Home Cigar 101
Options

B&M Etiquette

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
One place I go to now and then. I buy 2-3 beers and 1-2 over priced (20-40% more than other B&M's) cigars every time to take home. I also bring 2-3 to smoke for me and a bud. Is it bad form to bring my own? I feel I'm good to go since I'm giving money two ways but curious on consensus of te more educated cigar smoker.

Comments

• Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    My cigar bar is same way. They let u bring your own sticks but I also try and buy a stick along with some beers to help support my local shop. Most of my buying is done online.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    Krieg:
    My cigar bar is same way. They let u bring your own sticks but I also try and buy a stick along with some beers to help support my local shop. Most of my buying is done online.
    Exactly the same here. Unless you are confronted by management or someone I think you are ok...never hurts to ask the cigar shop owner and it gives you a good chance to get to know him and talk shop as well!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,917
    Well, I do chat the owner and he called me an internet guy,lol. He thinks Diesels suck so we debate back and forth. Either way, he sees my 5 count case so I'm not hiding nor asking.
  • Options
    Shaun.Harrison87Shaun.Harrison87 Posts: 1,971
    james40:
    Well, I do chat the owner and he called me an internet guy,lol. He thinks Diesels suck so we debate back and forth. Either way, he sees my 5 count case so I'm not hiding nor asking.
    HAHA! No worries then!
  • Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    I always buy 1 cigar, then light mine. They never know. I'll bring theirs back to my humi and smoke it later, after I know it is well rested and properly humidified. If it says "Cigar Bar", buy one for goodness sake. It gives you the privilege of smoking "inside", in comfort, with a libation. Those places are disappearing fast, gentlemen. Although we all buy our bulk online, it is important to keep the B&Ms and Cigar Bars in business. JMO
  • Options
    RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    beatnic:
    I always buy 1 cigar, then light mine. They never know. I'll bring theirs back to my humi and smoke it later, after I know it is well rested and properly humidified. If it says "Cigar Bar", buy one for goodness sake. It gives you the privilege of smoking "inside", in comfort, with a libation. Those places are disappearing fast, gentlemen. Although we all buy our bulk online, it is important to keep the B&Ms and Cigar Bars in business. JMO
    Yup I wish we had such a thing here but we have a smoking ban, so consider yourself lucky and support them a little.
  • Options
    deejmemixxdeejmemixx Posts: 3,084 ✭✭
    I wish I had an option like that, there is a cigar club per say here, where u pay 400 bucks to use it 24 hours a day. They say you can sit in the lobby if you want but I feel like I am cheating them even though i buy the stick I smoke there.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    some get testy about things like bringing in your own stuff...
    most dont have a problem with it as long as you also buy something there.
  • Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    Shaun.Harrison87:
    james40:
    HAHA! No worries then!
    I'm glad i'm an internet guy! Then I don't have to pay retail, or above retail, and then taxes on top of all that.
  • Options
    asianbiker8asianbiker8 Posts: 551
    Mostly I go into my shop for convenience, or if i'm in the area, and good customer service. And i'm all for supporting the local shops, but I would go seriously broke if I paid what they wanted every time I wanted a cigar.
  • Options
    jr_p951jr_p951 Posts: 1,121
    I think your routine is good. Buying a beer or two is extra in my opinion. I always try to buy a stick or two if I smoke at a B&M, and if they served beer....I'm sure I'd buy a beer or two also! Zarka's in temecula won't let you smoke or drink in their lounge unless your a member or pay $10 a day to sit and smoke!! I bought $50 worth of sticks and wanted to sit at their bar for a few beers and smoke one of the cigars I just purchased and I was denied!! Unless I wanted to pay $10 to have the opportunity to buy a beer and smoke a cigar!! So I went to a local bar and smoked on the patio for free! I'll never go to Zarka's again!
  • Options
    I bring my own sticks all the time...then just buy 2 beers and leave a pretty generous tip...I've made friends with the bartender, and asked if it was ok to bring my own....he ok'd it, and iv been in my routine for 2 years now
  • Options
    My local place doesn't mind if we bring our own cigars. I don't know if I've ever bought one there. It's more of a bar than a lounge, so I buy a couple beers and everything's jake.
  • Options
    dowjr1dowjr1 Posts: 600
    I was just in a B&M in Knoxville TN. I walk in and immediately whip out my own cigar (Liga #9 Toro), sit down, and light up. Of course, they had a big selection and I was anxious to inspect! I wound up buying a stogie (EP Carillos Core Maduro Toro) ultimately. So I was just another guy who came in and smoked a stogie.
  • Options
    My b&m is membership only, $150 for the year 10% off all purchases. Cigars bought in the store are the only ones allowed to be smoked. Here's a link to the lounge etiquette the owner wrote up. Good read. http://www.docjames.com/uploads/docjamesloungeetiquette.pdf