Home General Discussion
Options

how did yall get into it?

roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
I have never smoked anything before and am learning all I can about cigars. I was wondering how yall got into smoking.
One God, One Truth

Comments

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Camping, and been into it ever since. Thank jeebus for my ex, her dad was cool.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    a friend and i started into cigars while camping too.
  • Options
    GadwinDuilGadwinDuil Posts: 474
    I told a friend of mine "I want to try a cigar" so we got like 10 people together and went out to have cigars. I and one other friend really enjoyed the experience... and viola. The rest of my friends weren't so into it.
  • Options
    xmacroxmacro Posts: 3,402
    Friend gave me some cigars after I stayed at his place for a bit - when I got home, I went out by the pool and lit up . . . and turned green. So I went online, found Ccom's forums and read about how you're not supposed to inhale, that you take in the smoke like you're sucking up water from a straw, about to blow it out.

Anyway, tried a few brands, found a few I liked, and have been trying new ones (while buying a few boxes of what I like) ever since
  • Options
    bsjones7bsjones7 Posts: 15
    Went on a cruise back in 05 with the wife my sis and her husband. My bro in law who is combat rescue in the af shared a few with me on the trip and I've been hooked ever since
  • Options
    firetruckguyfiretruckguy Posts: 2,522 ✭✭✭
    My brother bought me my first cigar in Cancun 2 years ago. It was a hand rolled jobbie from the local dude and had been dipped in vanilla. Still remeber how good the smoke smelled.
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    My friend graduated from AIT and offered me a free cigar so that we could celebrate together. I can't remember the brand, but it was tubed and sweet tipped with a hole in the cap (pre-bullet punched). Thinking about it now, it was probably a cheap house blend cigar, but it still got me hooked. Ahhh...good times.
  • Options
    denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    buddy of mine's father in law had given him a box of Indian Tabac and we started there. then we had some ISOM Cohibas at new years that he stole from the humi and it's been downhill ever since. that was about 9 years ago
  • Options
    rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    I can't remember how but I think I started in 95 or 96. It may have been because this older trombone player I was in a band with smoked.
  • Options
    thedjfish@comcast.netthedjfish@comcast.net Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭
    1993 usmc, graduation,smoked a romeo and julieta,been smoking since, but just in the last 2-3 yrs i been buying online, but before i would go to what ever b & m was open or still around,the onloine buying opened up a whole new diversity of cigars to me,i was at the mercey of the local shops and what they had,
  • Options
    Alex_SvensonAlex_Svenson Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    When I was in high school. We had been reading the book "The Dead Poet Society" and one weekend we were all at a friends house. There were 10 of us having an overnight we raided the humidor of the dad of the kid whos house we were staying at. We snuck out to a picnic table and lit up telling stories and BSing about girls etc. After that first night, we made it a regular thing every saturday (but brought our own sticks from our allowance) and named our group "The Dead Stogie Society". Kind of playing off the title and brotherhood from the book. Some of the group dropped off but four or five of us kept the tradition alive all through high school.
  • Options
    ljlljl Posts: 819
    Went on a trip with some buddies. It was supposed to be a work trip for my buddy's business, but that got boring. We started to make our own fun. Lots of drinking and stogies. That was back in '99. I figured out pretty quick that I liked it, didn't really start into it serious until about 3 years ago.
  • Options
    JumperJumper Posts: 135
    Smoked a tubed Montecristo after my senior prom. I loved it after the first puff. After that night, all I thought about for weeks was smoking cigars.
  • Options
    docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Alex Svenson:
    When I was in high school. We had been reading the book "The Dead Poet Society" and one weekend we were all at a friends house. There were 10 of us having an overnight we raided the humidor of the dad of the kid whos house we were staying at. We snuck out to a picnic table and lit up telling stories and BSing about girls etc. After that first night, we made it a regular thing every saturday (but brought our own sticks from our allowance) and named our group "The Dead Stogie Society". Kind of playing off the title and brotherhood from the book. Some of the group dropped off but four or five of us kept the tradition alive all through high school.
    Great story Alex!

My Dad smoked when I was a kid, and I always would sit out on the porch with him. We lived in Tampa, and every afternoon when the Tropical storms would roll through, we would go sit on the porch and he would light up. I loved the smell, and even as a youngster it was a great bonding experience with the old man.

Then a few months ago they moved, and my dad asked if I wanted his old humidor that hadn't been used in a few years, so I took it, and well I figured why not try a cigar too... and the rest is a downward spiral into nicotine addiction, and a developing palette.
  • Options
    illinoisgolf99illinoisgolf99 Posts: 1,507
    I was down in Ft. Meyers, FL with my 2 buddies and one buddies family for New Years. This is when the University of Illinois (the school I grew up watching, going to games, etc.) went to the Rose Bowl. Anyway, we were walking through downtown and noticed a small cigar store.. I had always been interested in trying one, and my Dad smoked when I was young, so I thought why not. We went in, not knowing anything about cigars, and we both picked up Cusano 18 Paired Maduro churchills. We then proceeded to our beach house and lit up. The smoke, the taste, the aroma, the ambiance and the atmosphere were intoxicating. I was 18, and ever since then I have had an interest in cigars. It was only until last December, 2009 that I decided to dive into this wonderful hobby. I love cigars and I will continue to as long as I live.
  • Options
    Pacman84Pacman84 Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I started in 08 while I was at the fed academy in Georgia. My buddy from PA took me to a local shop and it all took off from there. I've been smoking ever since trying to expand my knowledge. My buddy was the one who actually told me about ccom and I have been giving them my money.
  • Options
    surfingzeekosurfingzeeko Posts: 628
    I used to smoke the wacky tobaccy, and liked rolling blunts. I also smoked cigarettes for about 6 years. I stopped all that, but still had the taste for it. I had smoked a few crappy cigars on camping trips but they were really cheap and tasted like cat piss. I had my first taste of a quality cigar a few months back, and since then I've had the itch.
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    I used to smoke cigars back during high school with a couple of buddies, but one of them passed away and the other moved across the country so I got out of it for about 10 years, then about a year or two ago a buddy of mine gave me a cigar a couple of times, and a 20ct humidor...then a cigar bar opened up in town...from that point on i was hooked.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    lilwing88lilwing88 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭
    I've always been curious about cigars as far back as I can remember. I've smoked them on and off for the past 15 years or so. At weddings or on the golf course, usually. But I always felt intimidated about asking questions. So, one day last fall, I just walked into my local B&M and started asking questions. Then I started going online and found Ccom..... the rest is history.
    Guns don't kill people, Daddies with pretty daughters do…..
  • Options
    t_evan50t_evan50 Posts: 1,725
    Was on vacation in Gatlinburg, TN (complete Tourist Trap if you havent been) and walking around with my brother, watching our wives stop in every tiny shop on the street. Need-less to say we were bored to tears so when I saw a B&M I figured that was one place I could stand to spend some time in. They had a walk-in humi and the guy there was kind enough to help us select some cigars. The rest is history.
  • Options
    sightunseensightunseen Posts: 2,130 ✭✭
    It started off as part of a Scarface viewing party about 7 years ago. From then on, my buddy and I would smoke cigars occasionally. I started really getting into it last year when I found this forum and having been kicking myself for not starting sooner. My buddy and I still smoke cigars and he has also started getting into the hobby as well.
  • Options
    docedwardsdocedwards Posts: 319
    After a long day at the office of solving the world's problems I noticed the light was still on in Monica's office. So I .....
  • Options
    brotheradambrotheradam Posts: 896
    Was together with some friends just over 7 months ago for a weekend of Quad riding and they smoked cigars, so we'd smoke by the campfire at night. 5 Vegas A was the first one they gave me to smoke, I've been hooked ever since.
  • Options
    AdcuriumAdcurium Posts: 179 ✭✭
    Back when I was in college I worked for a high profile type criminal lawyer. He was almost a stereo-type (he was even chaufered around in a huge white caddy). Anyway, he always had a cigar in his mouth and gave cigars to everyone he met or bumped into during the day. He even had his own customized cigar bands on them, which was really cool. The firm was in a huge old victorian home in PA and all employees were able to smoke if they felt like it. Walking in the door, the place smelled like a cigar shop. After meeting with a client and walking them to the reception area he would say to his secretary "Kelly, send Mr. Client a box of my cigars." So, I always had a few with me and I would share them with friends. Then, when I got to law school I met a few people who were also interested in cigars, so we would try different kinds, swap sticks, etc.
  • Options
    The CankThe Cank Posts: 799
    A friend whom I no longer talk with got me started on them by giving me my first Acid Blondie..... AAHHH I will never smoke one of those again !
  • Options
    vegassparkyvegassparky Posts: 365
    Stopped smoking cigerettes 10 plus years ago. had a cigar every time i went around one friend, never clicked with it. probably cheep sticks, he never had money for good ones. Went on a trip with my now wife, One of the associates she deals with offered a trinadad. it blew me away. that was almost three years ago. just got my first humi three months ago. and i cant get enough.
  • Options
    Good friend of mine offered me one while we were on duty in the Army, I asked him where he got them, and got hooked. He's a good man though, even if he peer pressures me into buying a bunch every now and then.
  • Options
    ug danug dan Posts: 375
    In '98 I had my first real job at 18 working out at the mines and a co-worker got me into them. I quit for about 5 yrs and have just gotten back into them.
  • Options
    camgfscamgfs Posts: 968
    Might have been the late 70's for me. Friend of the family had a babby boy and was handing out cigars. I have smoked a cigar every time someone I know has a baby, and also got into the habbit of smoking a cigar to celebrate the life of a friend (or family) when they pass away. Got into cigars more seriously when my wife left me and I found I had too much time on my hands. The rest is history.

• Options
    mrpillowmrpillow Posts: 464
    Two friends and I had just turned 18 and were taking a cross country road trip. We spent two nights in the Luxor in Vegas, went and bought some cigars to smoke as a novelty thing. All three of us got hooked, and we've been smoking buddies for years now.