Home General Discussion
Options

Learned Something New - Ligero & Nicotine

Rockethead26Rockethead26 Posts: 296 ✭✭✭✭
So a couple of days ago I was smoking a very nice cigar when about halfway thru, my stomach started doing flips. I had to put it out. Two hours later, I can barely eat and my wife says that I still look pretty green. I always try hard not to inhale any smoke, but occasionally do a retrohale to see what flavors may be present.

This cigar sickness has only happened once before, several months ago. I had to walk around the block for an hour before the feeling that I wanted to puke went away. I just assumed that I had inadvertently inhaled smoke without being aware.

Yesterday, I read an article about the difference between cigarettes and cigars. In that was a reference to the fact that cigar smoke has a higher pH than cigarette smoke which make the cigar smoke more unpleasant to inhale. It also makes the nicotine easily absorbed thru the mucous membranes of the mouth and nose.

Wow, I didn't know that. So I went to read about the cigar that I had smoked and only after reading three different descriptions of the content of the cigar did I find one that mentioned that it had a wrapper and filler of ligero tobacco which contains the highest content of nicotine of any leaf on the tobacco plant.

OK, so a relative newbie to cigars learns something new about cigars and also learns to avoid any stick with ligero leaves in it. I'm pretty sure that's what happened the first time around as well, although I did not make a note of the cigar that turned me green.

I thought some of the new members here would find this helpful if they are sensitive to nicotine.
Life is good, don't waste it.

Comments

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Having a good meal before smoking a ligero can really lessen the blow, you may even find it enjoyable under those circumstances.
    Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Most sticks have ligero blended in the filler
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    Usaf06 said:
    Most sticks have ligero blended in the filler
    Maybe it was the double dose with the ligero wrapper on this one?
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    how do you pronounce ligero?  is it like lee gay ro? or like lee gyro? 
  • Options
    jliu said:
    More like lee ge ro based on Spanish pronunciation.
  • Options
    Usaf06Usaf06 Posts: 10,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu said:
    Leave the gyro out of this
    "I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
    -- Winston Churchill

"LET'S GO FRANCIS"     Peter

• Options
    miller65rodmiller65rod Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu said:
    Ligero: LFD Double Ligero, Pepin Blue, Asylum Straight Jacket, La Bomba Warhead II   = Lee Gear Ooooh. Ligero

Free Cuba
    "I ain't got no Opus's"
    LLA
    - Lancero Lovers of America
    2016 Gang War (South)
    May I assss u a ?

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbs before nicotine.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,028 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Carbs AND sugar to treat the nicotine yucks. 
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a puzzler to me... some full-on ligero hi-octane sticks will have zero effect, food or no food, and other mild-to-medium sticks will hit me with a strong buzz.  There's no saying why or how...  sometimes, my body just reacts differently.

Le Hair Oh.  Except that the Spanish sound for G has a guttural hard sound, so it's not exactly like our H. 
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    jlmartajlmarta Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2016
    Some Mexican friends pronounce it Li-hair-o. The G is like an H in Spanish, I'm told. 

Its just like like a lot of us Americans think Padilla rhymes with vanilla. Wrong!  The Spanish pronunciation is Pa-DEE-ya, just like tortilla. 

My Mexican yard man keeps me up on all this lingo....  :#

Peter's got it right. (They got Mexican yard guys in Wisconsin??)
  • Options
    Vanilla in Spanish is Va NEE ya, so it is the same.
  • Options
    jliujliu Posts: 7,735 ✭✭✭✭
    so if I say "i really enjoyed this lee gay ro in this pah dill ah sea gar" that sound right? 
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Vanilla in Spanish is Va NEE ya, so it is the same.
    Actually it's vainilla. V is pronounced with a B sound.
    Bye-knee-ya

like Liga Pree Ba da

"It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    danielreyes, you are correct. Been too long since I lived in Colombia. I forgot about the V/B thing.

Anyway, hopefully we can get back to the main subject.

• Options
    BigshizzaBigshizza Posts: 15,645 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jliu said:
    so if I say "i really enjoyed this lee gay ro in this pah dill ah sea gar" that sound right? 
    Ughh geez who let him in?