Home Non Cigar Related
Options

Stress coping mechanisms?

RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
Man I could sure use some. This trip as Captain has got me wore to my core. Seems every day brings something new for me to worry myself with endlessly till I've got headaches and can't seem to even turn it off to sleep.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    This probably sounds stupid based on your post, your responsibilities, and your job but for a lot of things I think of it like this:

Will anyone remember "this" in 6 months? How about a year? How about 10 years? How about 50 years?

99.9999% of the time it's a No. So who cares?

Granted, your line of work is different than mine and you have much more to deal with than me.
  • Options
    CigarPunkCigarPunk Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    If you look at each event as a learning opportunity and not another thing to worry about it will help you level out. When something happens after it is over say out loud or to yourself. Wow if that ever happens again I know exactly what to do. Sounds stupid but works. 
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2016
    When we get big storms and everything is going to hell and everyone is scrambling around, I always tell them that unless someone is going to get hurt, don't panic and don't lose control.
    Once you lose control, then you make mistakes.
    Clear head, precise movements.

One storm, we had several vehicles crushed under giant spruce trees.
    In the middle of dealing with it, emergency personel and managers were trying to bark orders.
    I asked them what their jobs were and when they told me, I told them to go do their jobs and since this is my job and I'm the expert in this situation, go away.
    I make sure each person I am dealing with in these situations knows what their job is and what I expect. If they think they can't deal with that task, I put them on a different task. Because if one link is weak, the entire chain fails. In hurrican force storms, I cannot risk it.
    Then there are times, when you shut it all down, if it gets too risky.
    Equipment is replaceable. People are not.

Keep command and don't let the morons try and take you off course..
    Focus on the now and deal with each thing as it comes.

Probably not much of a help.
    As for the sleep thing, I'm the worst person in the world to offer suggestions for that. LOL!

One thought I had to add as an edit:

This is phrase is included in many Native American prayers.
    Salish, which I am, Lakota, Souix and a host of others, that I often think about.
    "I seek strength, not to be superior to my brother,
    but to fight my greatest enemy - myself."
    Post edited by 0patience on
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "a day at a time" comes to mind.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stress isn't always bad, but too much stress is always bad.  I think you've had TOO much stress in the last couple years.  I don't have an answer for you, but I think this stress is the place to start looking. 
    WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not much help here, someone much wiser than I once told me 'don't sweat the small stuff' and in light of everything else you've been dealing with it's all small stuff.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hard as it is, try not to take work home with you, unless your work is truly your passion. Which if it were, you wouldn't have any issues with stress ;)

Also take time every morning to prioritize your day. If something new comes up, assign it a priority and fit it into the proper place. Every thing that comes up is not always the most important thing at hand.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,171 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been dealing with PTSD for a long time now. i find that regular exercise really helps with stress.
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's gotten better. I just had to realize that the main thing is to keep my guys safe. If the office gives me **** orders all I can do is my best and if that's not good enough they are welcome to put someone else on this run.