Home General Discussion
Options

Can't get my new Humidor to the proper humidity

2»

Comments

• Options
    laker1963laker1963 Posts: 5,046
    kevster77:
    just the humidifier that came with the humidor.
    You may need to add distilled water or 80/20 solution if you have it. Your humidifier may be dried out. Also, if you don't have anything else, and humi space is not an issue you can use the Humi pillows that come in C.Com orders.
    Using a couple of these pillows one with more charge then the other has worked very well for me. I keep my humi at around 67% and the pillows help to dial it in at that level, I love it.
    You do know that the humidifier can be removed from the Humidor for recharging it right? Just wipe it off after you re-charge it so it doesn't drip water onto your sticks when you replace it in the Humi.
    Whatever you decide to try...let us know how it works out for you
  • Options
    urbinourbino Posts: 4,517
    However, if you do put Humi-Pillows in your humidor, make you put them in an upright ziploc bag (an open one, obviously). They have a tendency to rupture.
  • Options
    zoom6zoomzoom6zoom Posts: 1,214
    I don't know zoom... 60 seems a little low to me. At 65 I start to fret.

It was a rough day, I meant to type 65.... that's the level of the beads I'm using. But it seems to hang a bit lower in the winter time. Sticks are smoking great, though, and that's the final benchmark.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    Don't take this as an insult or anythign just want to be sure here. You did "charge" the humidifier, correct? By charge I mean some form of pouring, dunking or misting of water on the humidifier.
    yeah idid it all dipped it in distilled water wiped the humidor down, i'm just curious when the % drops do i just dip the humidifier again in distilled water? I know it sounds like i don't know what i'm doing but i'm new to this and want to make sure i get the best out of my smokes.
  • Options
    kardar2kardar2 Posts: 43
    kevster77:
    madurofan:
    Don't take this as an insult or anythign just want to be sure here. You did "charge" the humidifier, correct? By charge I mean some form of pouring, dunking or misting of water on the humidifier.
    yeah idid it all dipped it in distilled water wiped the humidor down, i'm just curious when the % drops do i just dip the humidifier again in distilled water? I know it sounds like i don't know what i'm doing but i'm new to this and want to make sure i get the best out of my smokes.
    Yeah about once a month you will have to recharge the sponge be sure to use 50/50 about every other month cause if you use only distilled water you can get mold. The alcohol in the 50/50 solution prevents mold.
  • Options
    kardar2:
    kevster77:
    madurofan:
    Yeah about once a month you will have to recharge the sponge be sure to use 50/50 about every other month cause if you use only distilled water you can get mold. The alcohol in the 50/50 solution prevents mold.
    i can get the 50/50 solution anywhere or only in cigar shops? thanks for the help by the way.
  • Options
    kardar2kardar2 Posts: 43
    kevster77:
    kardar2:
    kevster77:
    madurofan:
    i can get the 50/50 solution anywhere or only in cigar shops? thanks for the help by the way.
    You will only be able to the 50/50 solution at a cigar shop or online
  • Options
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:
    i have heard that in many places in europe humidors are kept at 55-60. im not sure on how true that is but i dont panic unless its below 60%. I watch it enough that it usually get caught at 64% ( i keep at 65)
    I believe that's true, but remember to convert from metric percentages to standard percentages ;)
    but they dont serve or drink cold beer either!!!! doubt i would want their advice on cigars lol
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    mustluvcigars:
    dutyje:
    kuzi16:
    i have heard that in many places in europe humidors are kept at 55-60. im not sure on how true that is but i dont panic unless its below 60%. I watch it enough that it usually get caught at 64% ( i keep at 65)
    I believe that's true, but remember to convert from metric percentages to standard percentages ;)
    but they dont serve or drink cold beer either!!!! doubt i would want their advice on cigars lol
    HA! Well while that is true, two things immediately come to mind. Their beer is designed to be served room temp, except Guinness which is served ice cold. Second, their room temp is about 10 degrees less than ours, around 60 - 65 is what they consider a comfortable room temperature so don't think they serve their beers at 72 or anything.
  • Options
    madurofanmadurofan Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭
    kevster77:
    kardar2:
    kevster77:
    madurofan:
    Two things kev. First aside from wiping down the interior did you season the humi and if so how? Second take a look at the beads (www.heartfeltindustries.com) or Xikar gel jars over the sponge humidifier you are currently using. That sponge will work you to death, never maintain a good consistent RH and will likely end up moldy. The gels and beads are a better option. If you don't mind spending $100, the Cigar Oasis, however, is the best option.
  • Options
    madurofan:
    kevster77:
    kardar2:
    kevster77:
    madurofan:
    Two things kev. First aside from wiping down the interior did you season the humi and if so how? Second take a look at the beads (www.heartfeltindustries.com) or Xikar gel jars over the sponge humidifier you are currently using. That sponge will work you to death, never maintain a good consistent RH and will likely end up moldy. The gels and beads are a better option. If you don't mind spending $100, the Cigar Oasis, however, is the best option.
    i did wipe it down but i don't know about the season the humi what do i need to do? i keep reading about the beads though which seems to be a favorite for most people, gonna look into that and see how it works for me.