Home General Discussion
Options

To Quit or Not

christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
I have a bunch of stogies that are just not to my liking. Not sure if Im buying cigars simply because its fun. No body I know smokes. Smoking alone isnt the most fun. Sometimes it is. Not sure if I should toss the ones I have and quit or see if there is a cigar that is more to my liking. Im a confused lad. Sorry for wasting your time.

Comments

• Options
    AshMeAshMe Posts: 318
    Bob Luken just finished teaching me how to do this. I figured I'd give him credit.
    "Do you smoke? Mind if I do?"  - Genie, in Aladdin. 
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    christian1971:
    I have a bunch of stogies that are just not to my liking. Not sure if Im buying cigars simply because its fun. No body I know smokes. Smoking alone isnt the most fun. Sometimes it is. Not sure if I should toss the ones I have and quit or see if there is a cigar that is more to my liking. Im a confused lad. Sorry for wasting your time.
    What do you have that you are not liking? Is there anything you have tried that you do like? Are you storing them in a humidor/tupperdor? you could always jump on the v-herf and smoke with us and enjoy some company. ( I am able to enjoy a cigar a lot more when I have some conversation going).
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    dr_frankenstein56dr_frankenstein56 Posts: 1,612 ✭✭✭
    yea, lets trade what you got out find you something you like.

I feel the same way alot, I dont really share the hobby with anyone else so I smoke alone alot. I cant do V-herf either because i dont have good internet where i live.

So lets not quit! lets get you back in buisness with us!

Aj
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I smoke alone most of the time. And I'm pretty good company. (Most of the time.) Let us know which ones you don't like and let us know some that you do like and there may be some recommendations we could make. And it's OK if you aren't that into cigar smoking. You shouldn't force it if you aren't enjoying it enough.
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I enjoy relaxing with a cigar and a drink, but I agree it has to be a good cigar. If I am trying something new that I am not enjoying or smoking one just because it was in the humi, I lose interest. Find something you really enjoy. I have a small cooler full of cigars that other people love, but I only smoke while I am working in the yard or something. Let us know what you like. May have some in that other cooler
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    dr_frankenstein56:
    yea, lets trade what you got out find you something you like.

I feel the same way alot, I dont really share the hobby with anyone else so I smoke alone alot. I cant do V-herf either because i dont have good internet where i live.

So lets not quit! lets get you back in buisness with us!

Aj
    +1 to this. Let me know and we can try to help remedy this.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    There definitely are two parts to the hobby. One being the smoking and enjoying of the cigars and the other being the acquiring and building the collection. I've been going a little overboard with the acquiring portion probably and usually only smoke one per day for the most part. But, I wanted to get as much of a stash built up since no one really knows what will happen and when it will happen as far as the whole FDA crap.

As others have suggested, let's try and get some trades and stuff going so the ones you're not enjoying can go to someone who will and then get some stuff you will like headed your way. When I was in Phoenix both my roommate and I smoked cigars so usually had some good company while enjoying a cigar. Now that I moved I'm always smoking alone. I usually just pull up Netflix and catch up on some episodes of a show or watch a movie. The V-Herf is a great suggestion too and I would try that as well but don't have a webcam right now.

Hopefully you stick with it and start enjoying it more and there's definitely tons of great guys and ladies here to help with that too. Have to say, we as a group get a bad rep from the public at large but you won't find a nicer and more generous group of people out there, that's fo sho.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I quit cigars twice and regretted it both times. Cancer runs in my family and it terrifies me. I realized how much I enjoyed the hobby and I can't live my life in fear so I always come back. When I do I am sadden by the loss of the sticks and humidors that I sold. I started feeling burned out on trying to keep up with the latest cigar trends and hunting down those htf things that I took about a 2 year buying break. This time I kept what I had and slowly smoked them away. Came back after a break and have that crazy passion and obsession. My advice is take a break. If it is just certain cigars you don't like trade them away and try something new. I hate smoking by myself too and sharing a cigar with someone is part of the enjoyment. Someone in another thread said something about smoking cigars being like meditation and I agree. I find smoking alone gives me time to reflect on things and relax. Different ways to enjoy cigars. Hope you figure it out.
  • Options
    jimmyv723jimmyv723 Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭
    Good points Jake and yeah took a couple years off as well but was focusing on pipes and building that collection up. I had a couple reasons for taking a break from here but am definitely very happy to be back and as I said before, you won't find a nicer group of people.

One thing I would also suggest is maybe once or twice a week head down to a local B&M if you have a good one close by. I was lucky to have a nice shop real close when I was in Phoenix and the Owners were great and the regulars were all awesome too. Just a thought and hope you find a solution that works best for you.
    Ken Light 3K MOW Badge - 8/14
    2015 Gang War - East Coast
    Enola Gay - Target #29

• Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    christian1971:
    I know exactly what you feel. SInce none of my friends smoke, I do smoke alone, and usually only during lunch when I'm taking a walk. I don't smoke at home because that would give The Better Half a reason to start smoking cigarettes again (which I made her quit as a condition of getting married 23 years ago). I end up enjoying less than 20% of the different cigars I smoke and after a bad one I ask myself why I'm doing this. But, you know, on those occasions when I do get a really good cigar it really is a pleasure. Or, on the rare times when She's away and I sneak one on the patio with a glass of scotch, I find it a pleasure. If you quit, there's nothing wrong with that. But if you're not smoking cigars you like, just keep trying different ones. Folks here can help supply with a variey. Me, too, if you want to. (Just PM me.)
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    Cigar angst? Don't throw them away, no. If you really don't like the one's you have, like the others said, trade them or get something else. You must have found some you like, get more of them if you want to, or just take a break. I smoke alone all the time, it's my time. Someone posted here a while back that his cigar is an hour or so hour vacation, or something like that. But if you are not sure, keep your humi's up and running and at least you will have some aged cigars.
  • Options
    christian1971christian1971 Posts: 467 ✭✭✭
    The3Stogies:
    Cigar angst? Don't throw them away, no. If you really don't like the one's you have, like the others said, trade them or get something else. You must have found some you like, get more of them if you want to, or just take a break. I smoke alone all the time, it's my time. Someone posted here a while back that his cigar is an hour or so hour vacation, or something like that. But if you are not sure, keep your humi's up and running and at least you will have some aged cigars.
    I think I will take your recommendation. I do enjoy oliva v churchhill extra and jdn 1970. Same with my pipe baccy. Been sittingmin jars for over a year. Perhaps I need to findmthe right beverage to go with it?
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    christian1971:
    1) Too many sticks you don't like is the product of constantly trying new cigars. Find a couple types you like, stock them by the box, and stick to them. Send the stuff you don't like to troops or monthly lottery winners or new forum members.

2) Holy men and sages throughout the ages have reported that wisdom can only be attained in solitude and silence. Smoke alone, quietly, and let your mind wander.

3) No body you know smokes? Join a cigar forum.

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    matkn293matkn293 Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see that you have tried and liked to oliva v and the JDN. Anything else you have tried and liked? Have you tried the Melanio? What do you have that you didn't like that you would like to trade out? It may give a baseline of what it is you are not liking and try to assist of you do want to stay in crazy land.

Life is too short to smoke bad cigars!!!

Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues, Oh when the Blues go marching in!

• Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a big Oliva fan so if you want to trade some sticks I can get you some of those and maybe a couple others I have really liked as well. I smoke just about anything so I am not picky but the oliva v is one of my top 5 favorites. I have some of them as well as the melanio and mb3's I would be more than willing to help you out.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is it certain brands, wrappers, country of origin? Full, medium? Full body and full flavor aren't everybody's cup of tea. I find my taste change a lot so when certain types just don't cut it any more I will switch types.