• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    7-17-13 been in humidor since 10-13-11
    Camacho Select Robusto (5.75 x 52)
    Wrapper: Cameroon
    Binder: Honduras
    Filler: Honduras
    Blender: Julio Eiroa

Since Camacho is heavy in a re-branding, I thought I would smoke one of the cigars that did not make the cut and survive into the updated look. This cigar probably didn't make the cut because it was designed to be different from the standard Camacho and the opposite of the new concept of “The Bold Standard.”

The Camacho Select was blended by Julio Eiroa, the father of the now former president and blender of Camacho Cigars, Christian Eiroa. Apparently the different tastes in cigars led to a friendly competition between father and son on whose cigar would sell more. Would it be Julio's Select, or Christian's Corojo. We know that the Corojo won that battle, and part of the reason why it wan that battle is because of a shifting market.

The fate of the Camacho Select began about 6-7 years ago when there was a noticeable change in the demand of full bodied cigars. Suddenly cigars like the El Cobre, the Don Pepin Garcia Blue, and Camacho Corojo were all that anyone was talking about. Sales dropped on milder cigars. Spicy and strong cigars were now in style. Since the Camacho select was a sweeter cigar (due to the Cameroon wrapper), and blended to be milder, this cigar was out of the trend. Like many mild cigars of the time, they soon faded away and with little celebration, Camacho stopped making them.

This is the first Camacho cigar to ever have a Cameroon wrapper, and it may be only one to ever have one as far as I can remember. However, this claim is slightly in question. There is some speculation that it is not a true African grown Cameroon leaf, but a Cameroon seed grown on Camacho's Rancho Jamastran in Honduras.

The wrapper is a classic Cameroon chocolate brown. It also seems to be a fragile wrapper like most Cameroon wrappers and there is a bit of damage near the cap. The triple cap seems to be intact so this may not be a real concern. The vein structure is fairly thin and fragile looking. The bands are gold and black with the typical (now old) style Camacho band. A gold "C" in the center of a black field with “Camacho” above the field. Along the bottom of the band there is the name of the cigar and just below that in small print the phrase “Blended by Don Julio Eiroa.” There is a secondary band reiterating the blend and blender, also in black and gold.

There is some give to the sides of the cigar but not enough to make me worry. The smell of the cigar is light and is very woody in nature. The lick on the cap has a strange sweetness to it. This is not the typical sweet of a Cameroon but something different. The cold draw is a bit on the sassafras side and definitively sweet. This is what is expected out of a Cameroon.

Due to a bit of wind, a torch lighter is used.
    The first few puffs are very smooth and have a bit of good earth to them. The Cameroon sweet is most prevalent on the finish. There is a light spice in there that is reminiscent of a corojo leaf and there is a bit of an autumn feel to the cigar as well. The finish early in the cigar is very short.

As the Camacho Select settles in, the sweetness comes out. There is a honey quality to it with a bit of sassafras. The spice element is almost a clove and a hint at burning fall leaves. This is pretty much the autumn flavor. It is very well defined. Through the nose there is a mild leather and sweetness. This cigar is fairly mellow. The body seems to be medium and the flavor is not too bold but it is a good flavor.

The middle third seems to loose some of the sweetness but retains a bit of the floral notes of the honey flavors mentioned above. The only sweet now seems to be in the initial flavor during the actual draw. The sweetness stops as soon as the draw does. There is none as the smoke is held. As the smoke is held is a mild earth with the autumn notes. Through the nose a slight spice develops with a floral undertone and the finish is a bit of the sassafras. Its quite nice.

The final third is even less sweet. The Cameroon flavor, but not the sweetness, is on the finish at this point. The cigar has taken a definitive turn to the Honduran corojo flavor. There is a light spice that sticks around and there is a pepper flavor in the mix as well. Though the body of the cigar is picking up, I would still not place it past a solid medium. The flavors are nice and nuanced. I would place the flavor as a solid medium as well. There are some minor burn issues in the last third where the band was, but that is excusable since they self correct and this is the most difficult spot in almost any cigar.

The cigar ends with a hotter version of the corojo flavors coming out.

It is balanced and enjoyable but never bold and never does it make a statement. This is on the mild end of the old Camacho flavor profile and it makes sense that the cigar did not make “The Bold Standard” cut in the company's re-branding. For me, this cigar will be missed. For the brand, it makes perfect sense why it wont continue.

Burn to the nub
    time: 1hour 55min

burn: 8
    draw: 10
    taste: 9
    aftertaste: 9
    construction: 9
    balance: 10
    feel: 8
    overall: 9.0

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews and get micro reviews of cigars and beer then follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    Re-branding? It doesn't always work out. Good review.
  • Options
    beatnic:
    Re-branding? It doesn't always work out.
    i dont like the new logos. as long as the cigars taste right i dont care. no new blends just yet, just new marketing.
  • Options
    7-22-13 been in humidor since 12-5-12
    Rodrigo La Fortaleza Absoluto (5.125 x 43)
    Wrapper: Dominican Habano Oscuro
    Binder: Dominican
    Filler: Dominican
    Blender: William Ventura

The La Fortaleza is the third release from Rodrigo cigars and it is designed for an experienced palate in both power and complexity. “La Fortaleza” translates to “the strength” so the name is fitting. The cigar is Rodrigo’s homage to master cigar blenders everywhere. This is the first and only Dominican puro from the brand witch adds it to the very short list of brands with Dominican puros on the market.

George Rodriguez and William Ventura first met in 2010 when Rodriguez was looking to learn more about cigars in the Dominican Republic. Rodriguez was touring factories looking for information and trying to make connections. When his trip was almost over and little was accomplished, he happened, by fate, to run across Tabacalera Ventura, the independent cigar factory of former Davidoff blender William Ventura. The two hit it off and Rodrigo Cigars was born.

The dark oscuro wrapper is varied in color and has a few dominant veins. It is not a pretty wrapper but an oscuro leaf from the Dominican Republic wouldn’t be considering the process of creating an oscuro and the climate in the Dominican. This cigar looks downright rough. The pigtail cap is a wonderful addition to the otherwise unimpressive outward appearance. The Band of La Fortaleza is black, white and silver with two griffins surrounding two tobacco leaves just above the Rodrigo name.

When I take the band off of the cigar, a tiny bit of the band sticks to the wrapper but I am able to remove it without damage. Minor crisis averted. The lick on the cap is earthy and licorice. Its very strong and wonderful. After a clip with my double guillotine I get an almost identical flavor on the draw as I did from the cigar before the clip but a touch more spicy. The draw is on the firm side.

I light with a double flame torch.
    The first few puffs are surprisingly mild with mostly earth notes. There is a spice late on the finish. As the cigar develops in the first third there is a nice subtle cinnamon-like spice up front. This has Earthy undertones and a nice mouth coating cola and licorice flavor that fades in shortly thereafter. It fades out just as smoothly and leaves a woody aftertaste. Through the nose there is a bit of spice and a slight burn. This is where the power of the cigar is noticed the most. This is starting off impressively.

The middle third has a few uneven burn issues. The flavors are pretty much the same with a bit more push on the spices. The finish is lasting longer than the first third. Through the nose there is the same amount of spice but it has picked up the cola and licorice flavors found on the palate. All around the umami flavors on this cigar are fantastic. The ever so slight salt note that has crept in compliments this very well.

The final third, surprisingly, has not picked up in body. The flavor has picked up an underlying sweetness. The incredible balance of this cigar is enjoyable and the transitions are smooth. This combination makes the cigar seem uneventful because it is possible to predict what is going to happen next flavor wise. The ash throughout has been a bit flaky but it has not hindered the experience in any way.
    The cigar ends with much of the same only hotter and less defined flavors.

Burn to the burn
    time: 1 hour 50 minutes

burn: 8.5
    draw: 9
    taste: 10
    aftertaste: 10
    feel: 10
    overall: 9.5

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews and get micro reviews of cigars and beer then follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Wow some high scores there. Glad you liked it, I may have to grab one. Thanks for the review.
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Kuzi, your like the Yoda of cigars!!!
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    phobicsquirrel:
    Wow some high scores there. Glad you liked it, I may have to grab one. Thanks for the review.
    yeah. i think it was a "right cigar, right time" kinda thing on that one. not that it was bad, but i look at my last review and i think that the score was really high. it IS how i felt as smoking it. ill stand by it.

i do feel that i give out inflated scores at times.

i also look at what i enjoy about sigars and i notice that i am not as particular about cigars as some seem to be.

there is more than one profile i like.

i also find that i have rated a cigar over 9.0 even though i know i wont reach for it as often as that kind of rating would indicate. i find myself looking at my "feel" score more than my own "overall" score. this is one of the problems with a numeric rating system. i just cant think of a better way to do it. im not sure if i want to.
  • Options
    7-30-13 been in humidor since 7-23-13
    Davidoff Nicaragua Short Corona (3.75 x 46)
    Wrapper: Ten year aged Cuban seed Nicaraguan Rosado
    Binder: Jalapa
    Filler: Estali, Condega, Ometepe
    Blender: Hendrik Kelner

Zino Davidoff was always a pioneer with tobacco. From his blending style with Cuban tobacco to the move to the Dominican to produce the best the Dominican had to offer, Zino was always looking for quality. According to Davidoff CEO Hans-Kristian Hoejsgaard This was the same spirit behind the Davidoff Nicaragua and that this concept helps show that “Davidoff is a brand, not a territory,”

That may seem like a strange statement given that the rest of the cigar world has been screaming about Nicaragua for the last decade plus. However, this cigar is a long time in the making. A little over ten years ago, just as Nicaragua was taking center stage in the cigar world, the people at Davidoff saw the potential of Nicaragua. The blending process had begun. Davidoff has always stood for elegance, balance, and a wonderfully smooth experience. This is not exactly the way that many people view the bold flavors of even some of the best Nicaraguan tobaccos, but that is part of the reason why the Davidoff Nicaragua has taken so long to come to the market. Even though the concept was there early, the actualization of this blend took years to get the standards that Davidoff upholds. Much of this time is due to the ten year old wrapper leaf. This age should tame down the tobacco some and bring it into the balance we love out of the brand.

The Cigar is a medium brown with a reddish hue to it. There are a few veins but other than that it is smooth to the touch. A very small crack is on the foot but it does not look like it will cause a problem. The band is the classic Davidoff band styling but there is some differences: the background color is black and the lettering is silver. This seems like the right move on the color of the band considering the rumors of this cigar included one that the project name was “Davidoff Black.” The secondary band is a soft orange with black lettering. The presentation is classic Davidoff with a twist.

The scent of the cigar unlit is heavier than I would expect and it is very woody. As I remove the bands, the second band sticks to the wrapper a little and a tiny bit of the wrapper is pulled off at the same time. This is a huge pet-peeve of mine and I am surprised to see it out of a Davidoff. The lick on the cap is silky smooth and has a musky-sour note to it. After a cut with my Xi2 there is a bit of that same musky-sour note but also a mild raisin and earth note going on. The draw is perfect with a slight amount of resistance but not too much to cause it to feel like work. Its just enough to let you know it is not a giant straw.

I light with my EX soft flame lighter.
    The first few puffs have a bit of a sweetness to it. The woody pulp texture of Nicaraguan tobacco is present. There is a mushroom undertone that is first noticeable through the nose. As the cigar develops the wood notes are a bit sharp and there is more of the mushroom through the nose. The first impression is that yes, this is a Davidoff. The unmistakeable blending style is there. However, this is clearly a Nicaraguan cigar. It Tastes Nicaraguan.

The Middle third is more oak than a generic “wood” than the initial third. It feels that the cigar has settled in and a leather and vanilla note comes out. In the finish there is a bit of the woody spice and through the nose a musk is added to the woody spice. The musk is the signature musk I gety from many Kelner blends but the addition of the Nicaraguan notes makes it interesting. The burn is not perfect and a touch up is needed but only for a very minor issue. The area that was damaged buy the secondary band is looking to be stressed by the impending combustion.

The final third has a bit of a pepper note enter in. the vanilla is there but more on the aftertaste. Not much else changes in the last third. The burn gets a little fickle. A corrective light is needed again.
    The cigar ends on a slightly sour woody note with a musky undertone.

Burn to the burn
    time: 1 hour 5 min

In speaking with other people about this cigar in the lead-up to the IPCPR and a few early reviews I have come across the sentiment that it “tastes like a Davidoff.” And, to a degree, I agree. The blending style is there. I would not mistake this cigar for anything other than a Davidoff. There are even moment in this cigar where it tastes a bit like the Davidoff Gran Gru. There are Flavors in this cigar that are unlike any other Davidoff cigar. The Nicaraguan woody-spice and pulpy texture make strong appearances and there are moments where it reminds me of the Man 'O War Virtue. So in a way this tastes “like a Davidoff,” but it also tastes “Nicaraguan.” Makes sense to me, I mean, it is the Davidoff Nicaragua.

burn: 9
    draw: 10
    taste: 8.5
    aftertaste: 8
    overall: 8.9

• Options
    beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    7 days in the humi? That's got to be a record for you. LOL. Also, 1 hr and 5 minutes? I think that might be a record as well.

good review Kuzi.
  • Options
    robbyrasrobbyras Posts: 5,487
    nice review Kuzi! I just picked up a 4 pack of the robustos... I've eager to try them out...
  • Options
    beatnic:
    7 days in the humi? That's got to be a record for you. LOL. Also, 1 hr and 5 minutes? I think that might be a record as well.

good review Kuzi.
    its new. i was excited.

its a petite corona... not even 4 inches long.
  • Options
    robbyras:
    nice review Kuzi! I just picked up a 4 pack of the robustos... I've eager to try them out...
    im eager to see your thoughts on it.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    beatnic:

good review Kuzi.
    its new. i was excited.

its a petite corona... not even 4 inches long.
    At 4 inches, it darn well better last an hour. Oh wait...uhm, nevermind...
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Poopy_JonesPoopy_Jones Posts: 455 ✭✭✭
    Many thanks for the Davidoff Nicaragua review. The B&M near me has them and I'm going to pick one up next time I go there ( probably Monday ). I recently had Davidoff Classic for the first time and thoroughly enjoyed it.
  • Options
    8-13-2013 been in humidor since 5-8-2013
    Illusione -R- Rothchildes (4.5 x 50)
    Wrapper: Mexican San Andr
  • Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Another nice review Kuzi. I wonder if the nuances of the wrapper and cap were intentional, it not being produced as part of a line.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    8-20-13 been in humidor since 7-30-13
    Leccia Tobacco Black and White

These two cigars are the first to come from Sam Leccia (pronounced “Le See ah”) since his return to the cigar industry. Leccia is the brains behind the NUB and Cain series of cigars from Oliva. When Oliva and Leccia parted ways there was a non-compete agreement in Leccia’s contract. This has kept him out of the cigar world for a couple of years but not for want and/or trying.

Now that he is making his return, he is bringing his non-traditional style back with two cigars: the Black and the White. The Black and White are just as the name implies: very different from each other. These cigars are part of the “Black and White” line. they are different blends but the same line so they should get separate ratings in one review.

The White uses a lesser used leaf from Pennsylvania in conjunction with an African sun-grown and leaves from three other countries to give this cigar a unique profile.

The Black uses a leaf that is almost never in modern cigars called “Dark Fire”
    Dark fire is a type of tobacco that is cured using the heat and drying effects of a smokey fire. This is different than most cigar tobacco that is air cured in barns with great ventilation. The smell is distinct and adds a “campfire” impression to the flavor. This style of curing produces a very dark leaf and is usually used in pipe tobacco blends, or chewing tobacco. Leccia says that using a small amount of this leaf in his Black blend is what gives it the extra unique quality. The black is a four country blend.

Leccia Tobacco White 446 (4 x 46)
    Wrapper: African Sun-Grown
    Binder: Ecuadorian Habano
    Filler: Nicaragua Ligero, Dominican Republic, Pennsylvania Seco
    Blender: Sam Leccia

The Leccia Tobacco White is a decent looking cigar with a chocolate brown wrapper. Most wrapper from Africa tend to be thin and fragile in nature and this one seems no different. There is a small crack that is peeking out from under the band. With any luck this wont be an issue.

The lick on the cap is oily and a dry earth in nature. The clip on the cap with my Xi2 does not exacerbate the crack in the wrapper. The draw is a bit light and I can tell that the crack is contributing to this. This brings me to the decision that the band will not come off until it has to. (This is unusual for me. I usually take it off just before the light.)

A light with a soft flame and my first taste of the Leccia tobacco company are had. The sweetness of the African wrapper is dominating while not being overly sweet. There are a lot of toasty qualities to accompany the sweet. Hard wood notes come through with the classic Nicaraguan ligero flavors on the retrohale. Initially there is a flavor that is difficult to identify but as the cigar reaches the 5 minute point and really settles in it is more clear that there is a salty quality to this cigar. It is a fairly unique cigar in flavor.

The halfway point brings on a more meaty quality. The salt and the wood combine to make this happen. The spice through the nose is intensifying and the Nicaraguan ligero lays down a wonderful base. The aftertaste is all from the ligero so it is a classic woody spice. The personality of this cigar lies in the initial flavor directly off the draw.

The final third brings on a hotter smoke with a bit more cinnamon note to it. With less than a full inch left the cigar starts to lose some balance. A coffee flavor comes out near the end as well and give this a bit more complexity. The burn has been perfect even down to the point where the crack in the wrapper is. This is also the firs time the power of the cigar is noticed. It isn’t a punch in the gut but it ending up on medium side of full.

Burn to the burn
    time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Leccia Tobacco Black 446 (4 x 46)
    Wrapper: Habano
    Binder: Nicaraguan Rosado
    Filler: Nicaraguan Ligero, Dominican Ligero, Brazilian Viso, Dark Fire

The Leccia Tobacco Black, despite its name, has a lighter wrapper than the White. Other than that the visual presentation is the same but with an inverted color scheme to the band of the white.

When the cigar is out of the cellophane, the smell of the Dark Fire leaf fills the air. There is a distinct “campfire” nose to it.
    The lick on the cap has a very oily feel on the lips. A cut with the same Xi2 as above brings out a draw that is a bit more firm but not in any way a problem. The flavors on the cold draw are more of the smoke aroma it gives off. This smoke flavor reminds me of a very nicely done smoked whitefish.

I toast with the same soft flame. The light goes about the same. No issues.

The first few puffs are very different from what is expected. There is a nice smoked oak flavor with a good musk through the nose. There is a round earth flavor that is the underlying flavor to the cigar. When lit the Dominican tobacco seems to take the spotlight away from the Dark Fire that was in the spotlight in the pre-lite. There is no “burn” through the nose in any way.

As the cigar settles in, the Dark Fire manifests itself in a way that is not expected. Instead of having a campfire feel to the smoke it only reads as an “outdoors” note as if you just stepped out of a tent on the morning of a great camping trip. This is also a unique cigar, not just from the White, but from cigars in general.

The middle third rounds out overall. The flavors become thicker and a very slight white pepper flavor develops, none of it through the nose. The earth flavor sharpens slightly. This flavor lingers long into the finish.

The final third is pretty much the same but the fire cured smell creeps in from time to time. This is mostly from the room note. This seems like it would be a great cigar for a transition from pipes to cigars. The cigar is not very complex but it does have unique qualities that make it an interesting cigar. The draw is tighter in this final third but not to the point where it cannot be smoked. It is just an annoying little note. However, the burn has been perfect all the way down.

Burn to the burn
    Burn time: 1 hour 10 minutes.

Leccia tobacco: White, Black
    burn: 10, 10
    draw: 9, 8
    taste: 9, 8
    aftertaste: 9, 9
    construction: 8, 8
    balance: 8, 9
    feel: 9, 9
    Overall: 8.8, 8.7

• Options
    kingjk729kingjk729 Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    8-20-13 been in humidor since 7-30-13
    Leccia Tobacco Black and White

These two cigars are the first to come from Sam Leccia (pronounced “Le See ah”) since his return to the cigar industry. Leccia is the brains behind the NUB and Cain series of cigars from Oliva. When Oliva and Leccia parted ways there was a non-compete agreement in Leccia’s contract. This has kept him out of the cigar world for a couple of years but not for want and/or trying.

Now that he is making his return, he is bringing his non-traditional style back with two cigars: the Black and the White. The Black and White are just as the name implies: very different from each other. These cigars are part of the “Black and White” line. they are different blends but the same line so they should get separate ratings in one review.

The White uses a lesser used leaf from Pennsylvania in conjunction with an African sun-grown and leaves from three other countries to give this cigar a unique profile.

The Black uses a leaf that is almost never in modern cigars called “Dark Fire”
    Dark fire is a type of tobacco that is cured using the heat and drying effects of a smokey fire. This is different than most cigar tobacco that is air cured in barns with great ventilation. The smell is distinct and adds a “campfire” impression to the flavor. This style of curing produces a very dark leaf and is usually used in pipe tobacco blends, or chewing tobacco. Leccia says that using a small amount of this leaf in his Black blend is what gives it the extra unique quality. The black is a four country blend.

Leccia Tobacco White 446 (4 x 46)
    Wrapper: African Sun-Grown
    Binder: Ecuadorian Habano
    Filler: Nicaragua Ligero, Dominican Republic, Pennsylvania Seco
    Blender: Sam Leccia

The Leccia Tobacco White is a decent looking cigar with a chocolate brown wrapper. Most wrapper from Africa tend to be thin and fragile in nature and this one seems no different. There is a small crack that is peeking out from under the band. With any luck this wont be an issue.

The lick on the cap is oily and a dry earth in nature. The clip on the cap with my Xi2 does not exacerbate the crack in the wrapper. The draw is a bit light and I can tell that the crack is contributing to this. This brings me to the decision that the band will not come off until it has to. (This is unusual for me. I usually take it off just before the light.)

A light with a soft flame and my first taste of the Leccia tobacco company are had. The sweetness of the African wrapper is dominating while not being overly sweet. There are a lot of toasty qualities to accompany the sweet. Hard wood notes come through with the classic Nicaraguan ligero flavors on the retrohale. Initially there is a flavor that is difficult to identify but as the cigar reaches the 5 minute point and really settles in it is more clear that there is a salty quality to this cigar. It is a fairly unique cigar in flavor.

The halfway point brings on a more meaty quality. The salt and the wood combine to make this happen. The spice through the nose is intensifying and the Nicaraguan ligero lays down a wonderful base. The aftertaste is all from the ligero so it is a classic woody spice. The personality of this cigar lies in the initial flavor directly off the draw.

The final third brings on a hotter smoke with a bit more cinnamon note to it. With less than a full inch left the cigar starts to lose some balance. A coffee flavor comes out near the end as well and give this a bit more complexity. The burn has been perfect even down to the point where the crack in the wrapper is. This is also the firs time the power of the cigar is noticed. It isn’t a punch in the gut but it ending up on medium side of full.

Burn to the burn
    time: 1 hour 10 minutes

Leccia Tobacco Black 446 (4 x 46)
    Wrapper: Habano
    Binder: Nicaraguan Rosado
    Filler: Nicaraguan Ligero, Dominican Ligero, Brazilian Viso, Dark Fire

The Leccia Tobacco Black, despite its name, has a lighter wrapper than the White. Other than that the visual presentation is the same but with an inverted color scheme to the band of the white.

When the cigar is out of the cellophane, the smell of the Dark Fire leaf fills the air. There is a distinct “campfire” nose to it.
    The lick on the cap has a very oily feel on the lips. A cut with the same Xi2 as above brings out a draw that is a bit more firm but not in any way a problem. The flavors on the cold draw are more of the smoke aroma it gives off. This smoke flavor reminds me of a very nicely done smoked whitefish.

I toast with the same soft flame. The light goes about the same. No issues.

The first few puffs are very different from what is expected. There is a nice smoked oak flavor with a good musk through the nose. There is a round earth flavor that is the underlying flavor to the cigar. When lit the Dominican tobacco seems to take the spotlight away from the Dark Fire that was in the spotlight in the pre-lite. There is no “burn” through the nose in any way.

As the cigar settles in, the Dark Fire manifests itself in a way that is not expected. Instead of having a campfire feel to the smoke it only reads as an “outdoors” note as if you just stepped out of a tent on the morning of a great camping trip. This is also a unique cigar, not just from the White, but from cigars in general.

The middle third rounds out overall. The flavors become thicker and a very slight white pepper flavor develops, none of it through the nose. The earth flavor sharpens slightly. This flavor lingers long into the finish.

The final third is pretty much the same but the fire cured smell creeps in from time to time. This is mostly from the room note. This seems like it would be a great cigar for a transition from pipes to cigars. The cigar is not very complex but it does have unique qualities that make it an interesting cigar. The draw is tighter in this final third but not to the point where it cannot be smoked. It is just an annoying little note. However, the burn has been perfect all the way down.

Burn to the burn
    Burn time: 1 hour 10 minutes.

Leccia tobacco: White, Black
    burn: 10, 10
    draw: 9, 8
    taste: 9, 8
    aftertaste: 9, 9
    construction: 8, 8
    balance: 8, 9
    feel: 9, 9
    Overall: 8.8, 8.7

Awesome review Kuzi ...... I'm a huge fan of both of these and have been grabbing anytime I can ever since I first had them at Cigarfest ..... While I really enjoy both the black just edges the white out in my book. Both are a very nice break from the norm.
  • Options
    ToombesToombes Posts: 4,506 ✭✭✭
    Matt, that's spot on with my impression of the Leccia Black I smoked over the weekend! Coming from the man behind Cain and the NUB I was expecting a bit of a powerhouse but was pleasantly surprised at such a smooth and relatively medium bodied smoke.
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really want to try these. Thanks for the write up! The idea behind the dark fire really makes me think of latakia pipe tobacco or "english" blends. They are always described as a campfire note or "outdoorsy" and "peaty" but the mouthfeel is creamy and smooth.

I know when latakia is aged the smokey charateristic fades and leaves a great mild creaminess.. I wonder if these will age similarly. Also... would keeping a few of these in a humidor for a long time "stink" it up? Other dark fired tobaccos have a really dominating aroma; is it the same here, or more subdued?
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    Gray4lines:
    I really want to try these. Thanks for the write up! The idea behind the dark fire really makes me think of latakia pipe tobacco or "english" blends. They are always described as a campfire note or "outdoorsy" and "peaty" but the mouthfeel is creamy and smooth.

I know when latakia is aged the smokey charateristic fades and leaves a great mild creaminess.. I wonder if these will age similarly. Also... would keeping a few of these in a humidor for a long time "stink" it up? Other dark fired tobaccos have a really dominating aroma; is it the same here, or more subdued?
    i was wondering the same thing. however, i didnt smell it for the few weeks it was in my humidor. when i took it out of the cellopane though it was intense.
  • Options

9-2-13 been in humidor since 3-18-13
    Viaje 5th Anniversary (6.25 x 52 box pressed perfecto)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    Blender: Andre Farkas, Arsenio Ramos?

Ramos has been known to blend for Viaje in the past but little information can be found on if his hand was in this blend.

This 2012 release had almost no attention until the moment it was reveled during the 2012 IPCPR. Then, like most Viaje cigars, it took off and almost as fast, it disappeared. This style of release is all that Viaje does. The 5th Anniversary cigar is no different with a rumored 7,500 total cigars made and only one, maybe two, boxes going to each Viaje dealer.

This vitola and blend seems appropriate for the 5th anniversary cigar. Viaje has a soft spot in their heart for Nicaraguan tobacco with many blends from them being Nicaraguan puros. The box pressed Perfecto is no accident either. Farkas has always enjoyed the perfecto shape and has released a few of those as well. The combination of those two makes sense.

Dont fear all you Viaje fans, there are rumors that this will not be a one time release.

The band on this cigar is a solid white. The only lettering is embossed and it reads “Viaje Cigar Co. 5th Anniversary 2007- 2012.” The all white theme is mirrored on the box. Unless you hold the box or the cigar at the correct angle, no words are seen. It is an interesting presentation.

The cigar itself looks a bit rugged. The seems are tight and the construction looks great but the wrapper looks like it has had a difficult life. It is not very even in colorand has some areas that look muddled.

The smell of the cigar is damp earth and minerals; almost a slate quality. the lick on the cap is very mild and also has a bit of a mineral taste under the hay. A clip on the cap is easy due to the perfecto shape. The draw has some good resistance and carries with it a sassafras and clove flavor.

The light with a soft flame is also easy given the taper of the cigar. The first few puffs have leather and slightly scorched black tea notes. Through the nose there is a very slight coffee and mineral note with a wood undertones. As the cigar settles in and the ring gauge increases, the wood characteristics develop and the Nicaraguan texture comes out to play. When the full ring gauge is reached, the dominant flavors are wood, leaning to oak, a bit of light pepper, and light mushroom notes through the nose that I can only describe as “dry forest floor.” the texture is now distinctly Nicaraguan.
    The burn quickly turns uneven to a point where a touch-up is needed.

In the middle third the flavors shift to a more leather overall. The pepper only shows up in the retrohale and it is mostly a flavor not a feeling. There is no harsh note anywhere to be had. The burn, however, is very distracting. Constant corrections are needed. The other point in construction is that the cigar keeps getting tighter in the draw as I go along.

The final third had little flavor changes but the body of the cigar seems to have become noticeable. The only real change to be had is that the woody spice of Nicaraguan tobacco is starting to come out more. Honestly what set this cigar apart from other Nicaraguan puros was how smooth and subtle the classic Nicaraguan flavor was. The cigar is no longer focused on the umami flavors. So the overall profile is the same but as the beginning of the cigar but the focus has changed. The background became foreground. The burn and draw issues continue to plague this cigar.

Burn to the nub.
    Time 2 hours 15minutes.

burn: 7
    draw: 7
    aftertaste: 8
    construction: 8
    balance: 9
    Overall: 8.0

Remove the burn/draw issues and this would have been a much better smoke.

• Options
    SchackersSchackers Posts: 18
    Great review! I'm so glad you reviewed this model becuase this is the one I'd buy. I have had a couple of Davioffs and absolutely loved them! This seems like a great way to try something a little more complex but with the same Davioff quality.
  • Options
    Schackers:
    Great review! I'm so glad you reviewed this model becuase this is the one I'd buy. I have had a couple of Davioffs and absolutely loved them! This seems like a great way to try something a little more complex but with the same Davioff quality.
    interesting. i didnt find it as complex as other Davidoffs. only the Gran Cru was less enjoyable to me. id take the thousand series over the Nicaragua any day.
  • Options
    SchackersSchackers Posts: 18
    kuzi16:
    Schackers:
    interesting. i didnt find it as complex as other Davidoffs. only the Gran Cru was less enjoyable to me. id take the thousand series over the Nicaragua any day.

To be fair I haven't tried many Davioffs im just going off what I can remember from the last one I had. It was from the classic series. I think I'd be worth a second look
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    Hey Kuzi, I have a question I've been wanting to ask you for a while. You judge your cigars on several factors, all of which seem to have equal weight on the overall average. I'm curious why you decided to give each individual scoring factor equal consideration in the cigars overall score?

I understand each factor indicates a different quality aspect of the cigar and the experience, it just seems to me flavor would be given a greater percentage in the overall score and the other factors would be subservient to it. Anyway, just curious about your perspective and thank you for all the great reviews.
  • Options
    bigharpoon:
    Hey Kuzi, I have a question I've been wanting to ask you for a while. You judge your cigars on several factors, all of which seem to have equal weight on the overall average. I'm curious why you decided to give each individual scoring factor equal consideration in the cigars overall score?

I understand each factor indicates a different quality aspect of the cigar and the experience, it just seems to me flavor would be given a greater percentage in the overall score and the other factors would be subservient to it. Anyway, just curious about your perspective and thank you for all the great reviews.
    at first glance,i dont weigh flavor as heavy as most would because flavor is subjective.
    on the other hand, i do have "taste" and "aftertaste" and "Feel" all of those are subjective. hell... even balance could be subjective. so is it really weighed less? i just broke flavor down to many components. i only have the quantifiables into 3 categories, not 4.
  • Options
    bigharpoonbigharpoon Posts: 2,963 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    so is it really weighed less? i just broke flavor down to many components. i only have the quantifiables into 3 categories, not 4.
    Ahhh...I didn't think of it quite like that. Cool, I dig it.
  • Options

La Flor Dominicana Oro Natural Chisel (6 x 54)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Sun-Grown
    Binder: Dominican Republic
    Filler: Dominican Republic
    Blender: Litto Gomez

La Flor Dominicana Oro is was released in 2012 at the IPCPR. However, this may not be the real beginning of this cigar. The Oro has roots in both story and blending to Litto Gomez's past.

If the blend is studied in any way, it is quickly figured out that this cigar is almost identical to the Coronado blend that LFD put out in 2006. That blend won the number two spot in Cigar Aficionado magazine's annual cigars of the year ratings. The Coronado consisted of a sun-grown Nicaraguan wrapper and Dominican binder and fillers grown on their La Canela farm. The Oro has very similar blend. The only real difference is that the Oro uses a higher priming on that same tobacco. This gives a very similar flavor profile but is “amped up,” according to Litto.

There are hints of the story of Litto's beginnings in the cigar industry in the name of the cigar. The word “Oro” translates to “gold.” This is significant because before Litto was in the cigar business, he was in the jewelery business. This business actually gave him the final push into the cigar business after one night when the shop he owned in Miami was robbed. After being bound and gagged the robbers made off with $400,000 worth of gold, and precious stones. The robbers were never caught. One silver lining came out of all of this: Litto was now all in when it came to cigars. The thieves should not be thanked as nobody should be subject to this but had that night not happened there may not be La Flor Dominicana.

It should also be noted that Spanish conquistador Francisco Vásquez de Coronado was searching for the mythical Cities of Gold. The connections in the name of this cigar are well planned.

La Flor Domincana Oro comes in boxes of five in gold colored tubes. The tubes have black and white print on them in the very familiar LFD style. Once the tube is open, the original chisel shape tops off the cigar. The wrapper is a deep brown that leans to red. The band is like every other LFD band except that the color scheme is devised to fit the name of the cigar. In other words, its gold.

The cigar has some give to it but no real soft spots. The smell is sweet and chocolatey with much of this chocolate note coming off of the foot. The lick on the cap also has coco notes but there is also the signature sour note that comes off of heavy oils. That oily taste turns to spice quickly. There is no clip on the cap; a simple squeeze opens it right up with a very nice draw. The chocolate notes show up on the draw as well but this time but with a bit of an earth note as well.

Light with a soft flame.
    The first few puffs are surprisingly not chocolatey. There is a much more woody note and a bit of a spicy note. The other note that is interesting is a sort of muddy undertone. Through the nose there is a bit of a musk but it is overpowered by the burn. The Nicaraguan wrapper becomes noticeable very early, so is the power. The full body can be identified immediately.
    As the cigar settles in the LFD blending style starts to come into focus with thick meaty flavors that coat the mouth. This is balanced out with Nicaraguan spice and wood mostly on the finish. The burn started out fairly wavy but it self corrected before the middle third is reached.

The middle third brings on a sweeter more defined character. There is an almost minty note to it. The texture is wonderful and the complexity there. The woody notes take on a sharp quality and pierce through the meaty nuder tones. The contrast is very well balanced. However, with all things LFD combined with a slow smoking style, relights are needed. It goes out when set down for what seems like a very short time.

The final third brings on a decidedly more Nicaraguan tone. The spice lingers longer on the palate and the texture becomes more pulpy. The claim of an “amped up” Coronado comes to full light in this third. The body is full and does not hide in any way. The flavor remains the same from this point on, ending in a crescendo of strength.

Burn time: a breath taking 2 hours 35 minutes
    burn to the nub.

This cigar is not for the faint of heart. Part of the reason it took so long to smoke is because of how strong it is. It will slow the smoker down. If you are not a fan of very strong cigars this will not be the one for you, but since strength is not an indicator of anthing relating to quality, it must be discounted. However, this cigar may be a bit too strong.

burn: 9
    draw: 9
    aftertaste: 9
    construction: 10
    balance: 9

Overall: 9.0

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice review Kuzi. It probably goes without saying that I am a rather big fan of this cigar (along with most LFD). I haven't had a Coronado in probably over a year. Now I'm really curious to compare the two.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America