Home General Discussion
Options

What does everyone's ladies think about cigars?

Hey everyone I thought that given it's valentine's day weekend I would see what everyone's girlfriends or wives or whomever thinks about their cigar smoking hobby/obsession haha... My gf and I hung out yesterday and we exchanged gifts and she told me she tired to find me a super premium cigar to age so that it would remind me of her, which I thought was really cool of her, but sadly she couldnt find one :(. I just recently told her about my cigar hobby and she actually supports it. Is it the same for you guys?

Comments

• Options
    clearlysuspectclearlysuspect Posts: 2,124 ✭✭✭✭
    No. My wife hates it. She doesn't know that I'd trade her in for a box of God of Fires though. LOL just kidding.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Good question. My wife will smoke a cigar with me every now and then but she cant find a stick that she really likes. The closest one is the Tabak. I do sometimes get the old eye roll when a package comes to the door.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    Boy I know how that goes... I've gotten the eye roll before when I first told her about it, but with some of these daily deals they are hard to resist!
  • Options
    taddowtaddow Posts: 51
    My fiance doesn't like it all. Despite what I tell her, she believes that its the same as smoking cigarettes (which I have never done in my life). It hasn't caused much dissention yet- only a few thoughts discussions of concerns which I can't really be upset with her for.
  • Options
    ScottTDawgScottTDawg Posts: 206 ✭✭
    My wife tolerates my interest and enthusiasm. She doesn't like the aromas so far. That may change in the summer when I'll be able to partake in some sticks outside that have been resting in my humidor. Maybe she thinks it's a phase I'm going through...maybe I can get her to try one and see for herself.
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    No. My wife hates it. She doesn't know that I'd trade her in for a box of God of Fires though. LOL just kidding.

funny stuff - my wife inquired just now as to why I was laughing to hard - cheers

• Options
    I generally don't smoke in front of her - that is usually my time so i make sure no one is around to bother me. I used to smoke cigarettes, and I quit on account of our daughter being born. I suppose then she really doesn't have to much of a say in it - I don't usually smoke at the house - certainly not in the house. She supports it - but does give me the occasional eye roll when a shipment comes in.

My wife and I support each other's hobbies as long as it makes the other person happy - but at the same time doesn't destroy the happiness of others around us. (Meaning she can't spend all of my money and I can't smoke in the house...lol) Now as far as cigars vs. cigarettes - that discussion, we can save for another day.

congrats on the gf supporting your hobby! Sounds like a keeper, in my experience, there aren't many female cigar smokers

• Options
    KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    Great question. Mine is funny. If its Winter time and I'm whining 'cause I don't want to open the Garage door; She hates it.. If it's during nice weather and I'm outside, she'll actually let me know if she likes the aroma or not. It doesn't bother her. If we're with her Father (who smokes cigars too); she'll take a puff to be funny. If we're up at the family lake house; I can do whatever I want. Smoke inside or outside.. Oh yeah. I get an occasional eye roll too (she'll get over it).
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    my wife hates yet respects them.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    my wife doesn't mind because my mother in law doesn't mind and my father in law and i usually smoke together on the weekends. very rarely will i go and smoke one by myself with her home during the week. it's how i moderate in order to keep her mellow. if it took away from "our time" then it would be a problem. she actually wants me to be a rep as well
  • Options
    One2gofstOne2gofst Posts: 583
    My girlfriend likes the smell and is glad I no longer smoke cigarettes. She will try mine sometimes, but she isn't a cigar smoker.
  • Options
    My gf likes cigars and joins me when I have a smoke. She generally likes mild cigars that don't make her light headed, but I'm lucky that she not only tolerates my hobby, but she also partakes!
  • Options
    bass8844bass8844 Posts: 416
    I guess I'm kind of lucky...my girl tells me that she thinks its sexy when she see's me smoke! The only few things that she doesn't like is:

1) The money I've spent on cigars and accessories could have bought quite a nice engagement ring
    2) if I blow smoke directly into her face
    3) and finally, last but not least, she says my room looks like a messy cigar shop! (but I'll take that one as a compliment)
  • Options
    Stryker808Stryker808 Posts: 269
    I got lucky. My wife enjoys cigars with me weekly. She enjoys primarily lighter cigars, CAO Gold, Casa Fuentes, La Aurora 1495s, RyJs.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    My wife utterly can't stand my cigars or cigar smoke. Just yesterday I was smoking a nub cameroon in my garage and she had to come down there to get to the freezer, she was holding her nose and rolling her eyes. Oh well, she came down there, not my problem. She might hate everything about cigars, but she did let my buy those Padron Family Reserves.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    She hates the smell, but actually supports my hobby too.
  • Options
    Poker_SlobPoker_Slob Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mrs. Slob is very good about my cigar smoking, and more importantly, my cigar buying. She went to the B&M with me yesterday. I am a very lucky man to have her.
  • Options
    SaVasSaVas Posts: 250
    My gf doesn't mind my smoking cigars at all. As a matter of fact, she buys me gift certificates to online cigar sites, and goes to the local B&M and picks me up a few sticks she thinks I might like. I smoke them in the house, and she doesn't care. It helps that I pay all the bills, but seriously she likes the aroma of a good cigar.
  • Options
    I say strong disllike, she says hates....was bold enought to tell me if I had smoke cigars 28 yrs ago she would not have married me.....if I only knew then what I know now....have 2 sons and we enjoy our fire side chats w/out her...try not to smoke around here....she usually stays inside...really like it when she goes to the gym,shopping, groc store, her mothers....I think you get the picture now.....only average about 1-2 smokes a wk now...looking forward to spring and summer....old man winter has been a pain in the a$$ for us in oklahoma....
  • Options
    YankeeManYankeeMan Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From what I'm reading here, I guess I am very lucky too. My wife, who is an ex-smoker with asthma, does not mind my smoking outside at all. Many times during the summer, she will sit out on the patio with me while I smoke. Obviously, I don't smoke in the house so she doesn't have any breathing problems.

She actually buys me cigars and last Father's day, she went with my younger son to my local B & M to buy me some cigars that I am usually too cheap to buy myself. When we went to Myrtle Beach last year and when we go back in March, we will go to the Blarney Stone cigar bar and have a drink and cigar. The vents are so good there that the smoke doesn't cause her any problems.

That's why cops are serial marriers, we keep doing it until we get it right. This time I did!
  • Options
    LukoLuko Posts: 2,003 ✭✭
    Mine is generally support but **** about the smoke when I'm outside having one and our girls are around...I just tell her to go ahead on move on along. But she buys me cigars when she's on trips...has picked up GoF, Opus X and davidoffs in the past.
  • Options
    jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife is 100% cool with it until I start smoking many days consecutively. She enjoys trying them and has a few she likes. She is always finding me good deals on the internet for cigars and occasionally makes a purchase for me. Just bought me a 300 count end table humidor for our Anniversary/Valentine's Day. Totally supports me finding a career in the cigar industry. All in all I think I am lucky and she is awesome!
  • Options
    clearlysuspect:
    No. My wife hates it. I'd trade her in for a box of God of Fires though.
    I said somethin along those lines to my girlfriend last week. Now I'm single :) not because of that though, I just caught her with my friend. Cheatin *** haha
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Well my woman absolutely detests that I smoke cigars (and now a pipe), but she's supportive of my hobby. She's the one that bought my 300ct for my birthday, and she's pointed out cool deals or new b&ms to me before. Hell, she even let me smoke my pipe in the car today while we were headed to the snow - that was a BIG change of pace..
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    cooch36cooch36 Posts: 714 ✭✭
    my girlfriend is real cool i took her to a gar bar last yr. she bought a humi and sampler for x-mas tells me she likes the smell and i can smoke in the house neither of us smoke cigs. she supports my hobby but now is concerned that for the last two months we've been getting deliverys every three days so many deals!!!!! so many deals!!!! I now have 170 sticks I use to smoke one every two months now every other day. i am going to slow down now.
  • Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    It's kind of coincidence that this thread is up here....... My wife and I just had a discussion about my "hobby" the other day. I felt like I was hiding stuff about it from here and felt very guilty about it. I keep my humidor at work and only smoke when she's not around. I told her that I don't want her to think that I'm hiding anything from her and I'd like to bring my humidor home and involve her more in my hobby. She was actually pretty cool about it. She understands that, while it's not the most health-conscious hobby, at least it's not sky-diving. Plus she likes the "male-bonding" factor with my father-in-law. Who knows? Maybe she'll enjoy one with me on the balcony this summer.......... naaaah, probably not!
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    It's great to hear so many of you guys that have had positive experiences in this subject. Although a few of our gfs/wives hate the hobby, but still support us having a hobby. I consider myself, like many of you guys, very lucky to have a beautiful woman who supports me and loves me for who I am
  • Options
    my mother insists that i am gonna get cancer and that they are WORSE than cigarettes. anyone know how i can convince her otherwise? she is very stubborn haha.
  • Options
    Although I'm not a doctor, I would say that cigars aren't worse than cigarettes. Although there is much more tobacco in 1 cigar than a few cigarettes, cigar smokers do not inhale the cigar smoke, whereas cigarette smokers do. Cigars, IMO, are also not as addictive as cigarettes. That's just my 2 cents though, hope I helped!
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    clearlysuspect:
    LOL. I'm heading to Vegas Saturday and will visit Casa Fuente. Lets see a pic before I buy a box! JK

My wife is cool with the hobby. She has a small humi I got her for Xmas. She smokes the flavored ones along with the Acid line from every now and then.