Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Sol Cubano Series B Maduro

First I would like to lead off with this is my first review and I apologize if I am off on a few things. I got to spend some time in my smokers lounge aka the garage today and picked out the Sol Cubano Series B Maduro I recieved a few days ago. I will start with the look and feel. It had a nice Maduro wrapper with a few veins but not enough to stand out. It had a ok feel. When I pinched a few spots it felt soft or loose. It had a very nice pre-light aroma but again the pre-light draw seemed loose and light. Once I lit it the flavor was nice but subtle. It took about 1/4 for me to get a better idea of the flavors I was getting. It did have a nice coffee taste that I expected by reading the discription when I ordered it but I did notice a bit of a leathery undertone after I got about 1/3 of the way down. By the time I got between 1/2 and 2/3 of the way done the draw was starting to get pretty hot. The main issue I had with this cigar was the burn. I couldnt keep this stick with an even burn if you paid me. At one point it looked like I was getting a nice even burn until I turned it over and looked at the other side, the wrapper had burned down and under itself leaving a bit of unburned wrapper in the ash. The ash wasnt bad, nice white and suprisingly strong, I got about 2 inches before knocking it down, but one thing I noticed that I am not too sure about was a verticle crack. It was just on one side of the ash and I didnt see anything in the wrapper that would have caused the ash to have what almost looked like a canyon indent that measured about 1 1/2 inches long and it was about mid stick. I dont know if that tells you something about the cigar or not but it was something I havent seen before. I hope that I am way off on this and just got a bad stick because overall I enjoyed the flavors but the problems with the burn and the fact that the draw was so light I would have to draw 2 or 3 times to get a good draw would turn me off to this cigar in the future. But then again what do you expect from a cigar at that price. Like I said this was my first review, any pointers on things I am leaving out or things that I am just plain wrong on please let me know so I can make sure not to make a idiot of myself twice with the same thing.

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    Dustin1981:
    First I would like to lead off with this is my first review and I apologize if I am off on a few things. I got to spend some time in my smokers lounge aka the garage today and picked out the Sol Cubano Series B Maduro I recieved a few days ago. I will start with the look and feel. It had a nice Maduro wrapper with a few veins but not enough to stand out. It had a ok feel. When I pinched a few spots it felt soft or loose. It had a very nice pre-light aroma but again the pre-light draw seemed loose and light. Once I lit it the flavor was nice but subtle. It took about 1/4 for me to get a better idea of the flavors I was getting. It did have a nice coffee taste that I expected by reading the discription when I ordered it but I did notice a bit of a leathery undertone after I got about 1/3 of the way down. By the time I got between 1/2 and 2/3 of the way done the draw was starting to get pretty hot. The main issue I had with this cigar was the burn. I couldnt keep this stick with an even burn if you paid me. At one point it looked like I was getting a nice even burn until I turned it over and looked at the other side, the wrapper had burned down and under itself leaving a bit of unburned wrapper in the ash. The ash wasnt bad, nice white and suprisingly strong, I got about 2 inches before knocking it down, but one thing I noticed that I am not too sure about was a verticle crack. It was just on one side of the ash and I didnt see anything in the wrapper that would have caused the ash to have what almost looked like a canyon indent that measured about 1 1/2 inches long and it was about mid stick. I dont know if that tells you something about the cigar or not but it was something I havent seen before. I hope that I am way off on this and just got a bad stick because overall I enjoyed the flavors but the problems with the burn and the fact that the draw was so light I would have to draw 2 or 3 times to get a good draw would turn me off to this cigar in the future. But then again what do you expect from a cigar at that price. Like I said this was my first review, any pointers on things I am leaving out or things that I am just plain wrong on please let me know so I can make sure not to make a idiot of myself twice with the same thing.

Nice review Dustin. I like these sticks quite a lot. I also like them in the Habano and Sumatra wrappers. All are similar flavor profiles. I have come across a few like the one you exerienced over several boxes but that is about as bad as you would experience,
    It can be frustrating while smoking one, but the taste and price point more then makes up for the occasional poor stick. IMO
  • Options
    Dustin1981Dustin1981 Posts: 412
    Well I am glad that it looks like I got a fluke stick. I did enjoy the cigar and would like to try it again. You are right and at that price I am willing to put up with the occasional bad stick.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    I think it must have been a fluke stick you got. I've had the Series B in the habano wrapper and it didn't have any construction issues. Personally, the flavors weren't to my liking but the stick was made very well. To me it tasted mostly like tobacco without any other prominent flavors. If you like the flavors this is a great stick at an amazing price, I wouldn't hesitate to get some more.