Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Medeival fantasy novel for a young child?

LiquidChaos66LiquidChaos66 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭✭
Im looking for a good book to read my daughter. she is 6.5 years old and I really want to help build her imagination and appreciation for fantasy novels. Any suggestions on what I can read to her at this age that wont be traumatizing? lol
Life is like a blind fiver. You never know what you're gonna get.

Comments

• Options

I don't think one is ever to young for The Hobbit, or perhaps some Harry Potter, or Roald Dahl's works like Matlida, or even perhaps the Narnia series?

• Options

I don't think one is ever to young for The Hobbit, or perhaps some Harry Potter, or Roald Dahl's works like Matlida, or even perhaps the Narnia series?

I have the Hobbit and the whole Harry Potter series.... The wife and daughter already read the whole Narnia series last year... Maybe ill try Harry Potter with her. cause im a Potter nerd lol
  • Options
    All awesome suggestions too! Thanks! :)
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2015
    David Eddings has a series' that might fit the bill, start's with the Belgariad, sorcery, quest, adventure that sort of stuff, good daydream material.  I think there's about 13-14 books altogether.  
  • Options
    MartelMartel Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know about medieval, but my kids enjoyed the Fablehaven series of books a lot.  Or try Lloyd Alexander's "Chronicles of Prydain."  I loved those and they certainly fit the bill.

"Secrets of Droon" is a series kind of like "Magic Tree House" but going to a fantasy world.  My kids read a couple.  And BTW, Magic Tree House books were some of my kids favorites.

How to Train Your Dragon books held my son's interest but aren't much like the movies.  The Tales of the Frog Princess books held my daughter's.  And they both liked The Fire Within, the first of "The Last Dragon Chronicles."  I don't remember the rest in the series.

These are the ones I can think of for younger kids.  There's some scary bits to Fablehaven, but nothing worse than in some of the Potter books.

My kids love fantasy, so I've got some more for as yours gets older; they're 11 and 13, now, and reading at college levels.  I hate it because I was a sci-fi fan at their ages and really only like Narnia, Prydain, and Tolkien when it came to fantasy.  I scoffed at all the rest.  But I'd sit down with the Asimovs' Norby books for days on end in early elementary school.
    Intelligence is knowing that a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

I like Oliva and Quesada (including Regius) a lot.  I will smoke anything, though.
  • Options
    jarublajarubla Posts: 2,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +1 to Fablehaven and Prydian Chronicles

The Artemis Fowl series is good

The Lightning Thief also

Alcatraz Versus the Evil Librarians

Hope this helps!

-Jay
    “There’ll be two dates on your tombstone and all your friends will read ’em but all that’s gonna matter is that little dash between ’em.” -Kevin Welch
  • Options

All those suggestions are awesome! I will check them out! :-)

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    raisindotraisindot Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭
    The Once and Future King by T.H. White. Still considered by most to be the definitive retelling of the King Arthur/Camelot story. 
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    I think the Magic Kingdom of Landover series by Terry Brooks is worth looking at.

• Options
    wahooschockwahooschock Posts: 792 ✭✭✭
    Im either using oldgrimm fairytails ormaking my own.
    I love my pack and a good community (cigars/Vape)
    "I'm at the point in my life where if it doesn't taste good,I'm not putting it in my mouth"
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Despite growing up devouring fantasy novels at about 10x the pace as any homework or other responsibilities, I´m not sure what might be out on the market today. I remember my mom starting the Hobbit with me at about 6, and I took it from her pretty soon because I didn´t like being read to (I do remember clearly thinking ¨wow these chapters are soooo long¨, since it was my first real chapter book). Also, the Dragonriders of Pern comes to mind, but I can´t recall how age appropriate that really was.
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    I ended up finding a book about Scottish folk lore and fairy tales. :-) should suit us for a while.