Home Ratings & Reviews

Rip's Cigar Journal

rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

2006 was the 30th anniversary of the Don Carlos cigar created by the Fuenete family, Carlos Fuenete, sr. Since 1976, Fuente family has been making Don carlos line. The regular Don Carlos is made with Cameroon wrapper. In a tribute to his father, carlito Fuenete has created the Don Carlos 30th Anniversary cigars, Don Carlos Edicion de Aniversario. The cigar is blended from select aged tobaccos grown at Chateau de la Fuente, rolled by most skillful torcedos. Carlito swapped out the Camerron wrapper and added Shade Grown wrapper he uses on Opus X. This is truely a rare cigar in the market

The cigar is beautiful head to feet. The double bands are beautiful. The wrapper is caramel color with very little veins. This is truly an extremely complex cigar with sweet raisin, woody, earthy, sweet coca, vanilla, roasted nut, espresso flavor and aroma with round flavor and long complex finish. The cigar is medium to full bodied. I do not hesitate to say - this is one of the top five non-Cuban cigar in the market.
Photobucket
Wrapper: Shade grown Rosado leaf

Binder: Dominican

Filler: Dominican same as aged Opus X. I believe the fillers has something different. There is distinctive sweet raisin aroma which does not exist in the Opus X.

1/3: First puff starts with clean spicy flavor. With in couple puffs, the spice tone down and relaxed with sweet coca note with very mild sweet raisin and espresso under tone. I am drinking iced water to enjoy the full flavor. There no harshness at all. it is all about complexity, flavor, aroma, sweet aftertaste. The top of my tongue is enjoying the spice but the middle of the tongue is enjoying the mild sweet raisin, espresso aroma, the back of the tongue can feel the delicate mild tobacco bitterness which is not unpleasant at all.
Photobucket
2/3: I am midway through the cigar now. The sweet coca and raisin flavors are stronger and cedar, woodsy aroma is dominating the spiceness. At this point the mouthful, creamy texture declares with unique complexity and long finish. Roasted nut has been added to the flavor profile which reminds me of a regular Opus X. Perfect burn with perfect draw. I feel slight leathery note with sweet mild chocolaty aroma. I believe this is the best moment of this cigar.
Photobucket
Final/3: At this moment the cigar is full bodied finish with bold coca, cedar, roasted nutty aroma. The strong spiciness is back and dominating the full flavor profile. This is the example of a perfect complex cigar. The mild vanila tone is gone, the coca flavor is gone. Now its all about strength, spice and woodiness with slight leather tone. Top of my tongue is full of spice, middle of my tongue is enjoying the leathery, woody under tone, back of my tongue is full of sweet, peppery tobacco bitterness. The smoke is extremely complex with round flavor. Though it is full bodied but I can still retrohale with creamily, delicate flavors. I am in love with this cigar.
Photobucket
Is this cigar worth the price? Yes, worth every single cents. I am willing to buy more of this cigar- single or a full humidor

Comments

• The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    As I sit here and smoke my LPH morado,, I am puff........exhale..... besides myself with envy...Very Nice review love the Photos,,,and I hate you......puffff......exhale!!!!!!
  • big chunksbig chunks Posts: 1,607
    another great review
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    Nice man, Nice! Even after having these cigars aging for 5 years I still find them to be really strong. Not including the 2 years they are aged at the factory.
  • rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    True it is still strong but must mellowed out after seven years of aging. I can not compare because I wasn't a cigar smoker back then.
    rwheelwright:
    Nice man, Nice! Even after having these cigars aging for 5 years I still find them to be really strong. Not including the 2 years they are aged at the factory.
  • rwheelwrightrwheelwright Posts: 3,296
    rzaman:
    True it is still strong but must mellowed out after seven years of aging. I can not compare because I wasn't a cigar smoker back then.
    rwheelwright:
    I can only comment on the 5 years. I have smoked some and given a few away but I always smoke 1 a year to see how they changed. And I tell you, still f'ing strong man! I almost felt like I wasn't worthy of wearing big boy underwear.
  • docbp87docbp87 Posts: 3,521
    Definitely one of the best cigars Fuente has ever released.
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    docbp87:
    Definitely the best cigars Fuente has ever released.
    there, fixed it for ya. Fuente really fills my super premium needs, especially this stick. It is the finest stick I've had.
    2006 was Stanford Newman's 90th Birthday. Fuente and Newman families are good friends and business partners for a long time. Newman Cigar company was founded in 1895 and still in business with great reputation. Definitely, they asked Fuente to create the special cigar. The first blend was same as the regular Diamond Crown Maximus blend with a 18 years aged Cameroon wrapper. However, Cameroon wrapper has very delicate sweet, spiciness and the original blend was utterly overpowering. Eric Newman really wanted to celebrate Stanford Newman's 90th birthday with a very special and balanced blend. As a result, he modified the entire blend with very aged Dominican tobacco. Both Eric and Carlito were involved to develop this blend. Some say, they used five different tobaccos in it, four from Dominican Republic and one from Ecuador. I couldn't verify this information. However, I do believe there is aged Piloto Cubano tobacco. Photobucket Photobucket
    This cigar need to be handled very carefully since this is an aged delicate Cameroon wrapper. The wrapper can easily crack and create uneven smoking. I smoked the entire cigar without any issue because I left it in my humidor for a while. I have a separated humidor just for aged Cameroon with extra humidity so the wrapper doesn't get too dry. The cigar has very balanced sweet, spicy, milk chocolate flavors. All the way creamy and relaxing smoke with perfect burn and construction. Overall it is a medium light bodied cigar. One of the best Cameroon in the market IMPO

Wrapper: Cameroon

Binder: unknown

Filler: Dominican aged tobacco and specially blended by Carlito Fuente and Eric Newman

1/3: From the first draw, the cigar produces good smoke with very mild sweet and spiciness. Sign of Cameroon wrapper. The mild spice note is very noticeable on top the tongue. I can feel the oak noted with sweet undertone. Not a very exotic start but very plesant and relaxing.
    Photobucket
    2/3: The cigar start take off from this stage with strong sweetness with milk chocolate flavor. The creamy, sweet, oak notes dominates the flavor profile. The strength starts gathering inside my mouth with distinctive round, mouthful feeling. I can feel the complexity with layers and layers of flavors. Top of my tongue can feel the spiciness, middle of my tongue can feel the mix of creamy, sweet, spicy, milk chocolate, mild coffee, cocoa, roasted nut flavors. Practically no bitterness and aftertaste but has a long finish after each puff. Sign of a truly aged tobacco and wrapper
    Photobucket
    Final/3: Now the cigar is completely medium bodies with strong spiciness. Top of my tongue is full of spice, middle of my tongue is full of above complex flavors with long finish. What a complex cigar? The cigar is telling me - dude it's enough, you are almost there. Oh, I just wish this strong sweet, spiciness exgisted at the 2/3 stage(just like Don Carlos Edicion Aniversario). Strong spiciness added with clove and nutmeg flavors. All I can say is the ultimate taste of a truly aged Cameroon wrapper.
    Photobucket
    Is this cigar worth of the price? yes, I am willing to buy more - single or a full box
  • denniskingdennisking Posts: 3,703 ✭✭✭
    Keep up the great reviews Rip. I'm liking them quite a bit. The DC Maximus 90th is a great review. I need to find one of these and when I do, I will buy a couple. Thanks again for the review.
  • KCWKCW Posts: 1,334 ✭✭✭
    I must find this cigar.
  • BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Sounds like a great smoke! Very nicely done review, too.
  • 90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rip, as always what a fantastic read and review thank you very sincerely for sharing! I had no idea that the DC Maximus was an 18 year aged Cameroon wrapper, would that still hold true for the DC Maximus that is currently available? Todd (Bandyt09) was kind enough to set me up with a double banded CRA release DC Maximus and I'm just cruious if that is the same 18 year old Cameroon wrapper? Thanks and keep the read coming!
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
    90+ Irishman:
    Rip, as always what a fantastic read and review thank you very sincerely for sharing! I had no idea that the DC Maximus was an 18 year aged Cameroon wrapper, would that still hold true for the DC Maximus that is currently available? Todd (Bandyt09) was kind enough to set me up with a double banded CRA release DC Maximus and I'm just cruious if that is the same 18 year old Cameroon wrapper? Thanks and keep the read coming!
    That 18yr Cameroon wrapper is exclusive for this cigar (as far as I know). It is not the same as the DC Maximus standard production line.
    Well, in reality the regular Diamond Crown Maximus(DCM) and the Diamond Crown Maximus Stanford's 90th are two different cigars with two different wrappers and blends. The regualr DCM comes with El Baho Sun Grown Wrapper. El Baho comes from Ecuador, owns by the Oliva family. On the other hand, DCM Stanford 90th's wrapper was a 18 years old Cameroon wrapper, comes from the famous German Meerappfel family in Cameroon. The wrapper was 18 years old in 2006 so now it is 24 years old wrapper.
    90+ Irishman:
    Oh forgot to mentioned that the Diamond Crown Maximus Holiday Edition CRA release is also the Ecuadorian Sun Grown El Baho wrapper. Some people think it is Maduro because it is very dark but it is not.
    I reviewed this cigar briefly but this time I want to review it properly. This is one of my all time favourite smoke and one of the top non-Cuban in the market IMPO. In fact, this can compete with any top Cuban side by side as well. Maybe it is not even fair to compare this beauty with any other Cuban or Non-Cuabn cigar because it is so unique with distinctive character. Photobucket
    Size: 6 X 60

Wrapper: Two years aged from Ecuador

Binder: Four years aged USA Connecticut

Filler: Five years Dominican Republic and Peru.
    Photobucket
    This blend contains 75% Ligero tobbaco but still very smooth and medium to full bodied. So much ligero but still it does not undermine the taste, favor, aroma or even feel overpowering. I don't know how Davidoff balanced this great cigar so well with so much ligero in it. Indeed, only Davidoff is capable to make a magical and smooth blend like this. The cigar is also very complex because the combination of vanilla, white pepper, milk chocolate, spicy and slight flowery aroma come and go in different time. I would recommend this cigar to smoke in the morning with clean palate. This way you can enjoy the full flavor and the aroma. I am not a fan of 60 rg cigar but I like it in 60 rg. I tried the other sizes but this is still my favorite size. Perfect construction and burn all the way from head to feet. While smoking you do not realize that this is a power smoke but at the end I felt the nicotine buzz.
    Photobucket
    1/3: First puff open up with clean, mild white pepper, toasty, nutty flavor. It is so smooth that reminds me of a creamy chicken with a pinch of white pepper on it. I can retrohale to enjoy the flavor because it is so smooth. The top of my tongue can feel the white pepper and my middle of tongue is full of toasty, nutty flavors with long, round finish. There is no aftertaste or harshness at all.
    Photobucket
    2/3: At this stage the cigar start take off from medium to full body with strength but again still smooth and creamy. The flavor profile taken over by distinctive cedar, milk chocolate, toasty spiciness. The creamy vanilla flavor is more distinctive with long and balanced dry finish. The top my tongue can feel robust white pepper spiciness and middle of my tongue is enjoying round and mouthfull creamy vanilla, toasted walnut, milk chocolate and slight flowery aroma. Still no aftertaste or a tiny sign of any bitterness. I can still retrohale and enjoy the smooth flavors, aromas and creamy complex body. We can always find the sign of a true good cigar at this 2/3 stage. The smoke is simply stylish and classical.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: I am floating on a smooth flavorful world. The power is constantly coming and going in-between medium to full body with all the above flavors. At this stage - the cigar is fuller and rounder with complex combinations flavors and aroma, sweeter, creamier. I can feel the caramel, mocha flavors with a tiny touch of butterscotch. I am still retrohaling it and enjoying the full flavor profile because it is so smooth. I can feel the bite of nicotine but can't stop smoking the baby. Overall, a perfect smoking experience.

Is this cigar worth of the price? Yes, every single cents of it is worth. I am willing to buy more of this cigar in the future and age longer to see how the flavor, overall character and strength change
  • RBeckomRBeckom Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭
    Nice reviews. I look forward to your next.
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    sounds like a great cigar. I will be on the lookout for one now
    Padron is one of my favorite brand. Today I am reviewing a Padron 1926 no. 9. The cigar measures 5-1/4 with 56 rg., box pressed cigar. This is a 2009 release and got almost two and half years of aging. Cigar aficionado gave this cigar a 97 rating. It was also rated as number 1 cigar of the year in 2007. The founder of Padron brand Jose Orlando Padron was born in 1926. It was released to celebrate JOP's 76th birthday. Photobucket
    Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano

Binder: Esteli, Nicaragua
    Filler: 5 years aged Esteli and Jalapa ligero, seco and volado.
    Photobucket
    The cigar construction is perfect with even burn all the way from the head to feet. It produces a lot of smoke with cedar, toasted nut, coffee, rich dark chocolate, sweet cocoa, balanced spiciness with long finish. Indeed, this cigar is another example of a true complex smoke.
    Photobucket
    1/3: Start off with massive smoke. Very distinctive cedar and coffee notes. From third puff the smoke is toasty with well balanced spice and peppery kick. Good start with a clean, long, slight leathery notes. The tip of my tongue can feel the spice and middle of my tongue start feeling the buttery, thick body. No after taste at the back of my tongue at this stage but it is medium bodied. I can feel the aging in it because of it's subtleness.
    Photobucket
    2/3: The cigar start picking up more spice with rich dark chocolate, coffee notes with slight cocoa under note. It produces thick smoke with round and buttery body. The top of my tongue can feel the strong spiciness, middle of my tongue is enjoying the smooth, buttery texture with slight flowery aroma. The coffee, dark chocolate, nutty flavor is dominating the flavor profile at this stage with long finish. I have the tingly feeling in my mouth. Back of my tongue can feel mild bitterness which tells me this cigar has more potential of aging to pick up more round and subtleness. At this stage, the cigar is very pleasant to smoke.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: The cigar mellowed out completely without any aftertaste. The body is picking up to full scale. The dark chocolate turns to more sweet cocoa, toasted nutty flavor with long finish. I can feel the depth of complexity clearly. All the above flavors are gathering at the end with strength. All the way perfectly even burn and long finish.

Is this cigar worth of the price? Yes, every single cents of it is worth. I would recommend to buy and age them a year before smoking to enjoy the subtleness and round flavors
    The last thing I need is to fall in love with yet another pricey, super premium cigar... but after talking to Dustin about these, and reading your review, I must try them. I fear that another purchase may be inevitable...
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    Todd is going to go apeshit once he tries these lol... On a side note, I find it comical that you have a nub ashtray rip. For some reason, I expect some ornate piece to compliment your taste in smokes...but you keep it real with the nub!
  • Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    BigT06:
    The last thing I need is to fall in love with yet another pricey, super premium cigar... but after talking to Dustin about these, and reading your review, I must try them. I fear that another purchase may be inevitable...
    They are just like Rip describes and they are not available at discounted prices or in discounted samplers anywhere I've seen. I would take the 85th anniversary over the current 1926 No.9 Maduro based on my limited experience with these.
    Dustin, now you are talking like my wife. She has been complaining about my ashtray and lighter for a while. I told her that I can't justify spending on ashtray more than $100 but if she is willing to buy me a gift I will accept it. My take on this issue is, I smoke the cigar not the ashtray, cutter or the lighter. I am getting into collecting humidor but still can't justify spending big bucks on luxery cigar accessories.
    catfishbluezz:
    Todd is going to go apeshit once he tries these lol... On a side note, I find it comical that you have a nub ashtray rip. For some reason, I expect some ornate piece to compliment your taste in smokes...but you keep it real with the nub!
    +1 The Padron Family Reserve 85th and 1926 80th are better than no. 9. However, all of them are great smoke.
    Roberto99:
    BigT06:
    They are just like Rip describes and they are not available at discounted prices or in discounted samplers anywhere I've seen. I would take the 85th anniversary over the current 1926 No.9 Maduro based on my limited experience with these.
  • scarlinscarlin Posts: 1,592
    rzaman:
    Dustin, now you are talking like my wife. She has been complaining about my ashtray and lighter for a while. I told her that I can't justify spending on ashtray more than $100 but if she is willing to buy me a gift I will accept it. My take on this issue is, I smoke the cigar not the ashtray, cutter or the lighter. I am getting into collecting humidor but still can't justify spending big bucks on luxery cigar accessories.
    catfishbluezz:
    Is it bad I was thinking the same exact thing as Catfish? That's funny.. Anyway, what is your favorite of the 1926 series? I can't justify paying 30 dollars for a double torp/perfecto.

Here is my favorite Padron cigar rating:

Padron Family Reserve 85th

Padron 1926 80th

Padron 1926 No.9

Padron Family Reserve 40th

Padron 1964

Padron 2000
    What is your favorite of Padron series?
    scarlin:
    rzaman:
    catfishbluezz:
    Is it bad I was thinking the same exact thing as Catfish? That's funny.. Anyway, what is your favorite of the 1926 series? I can't justify paying 30 dollars for a double torp/perfecto.
  • rzaman:

Padron 1926 80th

Padron 1926 No.9

Padron 1964

Padron 2000
    I haven't tried the Family Reserve 85 yet. That said, the 80th is the best cigar I've ever had. It blew me away the first time I had one, and it never fails to disappoint. The regular 1926 is my second favorite cigar (not just the second favorite Padron - the second favorite of any cigar). The first three Family Reserves are all fantastic, but they don't quite live up to the 80th to me.
    Sorry I wanted to say Padron Family Reserve 45th not the new 85th. I also like 85th but not over 45th. I agree with you Padrom 1926 80th is a phenomenal cigar.
    Unthought_Known:
    rzaman:

Padron 1926 80th

Padron 1926 No.9

Padron 1964

Padron 2000
    I haven't tried the Family Reserve 85 yet. That said, the 80th is the best cigar I've ever had. It blew me away the first time I had one, and it never fails to disappoint. The regular 1926 is my second favorite cigar (not just the second favorite Padron - the second favorite of any cigar). The first three Family Reserves are all fantastic, but they don't quite live up to the 80th to me.
  • catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    My least favorite was a 64 natural imperial. I love all of them other than that... Favorites are the lonadale, pantela, and Churchill in natty. Love the 26 and 64 Maddy, the corona in 64, 85th, 45th... Still wanting to try 80th Maddy, but I have a natty, 45 natty, and both 40th. I love padron...all of them. MF and Liga are right behind

"The cigar of the Davidoff Royal series are remarkable in terms of both form and style presentation. The series comprised two glamorous formats: Royal Salomones and Royal Robusto. These cigars are made with choice tobaccos set aside and aged for several years specially for occasions such as this. As these special tobaccos are available only in very small quantities, only a limited number of cigars can be rolled. The cigars' impressive size makes each and every one of them a tour de force in its own right, lending both the true glamour of royalty.The ideal blend of the specially - treated tobaccos used makes smoking these cigars a voyage of discovery, taking in a wide variety of gustatory experience and subtle aromas. Exceptional cigars for a long, unforgettable smoke which will delight aficionados time and again with new sensations and many - faceted flavors." - Davidoof & cie, SA, Geneve
    Photobucket
    True to Davidoff's statement above, the cigar is very special with more than perfect construction, burn and the layers of flavors and aroma. It is completely smooth, creamy and clean smoke with rich fruity and flowery aroma. The flavor profile is very complex and flavorful with hints of mild white pepper, white chocolate, nutmeg, roasted almonds, mild coffee-vanilla and touch of tannic oakiness. The cigar is very rich, moving and satisfying with even burn and draw. It is nothing like other Davidoff because of a distinctive Cuban like rich fruity and flowery aroma. It is definitely very smooth cigar declares the superiority of the Davidoff quality. I think, I can write a song about this cigar. It is like a symphonic work which moves you with melodies. This is a true masterpiece of art from Henke Kelner. My friend told me that Henke thinks it is his best creation. I can not verify that because I never talked to Henke in person.
    Photobucket Photobucket
    Wrapper: Ecudorian Connecticut

Binder: Dominican Republic

Fillers: All aged fillers from Dominican Republic( I don't know why I am close to believe that there might be some Cuban tobacco in the blend because I feel the distinctive Cuban like flavor in it. Maybe I need to smoke couple more of this sticks)
    Photobucket
    1/3: The cigar starts out with smooth and creamy, rich Cuban like fruity and flowery aroma with an underlying mild tannic oakiness. The tannic side comes from the Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper. Top of my tongue can feel peppery flavor with mild bitterness, middle of my tongue feel the smooth, creaminess, fruity, flowery aromas. Back of my tongue feel the mild roasted nuttiness.
    Photobucket
    2/3: As a sign of a great cigar at this stage the cigar opens up with layers of different flavor and aroma. The flavor profile is heavily dominated by white chocolate, roasted almonds, mild coffee-vanilla flavors with underlying notes of nutmeg and clove. Straight medium bodied with smooth cream, mellow and round flavor. The top of my tongue feels more distinctive white pepper, above all the flavors with clean, smooth, buttery, mouthful feeling. Back of tongue is clean without any aftertaste.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: The cigar is very complex with long finish. I am just floating in a dream world of complexity and flavor. The strong Cuban like fruity, flowery aroma is dominating the smoke. I am simply sad to say goodbye but I have to. A true smoking voyage to the world of flavor and aroma. The entire time of smoking I enjoyed the roasted sweetness to it. I am glad to have a full humidor of this and planning to age them.