Home General Discussion
Options

Coolidor fans

johnnyBjohnnyB Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭✭✭
So as a newb i've been thinking a lot about setting up a cooler.I've read a bunch about them seems like a great idea. Saw something somewhere about using an oust fan there around 7or8 dollars run on batteries.they run for 5min every 15mins. Has anyone ever tried one of these.
Non Crux sed lux

Comments

• Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your in and out of it regularly a fan not required 
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2016
    Please disregard. The photo I'm trying to post from photobucket doesn't seem to want to cooperate and the forum won't allow me to just delete this post. I'll try again later....  :p
  • Options
    avengethisavengethis Posts: 5,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Like Wildcat said if you go in on a regular basis there is no need for a fan.  I am in mine probably once a day on average and its always steady and doesn't require a fan.  I have 2 coolers and each I have my humidification devices spread out in the cooler which probably helps.  I use Boveda packs in 1 cooler.  6 of the larger packs spread throughout works well and then in the other I have beads and I believe it is 1 pound total but spread out into 5 or 6 different bags.
    Team O'Donnell FTW!

"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke ever last one of 'em." - Ron White
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    Okay, I'm back. And I agree with @kswildcat and @avengethis in that if you're into your humi or coolidor daily you probably don't need a fan. However, here's how I rigged a fan from an old computer to run on a timer and requiring no batteries. I use it in my coolidor, which I'm not into all that much. 

First, an FYI - the output voltage of the transformer you use needs to be equal to or less than the voltage required by the fan motor. A 12v DC fan motor will run on less - 10v, 8v, whatever. It'll just run a little slower. To run it on HIGHER voltage could damage the motor and isn't recommended. 

Transformers could be like phone chargers or other devices that you plug into an outlet to charge up. Just pay attention to the output voltage that it produces. 

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm of the opinion that any humidity difference between the top and bottom of a cooler is insignificant and not worth bothering with.  I tested my storage boxes which might be 16" deep and there was no difference.  Even if the percentage of humidity was off by 2 or 3 percent, why would you care?
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    edited February 2016
    peter4jc said:
    I'm of the opinion that any humidity difference between the top and bottom of a cooler is insignificant and not worth bothering with.  I tested my storage boxes which might be 16" deep and there was no difference.  Even if the percentage of humidity was off by 2 or 3 percent, why would you care?
    I guess it all depends on ones degree of a n a l-ness. That's my excuse and I'm sticking with it....  :p
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great idea if you want to be precise. I never used mine. Bought two. They came in smelling like the air freshener they were packed with. Might have leaked. I've tested my hygrometers all over my coolers to check for variations. It's always just a few points difference if any.