Home Non Cigar Related

I'm Moving!!!

Well I figured it's time to let the cat outta the bag here on the forums, I'm leaving Commiefornia and going to Texas for a job. I'll be landing in Texas some time in August or Sept and I'll be living in Denton, Texas; it's looks like I'll have to put in some fishing and cigar smoking on the weekends, oh darn.

A few questions for the Texas BOTL's:
1. Is there any good B&M's in either Denton, Dallas or Fort Worth?
2. Any authentic mexican food places that I need to try, preferably a hole in the wall and with a name that ends in -erto's (Roberto's, Alberto's, Rigoberto's?)
3. Any other food that I'll need to make a pilgrimage to try?
4. Is there enough guys in that area to get a Texas Herf going some time in the fall?

Comments

• TumblerTumbler Posts: 338 ✭✭
    Congrats Garen B! Don't have the answer to any of your questions, but the cost of living might be a little more to your liking. :)
  • ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
    I'm not sure when you will be 21 but there are TWO flying saucers in Dallas! That is by far the best beer joint I have ever been to. I went to one in Austin, one in San Antonio and the one here in Raleigh, NC. They are all amazing and I go to the one here all the time. Definitely check them out when you can...
  • cabinetmakercabinetmaker Posts: 2,560 ✭✭
    Garen B:
    Well I figured it's time to let the cat outta the bag here on the forums, I'm leaving Commiefornia and going to Texas for a job. I'll be landing in Texas some time in August or Sept and I'll be living in Denton, Texas; it's looks like I'll have to put in some fishing and cigar smoking on the weekends, oh darn.

A few questions for the Texas BOTL's:
    1. Is there any good B&M's in either Denton, Dallas or Fort Worth?
    2. Any authentic mexican food places that I need to try, preferably a hole in the wall and with a name that ends in -erto's (Roberto's, Alberto's, Rigoberto's?)
    3. Any other food that I'll need to make a pilgrimage to try?
    4. Is there enough guys in that area to get a Texas Herf going some time in the fall?
    1) yes, plenty.
    2) Pulidos
    3) There is a bbq shack in Stephenville that is to die for.
    4) count me in!
    And welcome to Texas! (its like a whole other country)
    cabinetmaker:
    I love that about Texas! I can not wait to move there after my time in the Army is done...
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    Garen that is awesome man! Congrats on the job and I love Texas....Cabi's def. right it is like a whole nuther cuntry. I lived there for a couple years while on active duty and loved it. While I do have family that lives not to far from where you will be I don't have any clue on B&Ms or Messican food.

There is an Italian rest. near or in Frisco that is family ran and owned. Can't think of the name right now but I will ask and get back to you. BBQ spot you gotta check out is Salt Lick. They have 3 locations in or around Austin Tx. I'm not sure if you watch the Travel Channel but Man vs. Food did a spot on Salt Lick and a few other places in Tx. They were all great (been to most of them) and I would def. recommend checking them out. Sorry I don't remember how to put in links & feeling kinda lazy to look them up right now.....but check out Man vs. food clips on youtube or travel channel. Just like Cali there are a million & 1 different places to eat. Why did I move back to Michigan?
  • jsnakejsnake Posts: 5,979 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I want to move to Texas. I was almost a Bexar County Sheriff's Deputy and/or Corpus Christi Police Officer. I tested and placed high at both. Ended up staying in Missouri. I sure love Texas though. Good luck with the move. I hope you find a great job and everything goes smoothly. Lucky for you it looks like you have some BOTL to herf with already.
  • pnaylonpnaylon Posts: 214
    If you're down south in Galveston, shoot me a message I know the area pretty well been here a few years!

• txjayhawktxjayhawk Posts: 311
    Welcome to the state! My girlfriends sister did her graduate work at North Texas...I will ask her for some good places to eat at (Rudy's for BBQ use to stop there on my way to Kansas). And who's ever decision it was to move here in August needs a timeout. Hit me up if your going to be in Houston. Tons of hole in the wall mexican joints around here.
  • zeebrazeebra Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭
    txjayhawk:
    Welcome to the state! My girlfriends sister did her graduate work at North Texas...I will ask her for some good places to eat at (Rudy's for BBQ use to stop there on my way to Kansas). And who's ever decision it was to move here in August needs a timeout. Hit me up if your going to be in Houston. Tons of hole in the wall mexican joints around here.
    Rudys is great man! But I will confess. I have purchased the bbq sauce from Salt Lick in Austin and I buy the beef brisket sandwiches from Rudy and I grub down! Not a huge fan of the sauce rudy's has so I have to mix and match. Their cream corn is freakin amazing as well. Daymn I'm craving that now!!!

Texas is great man. I'm down here in the Houston area and been here since I was 7 years old. Now I'm 29. Food is great, cost of living is less. Mexican food is a plenty. Def. go out to BBQ joints as well man.

Oh....we dont have In N Out here!
    Welcome to TEXAS Garen!
    zeebra:
    Texas is great man. I'm down here in the Houston area and been here since I was 7 years old. Now I'm 29. Food is great, cost of living is less. Mexican food is a plenty. Def. go out to BBQ joints as well man.

Welcome to TEXAS Garen!
    Thats correct...but we do have Whataburger!!!!! damn I love that place!
  • Sandman1amSandman1am Posts: 2,567
    txjayhawk:
    zeebra:

Welcome to TEXAS Garen!
    Well I would say be greatful that you have BBQ, messican joints, and Whataburgers. Hard to come by any great BBQ, messican joints in Michigan. We don't have Whataburgers, In n Outs, no Tommys burgers, Chick fila, and Sonics are just coming into the south part of our state. Don't even get me started on how I have to drive to damn near Tenn to get to a Waffle House.

But hey if you like being out doors and near fresh water...hunt, fish, camp etc. Michigan is the place for you. Sadly I don't like doing much of that.
    zeebra:
    txjayhawk:
    Rudys is great man! But I will confess. I have purchased the bbq sauce from Salt Lick in Austin and I buy the beef brisket sandwiches from Rudy and I grub down! Not a huge fan of the sauce rudy's has so I have to mix and match. Their cream corn is freakin amazing as well. Daymn I'm craving that now!!!

My father opened up the Rudy's on the west side of El Paso and the one in Laredo. I LOVE that place!! If you ever find yourself in Laredo (don't go unless you have to...) let me know and I will hook you up...
    txjayhawk:
    zeebra:

Welcome to TEXAS Garen!
    Whataburger is good. But In N Out is better imo. Have you tried Five Guys yet? They just started poppin them open here in Houston past few months. Great burger joint from up north, I think around Ohio, Pittsburgh area.
    ejenne87:
    zeebra:
    txjayhawk:

My father opened up the Rudy's on the west side of El Paso and the one in Laredo. I LOVE that place!! If you ever find yourself in Laredo (don't go unless you have to...) let me know and I will hook you up...
    Nice!
  • stephen_hannibalstephen_hannibal Posts: 4,317
    Man Texas is a great nation... lol.

I wish you the best.

• I don't live in Dallas, but have visited there a couple of times. I always look for B & M's to check out. Try Cigar SHop and More at 4285 Belt Line Road, Addison, TX? - (972) 661-9136? It was close to my hotel and the people in the shop were great!. I stopped in and bought a few sticks and would smoke them in their lounge with their regulars. Great time and great conversations... They were really good people.
    zeebra:
    txjayhawk:
    zeebra:

Welcome to TEXAS Garen!
    Whataburger is good. But In N Out is better imo. Have you tried Five Guys yet? They just started poppin them open here in Houston past few months. Great burger joint from up north, I think around Ohio, Pittsburgh area.
    5 guys is pretty good. There is one pretty close to where I live...fries are damn good!
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    cabinetmaker:
    I lived there for 2 years and thought it was more like a whole other planet -- one that's very close to the sun.
  • fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    Nice move, if I couldn't live in North Florida, Texas would be my next choice.
  • Garen BGaren B Posts: 977
    Thanks guys, it sounds like we might have enough to at least do a mini-herf somewhere in Dallas or Fort Worth. And I'm gonna have to start taking antacids right now in preparation for all those bbq places you guys suggested.
    It does get kinda warm in the summer. I remember a few weeks back in 2006 where it was hitting 108 in my shop every day. It would get so bad my cast iron machine surfaces would burn me when I touched them. I started shifting my hours to 4am - 10am.
  • urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    The second year I lived there, it hit 100 degrees in the middle of *$&! February.
    urbino:
    The second year I lived there, it hit 100 degrees in the middle of *$&! February.
    Welcome to Texas!
  • Joeyjoe21_8Joeyjoe21_8 Posts: 2,048
    dam im jealous..i cant wait to move totexas in the next year or so!
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    Sandman1am:
    txjayhawk:
    zeebra:

Welcome to TEXAS Garen!
    Well I would say be greatful that you have BBQ, messican joints, and Whataburgers. Hard to come by any great BBQ, messican joints in Michigan. We don't have Whataburgers, In n Outs, no Tommys burgers, Chick fila, and Sonics are just coming into the south part of our state. Don't even get me started on how I have to drive to damn near Tenn to get to a Waffle House.

But hey if you like being out doors and near fresh water...hunt, fish, camp etc. Michigan is the place for you. Sadly I don't like doing much of that.
    Man, I'm in the same boat. I moved from Memphis, TN to Boston. No Mexican, Whataburger, Chick-fil-a, Backyard Burger, Sonic, Waffle House, IHOP, BBQ, nothing!!! All they eat up here is seafood and pizza. It's f'n ridiculous.
  • cholmes8310cholmes8310 Posts: 1,585
    zeebra:
    txjayhawk:
    zeebra:

Welcome to TEXAS Garen!
    Whataburger is better burger, Five Guys has the better fries. God I miss whataburger. Used to go there every night after a binge and get three breakfast burritos with everything (egg, bacon, sausage, and potatoes). Kill those, pass out, wake up with no hangover.
  • PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    Hey Garen, just shoot me a PM and I'll hook you up. If you live in Denton you will only be about 15-20 minutes from me and I live right by the best B&M in the Dallas Ft. Worth area. It was mentioned on this page actually. It's Cigar Shop and More in Addison, TX. I know the owner Kent and all the guys that work there. Great people and an awesome selection. Plus the owner is friends with Pete Johnson and even got him to make a house blend Tat just for that store. Several of the guys around here have tried them and can vouch for them. Welcome to TX bro! If you need anything at all just drop me a line. I'm here to help out a BOTL anyway I can.