Home Cigar 101
Options

Storage and separation for aging

TatuajeVITatuajeVI Posts: 2,378
So I tend to separate my cigars as much as possible by wrapper since I have some extra room in the coolidor at the moment. BUT my good friend does not have this luxury. He has a really nice display humidor that he ages his cigars in, but it only fits maybe 30 cigars the way he likes to organize it. He stores them naked - cello gets thrown away.

His question: if he were to place a few different types of cigars next to each other (let's say a Maduro of some kind, and a sumatra of another kind) next to each other and age them for a year or five, will that affect the taste of the cigars? And if so, what would you suggest to separate them effectively? Wax paper? Cedar strips? What do you think?

Comments

• Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Flavor Mending is only really going to occur over a period of MANY MANY YEARS... Yes there may be a slight aroma coming from a strong Maduro onto another stick, but I'd be hard pressed if you actually noticed a flavor difference. Hell it takes almost 3 months for a Cigar to completely get regulated to your Rh and fully adhere in and out to the specific % you want...

What the hell can a year do?

If he is REALLY worried about this, or he has some SUPER expensive sticks that he just CAN NOT have any flavor melding going on, I'd say cedar strips would be the aromatic choice, wax paper would work as a scent barrier, but that would look ghey...

If he woudn't mind seeing the eye-sore of Wax Paper, then I'd say just leave the damn cello on, it'll look better
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    seriously, i wouldnt worry about it.

i doubt that he would be able to notice a difference in taste.

im fairly sure that i couldnt.
  • Options
    I've been encouraging him to quit being a little girl about it, but he keeps asking me to get the opinions of guys here. I'll pass along the info.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    he keeps asking me to get the opinions of guys here.
    Tell him to join up and ask his own questions....otherwise we won't give serious answers. :D
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    TatuajeVI:
    I've been encouraging him to quit being a little girl about it, but he keeps asking me to get the opinions of guys here. I'll pass along the info.
    Tell him stop being a pansy and join the forums! jk ;)

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Renaissance_ManRenaissance_Man Posts: 973 ✭✭
    Tell him to put ONE Acid cigar in and wait a couple years ;)... I have noticed with some really strong smelling cigars the smell transfers pretty quickly and not only that but it does seem to affect flavor somehow... Tell him though to make sure he never puts an infused cigar in there! I had one in for less than 3 weeks in my humi. Naked... And now it smells of bloody fake chocolate... :/
  • Options
    Renaissance_Man:
    Tell him to put ONE Acid cigar in and wait a couple years ;)... I have noticed with some really strong smelling cigars the smell transfers pretty quickly and not only that but it does seem to affect flavor somehow... Tell him though to make sure he never puts an infused cigar in there! I had one in for less than 3 weeks in my humi. Naked... And now it smells of bloody fake chocolate... :/
    Infused cigars is definitely a horrible idea, Stan. I remember having to leave a humidor open for 6 months to get the stink out of it from ACIDs. But he's much smarter than that.
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep a small humi for infused/flavored cigars. This keeps them away from the smokes I have aging. I have heard that flavored cigars don't really age, but I do keep them separate. If they do age, so much the better.
  • Options
    Hey I just purchased a 200 count humidor, what humidification should I use. I see they have different types of brands, and im new to this so if anybody has any suggestion, it would be great.
  • Options
    jihiggsjihiggs Posts: 469 ✭✭
    the point of smoking a flavored cigar is to taste the flavoring. the tobacco itself used in them is not usually the highest grade, and the meticulous blending that takes places by other cigar makers doesn't happen. in my opinion, flavored cigars are lower quality and just a method of delivering potpourri to your mouth.
  • Options
    4bob44bob4 Posts: 212
    Anthony24:
    Hey I just purchased a 200 count humidor, what humidification should I use. I see they have different types of brands, and im new to this so if anybody has any suggestion, it would be great.
    Anthony,

Welcome to the board. Your best bet is going to be to search "seasoning you humidor" in the search bar at the top. That will get you started. As for humidification I use and recommend Heartfeldt beads. They seem to be the most user friendly solution. If you have any questions feel free to ask.
  • Options
    Tell him to leave the cello on. That way when it gets yellow from aging, he know's there rready to smoke!