with the Mach 3. You can get bags of 20 disposables for $5, or about 4 shaves. (my figures may be a little off here, think of it as general)
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a friend who bought a Flobby(?). He looked like some bats on a feeding frenzy attacked him. So he shaved and he swore by the vibrating Fusion, Fusion shaving cream and Gillette gel after shave. I use the system for shaving and it works really well. Extremely smooth and no irritation.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I use clippers (beard trimmers really) with the guard off once per week. If I want to go further, I use my razor with shaving cream. I can do my whole head and get another week out of it for my face. I have a bumpy head so I don't do it too often but it's fun when you do. Then again, I don't shave in all directions - I just shave with the grain so it's not 100% smooth all around.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Normally I just go over my dome with clippers but if I slick it up I use a shaving system called ahead Slick.
    It consists of a "specialized" razor that has a finger ring and a shaving cream with a small amount of menthol in it. You have to use the Actra blades in it, but it does a really good job.
  • Options
    Thanks for all the responses guys.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    james40:
    I use clippers (beard trimmers really) with the guard off once per week. If I want to go further, I use my razor with shaving cream. I can do my whole head and get another week out of it for my face. I have a bumpy head so I don't do it too often but it's fun when you do. Then again, I don't shave in all directions - I just shave with the grain so it's not 100% smooth all around.

+1 except once a month. Gets a bit like Grizzly Adams, but I don't mind.
  • Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    You have a wife AND hair? How'd you hold on to it this long? I just go with Gilette foamy and a Schick Quattro. Buzz it nice and short first and take your time. There are some decent shaving products out there but if you wash your face and head with a good moisturizing soap (I use Nivea's hair and body wash) and hot water first, it will open up the pores and soften the hair and skin. Keep the razor in hot water, apply your shaving foam/cream and shave with the hair, re-apply foam/cream and shave against the hair. Short strokes and just use your hand as a guide to feel for stubble. When I'm in a rush, it looks like I got in a sword fight with a samurai but if I really take my time, the red can be kept to a minimum. :)

Welcome to the shiny scalp club.
  • Options
    C-LOVEC-LOVE Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭
    Toombes:
    Normally I just go over my dome with clippers but if I slick it up I use a shaving system called ahead Slick.
    It consists of a "specialized" razor that has a finger ring and a shaving cream with a small amount of menthol in it. You have to use the Actra blades in it, but it does a really good job.

+1 this is what I use. I've been shaving my head since I was 24, I'm now 34. Just shave it bro, no since hanging on, probably look better shaved anyway. Pick a long weekend or vacation and blade that MoFo.
  • Options
    C-LOVEC-LOVE Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭
    Toombes:

+1 this is what I use. I've been shaving my head since I was 24, I'm now 34. Just shave it bro, no since hanging on, probably look better shaved anyway. Pick a long weekend or vacation and blade that MoFo.
  • Options
    No_one21No_one21 Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭
    http://www.amazon.com/84701-Professional-Super-Taper-Clipper/dp/B0018C0MJS/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1385576324&sr=8-6&keywords=hair+clippers

I've been shaving my head for about 10 years now and have gone through 2 cheapo $20 clippers. Decided to upgrade to the linked. Maybe spent $100 on haircuts in 10 years including buying the clippers lol so it's a good deal. I used to just use no clips on them but recently have been going #2 every 2 weeks.
  • Options
    We have a pair of Wahl clippers and we normally buzz my head. The past couple of months, iv noticed it growing faster but coming in thinner. Wednesday night we buzzed it again, then the wife took my razor to it. I use a merkur 34c heavy duty safety razor. Anyway, its not super smooth yet, but for a first attempt, i like it.

Thank you gentleman for your inputs.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    I shave mine because it wont stop growing, any one want it?
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    I use a 4 blade razor and cheap shaving cream every other day in the shower. When you get the feel for it, its the easiest way.

and for how good you will look bald?? It could look as good as me or as bad as Toombes ;)
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    And someone PLEASE take a razor to Irishman.......
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    firetruckguy:
    I use a 4 blade razor and cheap shaving cream every other day in the shower. When you get the feel for it, its the easiest way.

and for how good you will look bald?? It could look as good as me or as bad as Toombes ;)

Really, bro?!?!?
    photo null_zps1927fcfd.jpg
  • Options
    Haha!!!
    One God, One Truth