Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Happy Cinco de Mayo...it's a Texas thing

GrouchoMGrouchoM Posts: 302 ✭✭✭
Cinco de Mayo (pronounced: [ˈsiŋko ðe ˈmaʝo]Spanish for "May 5th", or literally, "Fifth of May") is a celebration held onMay 5. The date is observed to commemorate the Mexican Army's unlikely victory over French forces at theBattle of Puebla on May 5, 1862, under the leadership of General Ignacio Zaragoza. In the United States, Cinco de Mayo is sometimes mistaken to be Mexico's Independence Day—the most important national holiday in Mexico—which is celebrated on September 16.
The secret word is cigars! 

Comments

• Options
    kswildcatkswildcat Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Actually it's a thing wherever there is a large group of Latinos.  Dodge City,  Garden City and Great Bend KS same as shut down for it...

Use to be the meat packing plants all but shut down but since most the workers now are from the middle east it's different. 
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just another excuse to party and get sloshed.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As if you need an excuse
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Big here in San Jose too, has gotten out of hand in the past with drunken brawls
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ate Mexican for lunch. Happy coincidence. I didn't even remember the date until I was there. Maybe I'll sip some o that Mexican hooch tonight, but I'll have to remember.
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Here in Phoenix it's quite popular and is moving up the ladder as one of the larger amateur drunk nights like New Years Eve & St Paddys Day. One of my worst hangovers ever was suffered on May 6

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amateur, a true pro would have the hangover on the 7th.  :)
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    The pros don't get hungover.
  • Options
    The3StogiesThe3Stogies Posts: 2,652 ✭✭✭✭
    I smoked a Cinco-Vegas, does that count?

I used to be a pro, friends would come over I usually had a drink going anytime.  Told them it was training, to be good at anything you have to train right.  No way was I going to pass out at a party and get painted.  
  • Options
    PatrickbrickPatrickbrick Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yakster said:
    The pros don't get hungover.
    This is true, what's a hangover?
    "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give".  Winston Churchill.
    MOW badge received.