Home Cigar 101
Options

I am slowly coming around to a 65 on humidification.

jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
My 5 Vegas was reading 80 this morning with the black humidifier supplied.

My Leoninos have become a tight draw at 72.

So I am going to buy next month a bunch of Black Ice and start experimenting to find a 65 for each box.

Please jump in if I am on the wrong track or if you have a suggestion.

Comments

• Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I'm sure you already know that anything over 70% is a no no for RH so most will keep it at 63-68%. Tight draws usually are a precursor for a humi being too high so getting that number down is important.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigary:
    I'm sure you already know that anything over 70% is a no no for RH so most will keep it at 63-68%. Tight draws usually are a precursor for a humi being too high so getting that number down is important.
    dont forget the mold
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    CigaryCigary Posts: 630
    I would love to forget mold and you are correct....the safe bet is too keep your RH around 65 plus or minus about 2% in which case you're still in that safe region.
  • Options
    jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    12 hours at 68 and my Leoninos are already better....amazing.
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Lower rh IMO tastes better and burns better. How you got 72 is a bad thing!! Mold and beetles come at those a lot easier. Personally I like 67-65rh and at low temps...no one really knows where 70/70 comes from and I think it's more of a noob thing too follow it. Smoke how you like it some do better at higher rh most do better at lower IMO.
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is one of the first things I learned here on the forum. To try a lower RH. I had been fine with 70% for a few years but now I think 65% to 68% provides a better burn for a majority my cigars.
  • Options
    kaspera79kaspera79 Posts: 7,257 ✭✭✭
    There was a time when I worked at keeping a 72/72 climate. Now I like it better at closer to 68% and 70 temp.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    I keep my cigars around 64 to 68.
  • Options
    SasquatchSasquatch Posts: 307 ✭✭✭
    As previous posters said, most cigars smoke well around 65%