Home Ratings & Reviews
Options

Kuzi's cigar catalog

Comments

• Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    Cool review. Have to admit, I assumed the results were going to be the opposite. Good to hear that this particular blend may have been changed for the better.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    Cool review. Have to admit, I assumed the results were going to be the opposite. Good to hear that this particular blend may have been changed for the better.
    +1. I was expecting the old one to be better considering most people are telling me that the new blends are nowhere near as good as the old. Glad to see hope for Camacho isn't dead for me yet.
  • Options
    SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    wwhwang:
    SleevePlz:
    +1. I was expecting the old one to be better considering most people are telling me that the new blends are nowhere near as good as the old. Glad to see hope for Camacho isn't dead for me yet.
    I really think the comparisons needed time. People would smoke the reblend the day it came out and compare it to all the aged Camacho stock they already had. Giving these new blends a little time might do wonders.
  • Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    SleevePlz:
    wwhwang:
    SleevePlz:
    I really think the comparisons needed time. People would smoke the reblend the day it came out and compare it to all the aged Camacho stock they already had. Giving these new blends a little time might do wonders.
    not only that, but new Camacho isnt just competing with other cigar companies... they are competing with the past version of themselves. this isnt the camacho they know. people fear change. I just feel that the Criollo is blended in the spirit of the original Havana but has more depth of flavor. i cant be mad at it.

however, i was pretty upset with the Blackout.

• Options
    Good thread. I think I'm going to try some of these recommendations. I like spicy flavor in cigars.
  • Options
    601 La Bomba Napalm (5 x 52)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    Blenders: Eddie Ortega, Erik Espinosa

Introduced in 2011, La Bomba is put out by EO Brands witch was Founded by Erik Espinosa and Eddie Ortega (the “E” and the “O”). At the time, both the “E” and the “O” were involved with the brand heavily, owning half of the company between them. The other half of the company was owned by Rocky Patel. As if involving three huge named in cigars wasn't enough, the cigars were being produced in the My Father Factory under the supervision of Jamie Garcia and Don “Pepin” Garcia. Only three different sizes were originally released: a corona (5.5 x 42), a toro (6 x 50) and a robusto 5 x 52).

Since this blend was released, Ortega has left the brand (though in a very friendly way) to create Ortega Cigars. Erik Espinosa still runs the brand and has purchased the La Zona factory in Estali Nicaragua where La Bomba is currently made. La Bomba itself has grown to 6 sizes now including a 4.5 x 42, a 6 x 60 and a 7x 70.

The entire goal of this blend is to showcase Nicaraguan ligero, making a cigar flavor bomb. According to http://www.espinosacigars.com, this cigar is "Not recommended for novice smokers" but "If you love Ligero, you'll enjoy this explosive, extra-strength smoke."

The theme of an explosive cigar is mirrored in all aspects of this blend. Each of the vitolas is named after an explosive device and it features an extra long pigtail cap designed to look like the fuse of a firecracker or stick of dynamite. The band of the cigar is yellow and black with the 601 brand name and logo. The zero in the “601” is replaced with a cartoon representation of a classic pre-mid-ninteenth century bomb, with a fuse sticking out of an iron sphere. (In the “Star Spangled Banner” the line “bombs bursting in air” were of this very type)
    The cigar itself has a wrapper that is a dark brown with a hint at a reddish hue. The vein structure is more delicate than many Nicaraguan wrappers.

imageDSCN1120

In the hand, the wrapper feels simultaneously rough and oily. The weight seems light for the size of the cigar. The “fuse” is fragile and breaks off easily. The smell of the cigar is slightly compost but mostly earth. It smells moist.

The lick on the cap is sweet and peat. The sweetness is surprising. A similar sweetness is in the draw, leaning to a spice drop flavor. The draw is perfect on the resistance.

Light with a soft flame.
    The first few puffs are very woody with a bit of the Nicaraguan pulpy texture on the finish. There is also a hint at a musk note through the nose but this is crowded out by a good amount of burn. The ash falls very early. There is no indication that anything is really wrong, the burn is great. It is staying lit. may be a fluke. The flavors are big and bold but not over the top. It is absolutely a full bodied cigar, a fact that is reflected in the mouth feel and the long finish. This finish as a bit long with the pulpy texture accompanying a bit too long. This can be felt as a hint at harsh. The sweeter wood flavors of the Nicaraguan ligero are most of the flavor overall.

The middle third has many of the same flavor notes, and many of the same issues. The ash does not hold any longer than a quarter of an inch at any point and the finish is a little on the harsh side as described above. Other than that the flavors are balanced but very strong. It is a one note song but the note is good overall save for a hint at harsh at the end that by the end of the middle third has faded considerably. The fullness of the cigar can be felt already.

The final third brings on more woody flavors with spice. The wood leans to the bitter side of wood like pine and the spice is red and black pepper. The harsh note is gone, though it was only light before. What is left now is a wonderfully round and full bodied cigar. Through the nose it is still a bit overwhelming but if only 10% of the smoke is pushed out through the nose it is tolerable and brings out flavors of cedar and black pepper. The last third is far and away the best third of this cigar.

burn to the burn
    time 2 hours.

Burn: 9
    Draw: 10
    Taste: 9
    Aftertaste: 8
    Construction: 9
    Balance: 9
    Feel: 8
    overall: 8.9

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews and get micro reviews of cigars and beer then follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    8-21-2014 been in humidor since 12-27-12
    Cohiba (Dominican) Extra Vigoroso (XV) 652 (6 x 52)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Sumatra
    Binder: Connecticut Broadleaf
    Filler: Nicaraguan Ligero, Dominican Piloto Cubano Ligero
    Blender: Daniel Núñez

The Dominican based Cohiba brand first appeared in 1978 in the form of General Cigar Company registering the name brand (a move that would lead to a legal battle with Cubatobaco over the name that would end with General coming out on top.). The brand's first cigar, becoming popular in the early 80s, was the colloquially known "Red Dot," and it was a fairly mild blend. During the 90s cigar boom the line was re-blended to be a little stronger as this is what the market was demanding.

The trend for stronger cigars continued. In the mid 2000's Cohiba had to come up with a cigar that would satisfy the demand for increasingly strong cigars. Rather than re-blending the “Red Dot” again, they decided to come out with a new cigar. The XV was born. These cigars have the title of the “strongest Cohiba to date,” but they are hardly in the realm of the strongest cigars out there.

The cellophane on this cigar has been yellowed due to the two years of age since placed in the humidor. The presentation is simple, with one band and a simple color scheme of black, burgundy, and gold. The only deviation is a single dot of red in the usual spot. All the lettering is in gold. Where the ends of the band meet on the back of the cigar the letters “XV” appear. The presentation is straight forward and fairly bold. The cigar itself is a good looking cigar. The wrapper leaf is very dark with a bit of a muddled look. This is a sign that the cigar has not been dyed in any way to make the wrapper appear more uniform, only natural fermentation making the wrapper darker. The seems are quite noticeable, making the wrapper leaf look thicker than it feels in the hand. The head of the cigar is very round and the cap is very defined. Overall, it looks well constructed.

The XV feels heavy in the hand. The rustic look of the cigar does not translate to the tactile sensation. It is surprisingly smooth. The smell of this cigar before the light is bold. It has notes of rich earth but also there are tones of dark and maybe dry fruit such as fig or raisin minus the sweetness. The lick on the cap has a surprising amount of spice considering the smell. There is a mild oily/sour note as well. After a clip of the cap with a Xikar cutter, there is a draw with a hefty amount of resistance but still within the realm of “acceptable.” This draw is full of flavors of coco, the forest, and again dried fruit. This is a fairly unique pre-light draw.

Light with a soft flame.
    The first few puffs are woody, leaning to oak. There are undertones of a rich dark earth. Through the nose there more oak flavors that are a bit on the musk side. The retrohale does have quite a bit of body to it but it does not reach a spice or burn. The finish is long and again, heavy with oak. There is a light pepper if the smoke is held too long, but this is not a negative, it adds complexity. The texture of the smoke is very smooth.

The middle third brings in a bit more spice. The oak as become less sharp and has become a more generic wood flavor. The only place that oak shows up as an actual flavor is in the finish and even there is is shorter and fades to a generic wood. The flavors are medium in body and work well with each other but the cigar does not show much of a “journey” from the starting point to the middle third. Through the nose the XV has not changed very much.

The final third seems to be losing flavor. The only thing that stands out is the spice. The oak flavors are still there but have a strange combination of being too much and too little at the same time. It is too little in the initial or main flavor but it is too much in the finish making it a touch bitter. This throws the cigar out of balance and makes it feel unrefined. The body is medium to full but the flavor is medium at best. The cigar ends the same way, with a total lack of dynamics. It is a one trick pony. It is fairly disappointing.

Burn to the nub
    time: 2 hours 30 minutes.

Burn: 10
    Draw: 9
    Taste: 8
    Aftertaste: 7
    Balance: 7
    Feel: 7
    overall: 8.1

if you like my reviews please see my blog. If you want to see what im up to between reviews and get micro reviews of cigars and beer then follow me on twitter (@KuzisCigar) or Facebook

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,270 ✭✭✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    7-16-2014
    Camacho Old vs. New
    Havana and Criollo.

I was late noticing this review but I want to thank you for the effort to put these two side by side. (Drag race? LOL). I bought a box of the old havanas back about eight or nine months ago on the weekend blitz when ccom was, I'm assuming, getting rid of the old stock. Your recommendations as well as others on the forum nudged me to go ahead and blindly make the box purchase. After a few weeks rest they were not all that great in my opinion but you had assured me that they'd age well. You weren't wrong. I had another one from the same box a week or so ago and I'm very very glad I have these. And now I'm very very happy that you think the new Havanas (Criollio) are even a bit better. That's great news. Thanks again.
  • Options
    Bob Luken:
    kuzi16:
    7-16-2014
    Camacho Old vs. New
    Havana and Criollo.

I was late noticing this review but I want to thank you for the effort to put these two side by side. (Drag race? LOL). I bought a box of the old havanas back about eight or nine months ago on the weekend blitz when ccom was, I'm assuming, getting rid of the old stock. Your recommendations as well as others on the forum nudged me to go ahead and blindly make the box purchase. After a few weeks rest they were not all that great in my opinion but you had assured me that they'd age well. You weren't wrong. I had another one from the same box a week or so ago and I'm very very glad I have these. And now I'm very very happy that you think the new Havanas (Criollio) are even a bit better. That's great news. Thanks again.
    i was actually very surprised by how good the new blend was. the only other new blend Camacho i have had was the Blackout and i was very disappointed by it. i will work my way through the others but i was not as big of a fan of the remaining camachos as i was of the Havana line. I am a bit nervous about the diploma as well but it isnt pressing on me as much as the Havana to Criollo reblend.
  • Options
    8-25-2014 been in humidor since 3-29-14
    Avo 88 LE14 (6 x 52 Belicoso)
    Wrapper: Dominican Yamas
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My dad and I smoked a couple of these a couple of months back. I really enjoyed it! He enjoys very mild cigars and really only smokes the Avo classics. He said this was the best cigar he had smoked. Super super smooth, and I noticed that earthy, mushroom quality as well. Really a neat cigar with a lot going on. I'm glad I have a couple left. Thanks for the review!
  • Options
    9-2-2014 been in humidor since 12-19-2007
    Romeo y Julieta Short Churchill
    Wrapper: Cuba
    Binder: Cuba
    Filler: Cuba

Romeo y Julieta is on of Cuba's best selling brands. Habanos S.A. classifies the brand as a “global brand” with a major market share. Romeo y Julieta has been around since the 1850s, but officially since 1873. The 1875 year that is usually associated with the brand is the year that their range was first considered “fully established.” This was by no means their height of production or variation. There are rumors of hundreds of different sizes and blends that were made as customs for wealthy customers in the early years.

The success of the brand overall made this cigar a shoe in to continue post Cuban revolution. Since that point the band has remained successful with about 50 different vitolas up through the 1980s. Since then, the numbers have been roughly cut in half, but with 20 plus vitolas out there from the brand it is still a very popular/large brand.

This popularity and volume is why it is strange that the brand did not have a classic robusto vitola of 4.9 x 50 (the closest thing was the Exhibición No.4 at 5 x 48) In recent years the Robusto has been one of the best selling sizes on the market for just a bout every brand. In 2006 at the 8th Annual Habanos Festival in Havana, Cuba, Romeo y Julieta corrected the lack of a robusto on a permanent basis with the release of the Short Churchill.

This particular Short Robusto has been in the humidor since December of 2007 giving this cigar almost 7 years of age. This is an early example of this vitola, sold under two years of the initial release. There is no box code available for this cigar.

The Short Churchill comes either in a standard dress box or in aluminum tubes. This particular cigar is the aluminum tube version. The tube itself feels high quality with the top fitting very tightly over the base. The styling is in the red, gold and white that the marca is usually dressed. The cigar itself has not only the classic Romeo y Julieta band, but also a gold, embossed band with the name of the cigar on the front. The cigar itself is a light tan with a few random veins. There is a small crack on the foot of the cigar that looks more or less innocuous

In the hand, the Short Churchill feels oily and very smooth. The cigar has a very light scent to it. Some of the notes are borderline floral. A lick on the cap is also very light with a bit of a light sour note that fades to spice. After a cut with a double guillotine, there is a draw that is on the tight side. It is not going to cause any issues beyond being mildly distracting. The flavors of this tight draw are on the sweeter side of licorice and they also have a floral quality. The cold draw flavors are light and delicate.

Light with a soft flame.
    The initial flavors are slightly sweet- approaching a dark chocolate. There is a middle flavor of cedar that sits on the palate through the finish. Through the nose there is the classic Cuban sharp earth but it is mild and hides behind a fair amount of musty cedar. It is quite pleasant and balanced. However, it is short of amazing and seems to be missing a bit of a “wow” factor.
    As the cigar settles in a very light spice enters the mix on the finish and is hinted at on the retrohale.

The middle third has taken more of an earth tone. The cedar notes have also picked up. The finish flattens out quite a bit and has less of a wood or cedar note and leans more to a dry cardboard flavor. This is a very short note and is also very light, but it is still quite disappointing. The retrohale is still the most enjoyable part of the cigar, with classic Cuban sharp earth, and wood notes. It has zero burn through the nose and no harshness at all left on the palate.

The final third seems to have a slightly warmer smoke. The smoke is not actually hotter, but it seems to be a bit of a red pepper spice that gently makes an appearance at every point of the puff-- from the initial draw, to the retrohale, to the finish. This does add a level of complexity that this cigar was lacking to this point. However, the very light cardboard flavor can still be noticed from time to time. The classic Cuban notes on the retrohale have faded and are almost non existent. The burn is slow and perfect all the way down.

Burn to the nub
    time: 1 hour 40 minutes

Draw: 7
    Aftertaste: 8
    Construction: 8
    overall: 8.4

• Options
    roland_7707roland_7707 Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭
    Love the history and the reviews Matt. Thank you.
    One God, One Truth
  • Options
    9-11-2014
    Room 101 The Big Payback Hueso (6 x 60)
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan
    Binder: Nicaraguan
    Filler: Nicaraguan
    Blender: Matt Booth

Camacho's reputation as being a Honduran Puro machine has been shaken up a bit since the re-branding of the company. Room 101 has not visibly been touched by the Camacho makeover, however, there is evidence that a wider range of tobacco is being used in their blends. The Big Payback is the 14th cigar released by Room 101 cigars, but the first Nicaraguan puro. Previously the brand leaned heavy on the Honduran tobacco, with only a few leaves of a blend being from other countries.

The Big Payback is a cigar designed not to seek revenge on someone, something, or some other brand, but to payback the loyal smokers of Room 101 cigars and say “thank you” for all the support. This is one of the reasons why the cigars is more value driven with the largest cigar in the lineup (7 x 70 (also the first 7x70 for the marca)) retailing for only $6.95, well below what they “should” sell for. The name of the cigar, the large ring gauges, and the MSRP were all developed and designed with what the marketplace wants in mind. When asked specifically about the large rings of Booth hinted that the cigar business is about balance between art and business. This is an attempt to achieve that balance. The Market has been trending to large rings and Nicaraguan Puros. Room 101 had yet to fill that niche. Now they have.

This will not be a limited edition cigar. This will be a regular production cigar with rumors that there is enough tobacco to indefinitely produce according to the market demand.

The cigar is large by classic standards but it seems to fit in with current standards. A 6 x 60 is hardly the largest cigar on the market. The cigar has two bands; both of them are black and silver. The main band states the name of the cigar and the brand. The secondary band around the foot is very wide and sports the Room 101 Fu. It is a basic presentation but it works well out of simplicity.

Once the bands are off, a clear view of the medium brown wrapper is seen. There is a bit of a rustic look to it. The wrapper is bumpy and has some heavy vein structure. The seams are easy to see, and the wrapper appears thick. In the hand, the cigar feels smooth and oily. As with any large format cigar, it is heavy, but not for its size. It has a classic barnyard smell with a bit of a cedar note. The lick on the cap is oily and a bit sour with a hint at bitter. A clip with an Xi1 cutter is barely possible given the ring, but once accomplished, there is a wonderful draw with the right amount of resistance. This draw is full of flavors anise, licorice and sarsaparilla. In short it leans to a good craft root beer.

Light with a soft flame.
    The initial flavors are smooth, cedar and sweet. Through the nose there is a sweet mushroom flavor and a hint at the classic Nicaraguan flavor of wood and spice. As the cigar settles in, the sweeter notes stick around. The cedar note picks up a touch of musk. There is hint at spice but it never quite reaches the level of spice, even when the smoke is held an extended period of time. The retrohale brings flavors of mushroom and musty cedar. The finish is fairly short and seems to invite another puff quickly. The flavors of the first third are smooth and enjoyable. There is no hint at harsh in any way. There are complexities and nuances within the flavors that make them mesh together well with very good balance.

The middle third has a bit more pepper to it. What makes the pepper interesting is that it is a very light note of it on the initial draw while drawing. There is still little to no pepper in the rest of the puff. The musk and wood notes have picked up and the sweetness has died down. Through the nose is where it is more of a typical Nicaraguan, though it still is missing the heavy spice. The woody retrohale is very nice and the musk mingles well with it. Though the finish is lengthening, it is not very long. The cigar makes the mouth water.
    This middle third does bring in a bit of a burn issue, with one side burning slower than the other. A quick touch up light corrected the issue. No flavor changes post correction.

The final third has increased in intensity. The spice in the initial puff has picked up again while remaining smooth. It can best be described as a subtle cinnamon. The wood notes have a thickness to them that was not previously noticed. The retrohale is about the same as the middle third but the finish is now longer. It has become dusty wood in nature and seems to linger for several minutes. These smooth and subtle transitions keep the cigar interesting despite the large format and slow burn.
    The cigar ends mostly this way, warming up near the end, accentuating the cinnamon.

Burn to the Burn
    time 2 hours 50 minutes.

Aftertaste: 10
    Balance: 10
    Feel: 9
    overall: 9.4

• Options
    9-22-14
    La Barba Purple Lancero (7x 38)
    Wrapper: Havana Vuelta Abajo Equadorian Habano
    Binder: Dominican Corojo
    Filler: Dominican Corojo, Havana Vuelta Abajo Habano, Dominican Carbonell
    Blenders: Tony Bellatto, Craig Rossi, Robert Caldwell

La Barba Purple is the sophomore release for the La Barba brand. The original release (Red) garnered the number 5 spot in this site's top reviews of 2013 with a score of 9.4 of 10. Though there are a few changes to the brand since the initial release, the spirit of the brand is fully intact.

The 2013 release featured the likes of Christian Eiroa and was produced in the Wynwood Cigar Factory in Miami. This time around Tony Bellatto and Craig Rossi teamed up with Robert Caldwell of the Caldwell Cigar Co. and William Ventura of Tabacalera William Ventura (the same factory that both Caldwell Cigars and Rodrigo Cigars are produced). Caldwell and Bellatto have collaborated previous to this blend. The Impromptu line of cigars was blended by the pair featuring rare tobaccos in extremely small runs.

The theme of rare tobaccos continues in La Barba Purple. Included in the blend is a rare tobacco leaf known as Carbonell. This leaf takes its name from the family that has been growing the leaf in small quantities for about 100 years. The leaf is said to have mild and smooth textures with a robust aroma. It is one of the Dominican's better kept secrets.

La Barba Purple is a good looking cigar. The silver and purple color scheme applied to the original styling of the La Barba band yields an elegant presentation. It is bold but not over done. The vein structure is evenly spaced with none of them dominating the surface of the cigar. The seams are evident, giving the wrapper a thick look. This is accentuated by the triple cap. The feel of the wrapper says otherwise. The seams are unnoticeable to the touch, a sign of good construction.

The wrapper is soft to the touch almost like a velvet. Its unlit bouquet is a strong woody barnyard. The lick on the cap is oily with a hint at sour and a bit of spice. Cut with a double guillotine. The draw is near perfect on resistance, only slightly to the tight side. This cold draw has an earth and licorice quality to it. The tobacco brings a spice to the lips that seems to linger.

Light with a soft flame.
    The first few puffs are mildly sweet in vaguely caramelized sugar way. The undertones are an undefined umami, maybe it leans to a black tea. There is a pepper note that fades in and lingers long on the finish. Through the nose there is a heavy spice that overpowers what wants to be a wood impression.

As the cigar settles in, a more wood note takes over. There are still black tea/umami undertones with a very light caramel style sweetness to it, but the focus is more to the wood side of things. All of the spice seems to hit later in the puff and is most defined on the finish. It is a good white pepper in both flavor and spice level.

The middle third brings a tighter draw. The flavors are still abundant and the firmer draw is not ideal but it is still very enjoyable. The flavors have shifted to more of the sweeter caramel notes with the wood taking a back seat. The cigar is very smooth on the palate. All of the spice takes place on the retrohale and dropping off in the finish. This middle third has a cleaner finish than the previous third with a very light white pepper and a new found wood note that was covered by the pepper in the first third. This combination of wood and caramelized sugar is fairly unique; most likely the Carbonell's sweetness coming through.

This particular cigar is not conducive to a slow smoking style. The vitola and blend seem to go out if not puffed on at a decent pace. There is no room to set it down and forget about it for a few minutes. Needless to say, during the middle third a complete relight is needed. This is the only burn issue. Beyond that the burn is even and self correcting when it does stray a touch.

The final third has more pepper all around. It is still distinctly white pepper. It is warm and inviting. It slowly cannibalizes other flavors. The first to go is the black tea/umami flavor that is now delegated to live only late on the finish. The next to go is the wood flavors. The transition is slow and seamless.

The cigar ends this way. A nice warm spice on the palate with a longer pepper finish.

Burn to the nub
    time 2hours 5 minutes.

Aftertaste: 9
    overall: 9.1

• Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice review Matt, really have wanted to see what these are all about thanks for the reviews ;)
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Kuz, sounds like something I need to look for!
  • Options
    mmccartneydc:
    not out as of the review... any day now. only a few stores will have them.
  • Options
    9-24-2014
    Camacho Ecuador Robusto (5 x 50)
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
    Binder: Brazilian Matafina
    Filler: Honduran Corojo, Honduran Criollo Ligero, Dominican Pelo de Oro

Shortly after Camacho's sale to the Oettinger Davidoff group, the brand went through a revamp. For almost three years the brand did not produce any new core lines. Even the number of limited editions was few and far between. Camacho cut their core lines down to six. Of those six, five were reblended. Only the Triple Maduro remained unchanged.

Then the Camacho Ecuador was released. This became the first cigar that Camacho added to the core line since the “Bold Standard” campaign started. It is also the first cigar of the core lines in the same time frame that was not a reblend of a previous Camacho cigar. It is an all new Camacho.

The Camacho Ecuador takes its name from the wrapper leaf, grown below the Andes Mountains in Ecuador. This is a big step given Camacho's history with Honduran tobacco. Featuring a non-Honduran Leaf is a first for the brand, but so is having only two of the 5 different leaves used in the blend from Honduras. The Honduran Corojo has always been a staple for the brand, and this blend seems to be the first to step away from that staple.

This cigar has a decent presentation. The black and bluish green band is huge and covers large sections of this cigar. Other than the coloring, the band is the standard issue “Bold Standard” band. The wrapper is a light chocolate brown with a heavy vein structure. It looks rugged.

The band comes off easily and more of the wrapper confirms the heavy vein structure. The foot of the cigar is soft and squishy. It looks like it has been slightly crushed at some point. The rest of the cigar feels firm and well made. The texture of the wrapper is oily and slightly fuzzy. The smell of the cigar is of fall leaves. A lick on the cap is very light in flavor but it does have an oily feel. Once cut with a double guillotine, the autumn leaves not is still there but there is also an earth and pepper impression.

light with a soft flame.
    Given the lack of density in the foot, the light is quick. The cigar is set down to recover from a hot light. The first thing that is noticed is the huge plumes of smoke billowing off of the foot. The first puffs bring huge clouds of smoke that are heavy with spice. There is a black pepper blast right off the bat. This pepper lasts a very long time, right through the finish and lingers on the palate for several minutes. The body can be noticed right away as well. The thickness of the smoke is undeniable.

As the cigar settles in each puff picks a dynamic that is interesting and almost unexpected. The initial draw is sweet and floral, but that changes almost immediately. The spice comes on strong in the middle flavor with the citrus undertone that is light and balancing. The spice lingers through to the finish. The citrus note fades back to floral on the finish. The finish is long but no longer carries the spice as the final note. It is definitively floral.
    There are some burn issues in the first third. A touch up light is needed for a very crooked burn.

The middle third has a tamer spice profile, but it is still there. The cigar has rounded out quite a bit with flavors running deep, giving a good “low end” to it. Most of this is in the floral notes that seem a bit on the earth side. While swirling the smoke in the mouth the citrus becomes noticeable. The citrus hits heavy in the finish. Most of the spice is gone in this third. Through the nose the Camacho Ecuador has a heavy burn factor and a bit of wood to it, but that is clearly not the focus.

The final third starts with another corrective light. This time it was a minor one but needed. The profile is still heavy on the pepper and citrus in the first and second parts of the puff but the finish has picked up a dry woody note. This dry woody note is very much balsa wood. Once a purge is done the citrus shows up again in the finish. This is a very unique profile, and a unique cigar.

The cigar ends this way with little heating or further flavor changes.

Burn: 8
    Taste: 10
    overall: 9.3

• Options
    wwhwangwwhwang Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭
    Yet again, kuzi manages to convince me to put something else on my wishlist.
  • Options
    wwhwang:
    Yet again, kuzi manages to convince me to put something else on my wishlist.
    this was a surprise to me too.
    i had to be convinced that it was good by a trusted B&M manager. the Camacho Blackout was not what i hoped it would be and this was from the same blenders. (whoever they are. Camaho has not stated). i was reluctant to try it but i am happy to say that its a good smoke.
  • Options
    First_WarriorFirst_Warrior Posts: 3,278 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On my wish list also. Great look at a new cigar. Thanks kuzi.
  • Options
    mmccartneydcmmccartneydc Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭
    kuzi16:
    mmccartneydc:
    not out as of the review... any day now. only a few stores will have them.
    Thanks for the heads up!
  • Options
    Herrera Esteli Norte
  • Options
    10-27-14 been in humidor since 9-7-14
    La Antiguedad by My Father Corona Grande (6.375 x 47)
    Wrapper: Habano Ecuador Rosado Oscuro
    Double Binder: Nicaraguan Corojo, Nicaraguan Criollo
    Filler: San Rafael, Las Quebradas and San Jose regions of Nicaraguan
    Blender: Jose “Don Pepín” García and Jamie Garcia

La Antigueded has a very familiar styling. This familiarity comes from a similar concept that brought the design of the Flor de las Antillas. This, of course, is the concept of using an old long-forgotten Cuban brand name and artwork for a new cigar. The release of the La Antiguedad may have been in 2014 but the name, and concept have been around since 2009. The artwork, it is rumored, took quite a while to find.

Though this has the similar styling of the Flor de las Antillas, this is a very different cigar. It is stronger than Flor de las Antillas, and sports a wrapper from a different country. This cigar was designed to be bolder and more complex than FdlA, appealing to a smaller group of cigar smokers. It features 6 distinct tobaccos from Nicaragua (including the double binder) and one from Ecuador (the wrapper). Given the mix of leaves, it would be easy to assume that this is a classic match-up of Ecuadorian wrapper around an otherwise Nicaraguan cigar. Given the range of flavors from the My Father factory, assuming nothing is the only pertinent thing to do.

The original Cuban Band for this cigar does give the presentation a very classic feel. There is a red ribbon on the foot of this cigar as well. The wrapper leaf of this mildly box pressed cigar is a rich brown that edges to red with veins that do not dominate the landscape.

La Antiguedad feels lightly velvet in the hand and slightly oily. Pre-light, there is a classic Nicaraguan barnyard smell. A lick on the cap reveals some heavy spice with an oily feel. After a cut with a double guillotine, the flavors come very easily. There is the spice mentioned before, a floral quality, and dark sugar notes. The resistance is perfect.

Light with a single flame torch.
    The initial puffs have some spice to them. This accompanies the classic Nicaraguan wood-pulp notes. There is a leathery undertone and a late bitter. The bitter indicates the light is too hot.
    As the cigar settles in, and down, some cedar notes begin to come out. This is mostly in the finish and through the nose. The initial part of the puff is an acute peppercorn. There is an underlying salty note as well. This salt and pepper combination gives a slightly meaty impression. The strength is very clear by the end of the first third.

In the middle third the spice note is calmer, but it is still very defined and it still comes on mostly in the initial puff. The meaty quality continues to be the overall impression. The cedar is still there but only for a very short instant in the initial puff, but it appears again on a finish that is long and drawn out. Nearing the end of the middle third a light sweetness starts to emerge but also a drying effect in the mouth. This reads as dry wood.

The final third has a strange smoking quality. If not constantly puffed on, the cigar's smoke becomes thin. If smoked so that it stays fully lit, it becomes a spice bomb, losing the other flavors that are there. Its as if the cigar it trying to go out. This is fine and good if spice is the goal, but if it is not, it is quite distracting. The saltiness has picked up quite a bit as well and the cedar has disappeared. The impression is that this cigar needs a few years in the humidor. The body of the cigar also seems to pick up in this third.

The cigar ends with a sweet and spicy note and very salty. Nowhere near as complex as anticipated.

burn to the band
    burn time 1 hour, 55 min.

Burn: 7
    Taste: 8
    Balance: 8
    Feel: 7
    Overall: 8.2

• Options
    12-2-2014
    Illusione Fume D'Amour Caprastanios (6 x 56)
    Wrapper: Nigaragua
    Binder: Nicaragua
    Filler: Nicaragua
    Blender: Dion Giolito

Early in 2013 Illusione released the Rothchildes, a cigar that won acclaim for both is quality and affordable price-point. Since then, the brand as been fairly quiet, not releasing any new lines. That is until late in 2014, with the release of the new Fume D'Amour.

Blender Dion Giolito has always kept classic Cuban styling and concepts in mind with the Illusione brand. Traditionally, Cuban cigars tend to be a bit more mild than non-Cuban cigars. To stay aligned with this traditional concept, this blend contains no ligero. Any full body impressions is attributed to more sunshine, not a higher priming. This is not a new blending concept for Illusione. The Epernay also contains zero ligero.

One of the well documented goals of this cigar was to “burn like a stack of dimes,” meaning that for every puff there will be one ring in the ash, leaving a pattern that looks like a stack of dimes. This means that extreme measures must be taken when it comes to construction and consistency. From a visual inspection, this does seem to be the case.

The Fume D'Amour has a very smooth tan wrapper. Though the wrapper is not seamless in appearance, but it feels as if it would be in the hand. It is the same quality with the vein structure; the veins can be seen but not felt. There are no lumps, soft spots, no hard spots, no inconsistencies at all. The construction appears flawless. The band is simple. Red, cream and gold are the only colors used. It is simple but it fits the appearance of the cigar perfectly for a smooth and elegant appearance.

The pre-light smell is light and leans to hay. The lick on the cap is similar to the smell but with a bit of a sour note on top of it. When held in the mouth there is little to no spice. A cut with a double guillotine brings on an earth note and a light black tea note through an easy draw.

Light with a soft flame.
    The first few puffs have a spicy wood note that is fairly typical of Nicaraguan cigars but not as oppressive. There is a good black pepper note through the nose. These elementas are fairly common in Nicaraguan tobacco. What distinguishes this cigar from another typical Nicaraguan Puro is the herbal undertones. There is also a coffee-like impression that mostly reads as a roasty earth with a touch of sweet. The finish continues with the same coffee impressions but leaning to roasted grains.
    As the cigar settles in the flavors sweeten and mellow. It rounds out with nutty tones that sneak into the finish. The mild spice mellows as well.

The middle third continues with roasty flavors and a mild black pepper note. The sweetness moves to the initial puff and it is quick but distinctly caramel in nature. This flavor is quick and it can be easily missed up front, but it can be noticed again as a light impression in the finish.

The final third is very similar to the middle third. The black pepper note that is still there seems to pick up slightly without adding heat or spice, just flavor. This profile is not unique within the realm of Nicaraguan cigars, but the execution on this particular blend is extremely well done and more refined than most.
    Nearing the end of the cigar, the finish becomes more woody, with a hint of spice but this is a very subtle change with the overall profile remaining the same.

In fact, once out of the first third, the cigar changes very little overall.

Over the length of the cigar the burn is nowhere near the “stack of dimes” concept. One side of this particular cigar seems to never want to stay lit. several corrective lights are needed.

Burn to the nub.
    Time 2 hours, 5 minutes

Burn: 7
    Overall: 8.6

• Options
    youngryan216youngryan216 Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭
    Just followed you on twitter Kuzi. I appreciate the reviews you post here. I tend to agree with most of your general opinions. Keep it up man.
    ISO Ramrod and Ron Mexico
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynnLee.mcglynn Posts: 5,960 ✭✭✭✭
    Even though a low score I like the concept of the smoke! I'll try one when I find one
    Money can't buy taste
  • Options
    Lee.mcglynn:
    Even though a low score I like the concept of the smoke! I'll try one when I find one
    yeah... but replace the burn score with a 9 and re average... if it burned well it could have been much better. 8.9 is a very respectable score. and if the burn was better that may lead to a higher construction score... maybe a 9... then we are looking at 9.0.

the flavor was the best part, and the construction was a one off .
  • Options
    12-8-14 been in humidor since 12-12-11
    Cohiba Siglo IV (5.6 x 46)
    Wrapper: Cuban
    Binder: Cuban
    Filler: Cuban

The Siglo line was introduced in 1992 and released to the world market in 1994 as a way to commemorate the 500 years since Columbus arrived in the new world. The name of the cigar “Siglo” is a hint at this, translating roughly to “century.” The initial offering had five sizes I, II, III, IV, and V; one for each century since 1492, and was initially known as La Linea 1492 series. The VI was released in 2002, presumably to cater to the larger ring gauge popularity.

This particular cigar has been in the humidor since 12-12-11, but has no box code on it. There is no reason to believe that it is much older than 2010 or 2011.

The Cohiba Siglo IV is a good looking cigar. The trademark gold, yellow, black and whit band is recognized instantly. The wrapper has very few veins and none of them that could be classified as “dominant” in any way. It is a medium tan in color. The triple cap is wonderfully executed.

The scent before the light is a touch grassy and woody but generally mild. A lick on the cap is earthy oily. There is no spice at all. A clip on the cap with the double guillotine reveals a slightly firm draw with mushroom and sweet earth flavors.

light with a soft flame.
    The first few puffs are earth and musk. Through the nose a sharp earth shows up. This is where it reveals its Cuban identity. There is a slight pepper note that lingers into the finish. There is a good woody undertone throughout.
    As the cigar settles in, a nice sweetness that leans to wood develops. This is balanced out nicely by a very short and mild black pepper spice as the smoke is swirled in the mouth. The earth undertones take on a bean-like quality. Even though the cigar reads as a medium body the smoke is smooth enough to push the entire puff out through the nose with no burn at all. When this is done, the musk and sharp earth comes out in spades. The finish is woody, leaning to Spanish cedar and oak.

The middle third is similar to the first third as far as balance and undertones goes, but there is a more grassy tone to it. This is mild and fits in very nicely. The previously mentioned bean quality is reminiscent of edemame, witch is where the “green” or grassy notes come into play. The spice is picking up but it is not harsh in any way. It is more of a texture impression than anything else. The finish is woody and smooth. It leaves an impression of silk in the mouth. The burn is perfect.

The final third is fuller in body. Much of the finesse is gone leaving only the basics of the flavor profile. The earth flavors, including the edemame impressions are dominating. The finish is earth, wood, and longer than before. The spice through the nose is picking up more and edging to a “burn” but it has not reached that. The lighter flavors in the retrohale are sharp earth. Even with the simplification of the cigar, it is still complex and not overbearing. The balance is the high point of this cigar. The cigar ends this way with no heating or harsh elements.

Burn to the burn
    time: 2 hours

Draw: 8

Overall: 9.3