Home Non Cigar Related

How long before we are prosecuted or sued for our faith?

Big''nBall''nBig''nBall''n Posts: 767 ✭✭✭✭
A whole lot of things have been going on around our country, recently, which change is nice and helps billed growth,  to me being gay is not a crime, and i don't hate people for being gay, i know gay people and they are great. but i have read some head lines lately, Gay couple to sue church for not marring them, and Churches may lose tax-exempt status for not marring gay couples  are a couple that come to mind that i have seen. getting married doesn't have to be in a church, why do people believe they are above God will? I know that many people do nit believe in God and feel that faith is pushed on them, but God and his followers have been around a lot longer than the government. is only a matter of time before this all comes to ahead is some form. 

Faith in God to me is more important to me than faith in man.  
The Names Ball'n.... Big'nBall'n! 

Comments

• jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The future is an absolute gold mine for shysters. Things are changing too fast and without learning anything from our past mistakes. Trying to fix everything at one time has never worked and a lot of people are going to be caught in the middle. Your faith and belief in the system is not enough anymore, now it is forced on you with out regard to how it will affect you or the people around you. Forget who you are and stand in line for your shot.
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing as we have freedom of religion I doubt you will ever be sued for your beliefs, but if you are claiming tax exempt status you have to play by the government definition of the tax code. 
  • jd50aejd50ae Posts: 7,900 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seeing as we have freedom of religion I doubt you will ever be sued for your beliefs, but if you are claiming tax exempt status you have to play by the government definition of the tax code. 
    Spoken just like a lawyer.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    This will be interesting to see. If the Government takes away the tax breaks (a long established precedent) to punish the Church for not marrying homosexuals. Then the government would be essentially assessing punitive measures on the Church while they likely will claim they are not making any restrictions on religion. Because restricting free practice of religion, would be unconstitutional. I predict this type of case will come up and be appealed and appealed all the way to the supreme court. The key is:  Will they rule that the tax breaks are an established precedent and if so,  can be revoked punitively against religious doctrine or not? It would appear that's what's coming down the pike. 
  • ExpendableYouthExpendableYouth Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally don't believe the federal government should subsidize any group that openly discriminates against people. The Boy Scouts of America can under similar fire and changed their policy on allowing homosexuals into their organization. I still don't agree on making religious faith a requirement either, but it is a step in the right direction.
  • Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,004 ✭✭✭✭✭

Boy Scout Oath or Promise

On my honor, I will do my best 
    To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; 
    To help other people at all times; 
    To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

• The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2015
    jd50ae said:
    Spoken just like a lawyer.
    Lol, most politicians were once lawyers weren't they, or studied law anyway.

• Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One would think that it would clearly be a violation of the concept of separation of church and state for the government to dictate to any denomination or sect what their own beliefs will be by decree. Seems simple. Very little is simple or straightforward anymore. The really easy solution would be; if the Baptists won't marry you, go down the street to the Lutherans, who will. Unless your purpose is to bully and dominate the Baptists, rather than to engage in a cermony expressing your love and comittment to ona another.
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    Has the government taken away the tax-exempt status of the Mormon Church because some of its "out there" members still proactive polygamy? No. Has the government taken away the tax-exempt status of ultra-orthodox Jewish synagogues that treat women as second class citizens? No. Has the government taken away the tax-exempt status of religious institutions that openly express hatred of minorities, gays, and those of other faiths? No. Did the government take away the tax-exempt status of mosques after 9/11 or since the rise of ISIS? No. Did the government take away the tax-exempt status of the Catholic church for protecting hundreds of pedophile priests? No. Did the government take away the tax exempt status of churches, synagogues or mosques that refused to conduct interfaith or interracial marriages? No. 

You have nothing to worry about religious suppression--at least from the federal government, which has never removed the tax-exempt status from any religious institution simply for following its beliefs. Now, if that religious institution does receive federal money it  may or may not be required to adhere to federal guidelines regarding behavior--for example, it could conceivable remove federal medicaid funding from a Christian or Jewish hospital that refused to treat gay or black people. But if that institution doesn't receive federal grants, and obeys the laws, it won't lose its tax-exempt status or be subject to prosecution. The first amendment protection of religion has been one of the most vigorously protected and least-restricted rights--even more so than freedom of speech and assembly.  

And, contrary to what many think, the Supreme Court ruling didn't say that churches and synagogues were legally required to marry gay couples. Nor did it grant gay people the same rights as straight people. All it did was say that federal, state and local governments could not pass laws or conduct actions prohibiting gay people from marrying. Meaning that gay people can't be denied a marriage license--and all the legal rights that a legal marriage offers--from their state. The ruling didn't state that churches, synagogues or mosques couldn't legally refuse to marry gay couples. And given the makeup of Congress today and the huge influence of religious leaders on politicians, it's highly unlikely that persecution of any religious institution will occur any time soon.  

• pelirrojopelirrojo Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭
  • wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Is this a joke? 
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"