Home General Discussion
Options

"..........it's too good"

KingoftheCoveKingoftheCove Posts: 937 ✭✭✭
Had my first morning cigar today - Red Dot Cohiba and black Costa Rican coffee.....it was good.....really good.

For a 3 minute story about what I was thinking about during this smoke (non-fiction, and not a cigar review) read on:
=======================

"....it's too good"

I was introduced to cigars in early 1975. I was in my second semester at a large State University in the Bay Area (Calif), and I was living on campus, having moved up from southern California. Vietnam was coming to a close, and I was lucky in that I was young enough to miss the draft. (Some of my friends and their older brothers were not as fortunate.)

My particular dormitory on campus, for some reason, was loaded with football players, other athletes from minor sports (myself included), and Vietnam Vets doing the GI Bill deal.

The smell of marijuana and hash was constantly in the air, and heavy daily drinking, as well as other drug use, was par for the course - normal college stuff for those days I suppose. But when I look back I sort of shudder......WTF was I doing!!??

What added to this strange mix of individuals was the fact that these Vietnam Vets were all in their mid to late 20s, and older, while the rest of us were well under 21.
About 1/2 the vets stayed to themselves, studied, and wrestled their demons, many struggling with the transition from active service, to living with a bunch of teenage idiots.
The other 1/2 of the Vets were raging partiers themselves.....I mean RAGING partiers, and were simply there to use the GI Bill, get a degree, and have a blast doing it.

It was one of these "partying Vets" who introduced me to stogies. He was a medic, who had been introduced to stogies by some other Vets in Germany, where he stayed for a while before coming stateside. The medic and I became pretty good friends.
He never talked much about his experiences, which I knew were pretty bad from what some of the other Vets told me.

Most of my college days are sort of a "blur" for me now, but one moment in time I'll never forget.
It was a year later, Memorial day weekend, we had all been living off campus for a long while by this time. The country was already gearing up for the Bicentennial.
The medic and I were quite stoned, hanging out on his porch smoking stogies. "Dark Side of the Moon" was playing on his ass-kicking stereo, and he looked me straight in the eye, and in a dead serious tone, said:
"Don't ever try heroin..............it's too good."

Well, I'm 55, and just finished my first "morning" cigar ever in my life.
Sitting there smoking and relaxing on my porch, the birds were chirping away, the sun still hidden behind the trees........ that cigar was really good................too good.

I should have listened to the medic..................a morning stogie is probably like heroin.
It's going to be next to impossible not to have a morning smoke again.......soon.

Epilog
I did take the medic's advice, in fact, I quit all drugs by 1979 (except alcohol and tobacco that is.)

Comments

• Options
    HeavyHeavy Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭
    Man, that is a great story! Thanks for sharing that.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Heavy:

+1
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    fla-gypsyfla-gypsy Posts: 3,023 ✭✭
    roland_7707:
    Heavy:

+1
    +2 At 54 years of age I can relate
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    there are some cigars out there that are just so good that i want to hunt down the guy that blended the, and do one of two things:
    1) shake their hand and give them a hug for producing something that brought me that much joy
    B) kill them because something that amazing has now tipped the world out of balance and the only thing i can do to bring it back is to make sure it never happens again.

just know now, that you have fallen down the rabbit hole.
    you can never go back

• Options
    wwesternwwestern Posts: 1,397 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    there are some cigars out there that are just so good that i want to hunt down the guy that blended the, and do one of two things:
    1) shake their hand and give them a hug for producing something that brought me that much joy
    B) kill them because something that amazing has now tipped the world out of balance and the only thing i can do to bring it back is to make sure it never happens again.

you can never go back

why oh why did I take the red pill?!
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    wwestern:
    kuzi16:

you can never go back

why oh why did I take the red pill?!
    wow... three great references in two posts.
    this is gunna be a good forum night.