Options

Rip's Cigar Journal

Comments

• Options
    rzamanrzaman Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭
    Robert, please check your inbox.
    Roberto99:
    rzaman:
    It is sold out. I am trying find some more. If I can manage what I asked for, I will send you a stick. The probability is 95%-:)
    Roberto99:
    Does anyone have sources that have any of these left? They seem to be sold out everywhere.
    That would be awesome, PM to you sir!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    The eldest sister, known as ‘Minnie’, was married to Vincent Astor.
    It is these kinds of twists in reading this stuff that I find really interesting.
    This fella's family was related to Vincent Astor, who is the Great, Great grandson of John Jacob Astor, who established the Columbia River trading post at Fort Astoria in Astoria, OR. My home town.

What is even more interesting is that my great, great grandfather was a guide for Astor's American Fur Company and Hudson's Bay Fur Company in the Pacific Northwest.

While a lot of people don't see the interesting side in it, I find it intriguing. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    You are very interesting Tony...can I adopt you LOL?
    0patience:
    rzaman:
    The eldest sister, known as ‘Minnie’, was married to Vincent Astor.
    It is these kinds of twists in reading this stuff that I find really interesting.
    This fella's family was related to Vincent Astor, who is the Great, Great grandson of John Jacob Astor, who established the Columbia River trading post at Fort Astoria in Astoria, OR. My home town.

What is even more interesting is that my great, great grandfather was a guide for Astor's American Fur Company and Hudson's Bay Fur Company in the Pacific Northwest.

While a lot of people don't see the interesting side in it, I find it intriguing. LOL!
  • Options
    0patience0patience Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    You are very interesting Tony...can I adopt you LOL?
    Funny, my wife just says I'm strange. LOL!
    And hell yeah you can adopt me.
    Although, I'm not certain the locals would be able to handle it. LOL!
    In Fumo Pax
    Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy cigars and that's close enough.

Wylaff said:
    Atmospheric pressure and crap.
  • Options
    GoldyGoldy Posts: 1,638 ✭✭
    Any cigar that can show off its mild to medium flavor profile without falling into the strength trap is a winner in my book. If anyone finds these please let me know.

Also, I keep noting that most of the cigars that I tend to identify as well balanced with excellent flavor blending tend to be cigars with a higher aspect ratio such as a lancero. This leads me to believe that the flavor is primarily coming from the wrapper, is this true?
  • Options
    Roberto99Roberto99 Posts: 1,077
    Replied pm back to you!
    rzaman:
    Robert, please check your inbox.
  • Options
    Agree, few blenders can do this magic with a mild to medium cigars.

I have been always told by the non- Cuban blenders that 60% taste comes from the wrapper but Cuban cigar makers believe it is 50:50. They think fillers and binders are as important as wrapper. However, they also believe that wrapper should have the asthetic appearance to attract a smoker.
    Goldy:
    Any cigar that can show off its mild to medium flavor profile without falling into the strength trap is a winner in my book. If anyone finds these please let me know.

Also, I keep noting that most of the cigars that I tend to identify as well balanced with excellent flavor blending tend to be cigars with a higher aspect ratio such as a lancero. This leads me to believe that the flavor is primarily coming from the wrapper, is this true?
  • Options
    jeep edsonjeep edson Posts: 826
    i just spent the night with my new born on my chest reading this whole thread. amazing. just amazing rip. you have a way with words. the ozok looks like one i def need to try. just need to get my hands on one. i have some stuff coming from sweden that i hope we can compare notes on. thanks rip.
  • Options
    I appreciate your kind words Jeep Edson. What cigar stuff is coming from Sweden? Thanks!!!
    jeep edson:
    i just spent the night with my new born on my chest reading this whole thread. amazing. just amazing rip. you have a way with words. the ozok looks like one i def need to try. just need to get my hands on one. i have some stuff coming from sweden that i hope we can compare notes on. thanks rip.
  • Options
    just some siglos and maduros. my first cc's so i will look to the pros like yourself to compare notes.
  • Options
    i just re read all 33 pages again. can't wait to try some of these out and compare notes. thanks rip. if you get a chance can you review the cohiba maduro
  • Options

The man who started the power cigar trend has blended a milder version of his most famous smoke. Carlos Fuente Jr., creator of the Fuente Fuente OpusX, the high-octane Dominican puro that has been one of the most sought-after cigars in the world since its debut in 1995, has created a somewhat more easygoing version of the smoke. Called Fuente Fuente OpusX The Angel’s Share, the line is made with old wrappers from the middle of a tobacco plant, rather than high-priming leaves that grow near the top. “It’s a totally different blend,” Fuente Jr. told Cigar Aficionado during an interview at the International Premium Cigar & Pipe Retailers trade show earlier this month. “For Fuente Fuente OpusX, we always used the very top of the plant [for the cigar’s wrapper leaves]. The yields were very low. Production was low. Classically, the true wrapper leaves came from the heart of the plant.”
    Photobucket
    Fuente said that he has been holding onto wrapper leaves taken from the heart of the plant—the middle primings traditionally used for cigar-industry wrapper—from his family farm in El Caribe, Dominican Republic, called Château de la Fuente. “We were putting it aside,” Fuente said of the wrapper leaves, which are light tan in color. “We selected the best of the best for this cigar.”
    Photobucket
    Cigar Aficionado smoked a sample Fuente Fuente OpusX Angel’s Share cigar, in the corona gorda format. The cigar had some of the trademark Fuente Fuente OpusX leather notes, but with less red pepper spice than found in traditional FFOX cigars. The cigar was balanced, elegant, and slightly sweet, with cedary flavors that evolved into cocoa notes later in the smoke. It had a nutty and slightly leathery finish that lasted for a long, long time. The term “angel’s share” is common in the spirits world. Makers of Cognac, Scotch, Bourbon and other brown, long-aged spirits lose a great portion of their product to evaporation. The lost liquid is said to be enjoyed by the angels in heaven, and has been dubbed “the angel’s share.”[Source: Cigar Aficionado]
    Photobucket
    Opus X Angel’s Share is part of Fuente’s 100 years Anniversary release. The wrapper color is very light compares to other Opus X cigars. It is almost like toffee color and close to an aged Connecticut wrapper. It has smooth surface with few visible veins. The cigar is also slightly box pressed. It has two bands but the color is lighter than regular Opus X band and dominates by more golden hue. The second band says Angel's share, the other side of first band says Destino Siglo. Other than that it is a regular Opus X band. The cigar feels good in hand and I couldn't find any soft spots. It has the perfect spongy feeling. The wrapper has a sweet raisin, slight damp wood with little aromatic spice scent. The cold draw is perfect. The flavor and aroma profile is combination of cedar, mild earth, mild leather, raisin, chocolate, cocoa, vanilla flavors with distinctive cinnamon, nutmeg, nut(almond) aroma at the back. The cigar has a wonderful creamy honey, brown sugar, fruity sweetness with a clean peppery (75%white: 25%black) spiciness thorough the nose. It has a very nice mild aromatic mix spice finish as well. It is not an overly complex cigar but complex enough to enjoy the smoke. This is the first Opus X, I felt mild in strength at the beginning then pick up its strength gradually close to medium.
    Photobucket
    1/3: The cigar starts with mild strength- cedar, mild earth, mild leather, sun dried raisin flavors with distinctive nutmeg aroma at the back. It is a shock to see an Opus X stats with such a mild strength. The cigar has almost 75% 1/3 elements of a regular Opus X but in a mild body which is very interesting to me. I enjoy complex flavors and aroma over strength. The texture of the smoke is completely creamy, round but not thick. There is no sign of harshness at all. Most of the cigars release little harshness at 1/3 but not Angel's share. The retrohale is very enjoyable with 75%white: 25%black peppery spiciness through the nose. Regular Opus X has toastier nut finish at this stage but in Angel's share nuttiness is more flat/stale kind of almond finish. However, it is fairly a good start but not overly complex. My mouth has no tingly feeling and the finish is short. The cigar loses a point here in complexity with short finish.
    Photobucket
    2/3: The best part of this cigar is it's creaminess with sweet finish. At this stage the cigar is more creamy but still mild in strength. The 1/3 flavor profile is completely there but it is dominated with more distinctive cedar, mild earth flavors. In addition it has also the vanilla, cocoa, mild milk chocolate flavors with cinnamon, nutmeg and a little bit of cardamom spicy aroma at the back. The sweetness is amazing with creamy honey and brown sugar. The sweetness is very clean and crispy. The cigar definitely gains a point in complexity at this stage. The retrohale is really enjoyable thought the nose with peppery spiciness (75:25/white: black pepper). The top of my tongue has a super mild zing of spiciness, the middle of my tongue is full of cream and round texture, the back of my tongue has no aftertaste at all. Still the finish is short. The cigar failed to wow me with its short finish. Usually, at this stage Opus X gives a long finish and crispy tinglyness inside the mouth but Angel's share is little one dimensional about finish. I am enjoying the retrohale more than the actual smoke. The draw is also slightly tight at this moment. However, I need to mention one thing here that this is completely a different blend than a regular Opus X though it has 75% elements of a Opus X. The strength is still mild-medium but not medium yet.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: At this stage, the cigar improved dramatically in balanced complexity with extreme clean and a crispy sugarcane sweetness. The flavor profile is dominated by distinctive mild chocolate, cocoa, vanilla with creamy almond finish at the back. The strength is medium with longer finish. I am feeling some tinglyness in my mouth with a mix of aromatic sweet-spiciness. The best part at this moment is the sweet-aromatic spiciness. Interestingly the back of my tongue has a slight harsh tobacco finish but it does not undermine the taste of the cigar. The top of my tongue has a strong zing of cardamom spice; the middle of my tongue has the creamy and round texture with above flavors and aroma. The clean and crispy sugarcane sweetness is amazing. The finish is longer with mild leathery finish. The complexity has been changing a lot at this moment. I am discovering 1/3 and 2/3 flavors and aroma profiles with each puff. The cigar has good complexity now but it came too late. A lot of smoker may lose interest at the 2/3 stage. Again, the best part of Angel's share is the retrohale. The strength is medium but not fully medium. I have a mix feeling about this cigar. I cannot say this is a great smoke and I will explain the reason why to my final thought.

Final thought: If Arturo Fuente releases this cigar without Opus X band and simply with a new line of Angel's Share band then the disappointment could be less. Of course when they put the Opus X band, the smoker will compare it with a regular Opus X. The cigar has some flavors and aroma of the opus X in certain extends but it is completely different in complexity, balance and finish. Opus X is an established brand with certain expectation and AF failed to deliver the expectation with the Angel's Share. This is a good cigar but does not deserve the regular Opus X status. It will be fairer to introduce with a new line with less MSRP. At the same time, I wouldn't hesitate to say that the retrohale of this cigar is better than the regular Opus X. This is a unique blend with complete different complexity and body. I like the Opus X's distinctive raisin sweet flavor with toasty nutty finish at the back. Angel’s Share does not have that. The nuttiness is more like flat or stale almond kind. I am comparing it very critically because of the Opus X band. Other than that it is a good smoke but not overly complex. I hope I was able to describe it logically.
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    Not sure how I feel about a mild Opus... sounds interesting though. Great review.
  • Options
    Ken_LightKen_Light Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭
    Good to see you reviewing again, Rip. A lot of people tend to age their Opus 1 or more years, but they're usually a fuller bodied cigar. Do you think this one would benefit from some age? Maybe the flavors would marry a bit and the complexity might be there from the first third?
    ^Troll: DO NOT FEED.
  • Options
    Thanks Todd. I have a mix feeling about this cigar it terms of the high MSRP.
    BigT06:
    Not sure how I feel about a mild Opus... sounds interesting though. Great review.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    rzaman:
    BigT06:
    i have that problem with all opus really.
  • Options
    Thanks Ken, I think it is coming back slowly. I appreciate your advice to stay away for a while.

Many smokers and reviewers feel uncomfortable to be critical against established brand like AF, Padron, Davidoff etc. etc. but the fact is top cigar makers can also make mistakes. Angel's Share has a very little aging potential because of the weak complex blend. I am not very optimistic.

In fact, I was little annoyed the way they released this cigar with expensive humidors line. They thought Opus X band and the fame can pass the weaknesses of Angel's Share but in my opinion it did the opposite. It is a good cigar but should be cheaper and not under the Opus X line.
    Ken Light:
    Good to see you reviewing again, Rip. A lot of people tend to age their Opus 1 or more years, but they're usually a fuller bodied cigar. Do you think this one would benefit from some age? Maybe the flavors would marry a bit and the complexity might be there from the first third?
  • Options
    Hi Dustin, I understand why you do not enjoy Opus X and your reasons are very logical.
    catfishbluezz:
    rzaman:
    BigT06:
  • Options
    BigT06BigT06 Posts: 3,899
    catfishbluezz:
    rzaman:
    BigT06:
    I'm ok with paying MSRP for Opus. The issue I have is when retailers charge way over MSRP just because they can, or just because they have a "limited supply". I (or my fellow BOTL) should never have to pay a penny over an already expensive MSRP for them. I feel like I'm already paying for the rareness and the quality. If Fuente says it's a $12 cigar, it should be $12.
  • Options
    catfishbluezzcatfishbluezz Posts: 7,000 ✭✭✭
    BigT06:
    catfishbluezz:
    rzaman:
    BigT06:
    I'm ok with paying MSRP for Opus. The issue I have is when retailers charge way over MSRP just because they can, or just because they have a "limited supply". I (or my fellow BOTL) should never have to pay a penny over an already expensive MSRP for them. I feel like I'm already paying for the rareness and the quality. If Fuente says it's a $12 cigar, it should be $12.
    Yeah...that's what I am getting at. It gets out of control man...
  • Options
    danielzreyesdanielzreyes Posts: 8,769 ✭✭✭✭✭
    catfishbluezz:
    BigT06:
    catfishbluezz:
    rzaman:
    BigT06:
    The cheapest Opus X out here in So Ca is the Opus X Perfecxion #4 msrp $14.99 plus tax. I love Opus X but it's too expensive here.
    "It's plume, bro. Nothing to worry about. Got any Opus?" The suppose to be DZR
  • Options
    rip. whats your next review going to be. can you please do the cohiba maduro if you get a chance.
  • Options
    if you don't have one i will send you one. i just really want to compare my experience with yours. i really enjoy your reviews.
  • Options
    chemforeverchemforever Posts: 1,200
    danielzreyes:
    catfishbluezz:
    BigT06:
    catfishbluezz:
    rzaman:
    BigT06:
    The cheapest Opus X out here in So Ca is the Opus X Perfecxion #4 msrp $14.99 plus tax. I love Opus X but it's too expensive here.
    you guys do realize the angle share retail is 50 bucks + right? Just crazy!
  • Options
    Hi Jeep, thanks for your kind words. I have Cohiba Maduro. I will review it for you. maybe the following weekend.
    jeep edson:
    if you don't have one i will send you one. i just really want to compare my experience with yours. i really enjoy your reviews.
  • Options
    It is an expensive cigar and does not offer the value...period.
    chemforever:
    danielzreyes:
    catfishbluezz:
    BigT06:
    catfishbluezz:
    rzaman:
    BigT06:
    you guys do realize the angle share retail is 50 bucks + right? Just crazy!
  • Options
    thanks for saaring rip. you have saved people lots of money with this review.
  • Options
    VisionVision Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I see a 50 dollar stick the same thought always crosses my mind...... "I can pick up 2 or 3 Davidoff for the same price".
  • Options

Primer Mundo Cigar Company, LLC is a premium boutique cigar company that has cigars manufactured in Esteli, Nicaragua and Miami, Florida which are sold to retail tobacco shops throughout the United States with distribution to soon follow in Russia.

EPM’s current lines are as follows:

El Primer Mundo Select Line

Black Label - 91 Rated Cigar Journal, 90 Rated Smoke Magazine, 90 Rated Cigar Snob Magazine, 4 Stars Cigarcyclopedia

Blue Label- 90 Rated Cigar Snob Magazine, 4 Stars Cigarcyclopedia

Red Label - Top Five Ranking Cigar Snob Magazine

El Primer Mundo Little Havana Series:

Liga Miami- #2 Cigar of the Year 2011 cigarbrief.com, 91 Rated Cigar Snob Magazine, Best of 2010 by Best Cigar Blog

Epifania- As an addition to our Miami series of cigars rolled in Little Havana Miami this cigar delivers a rich, full body profile. With a beautiful Ecuadorian wrapper the Epifania is balanced with a terrific blend of tobaccos from Nicaragua and the Dominican Republic. Rolled in the traditional entubado method the Epifania offers nice spice, rich smoke, and complexity. 88 Rated Cigar Journal

Started purely as a passion project by Founder and President Sean Williams in 2006, El Primer Mundo has become one of the hottest small batch boutique brands in the industry. The line has consistently garnered strong ratings and positive reviews ranking among the top cigars on the market. El Primer Mundo’s line is currently carried by retailers throughout the country in major markets such as; Seattle, Phoenix, Dallas, New Orleans, Atlanta, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Miami, Metro New York and the District of Columbia. [Source: Company site and other On-line sources] Photobucket
    The cigar looks solid with stylish silver and purple band. I really love the combination of the color on the band. The wrapper is dark tan color, very oily, shiny with visible veins. It has hay, wet woody scents and some earthy and cocoa powder aroma on the foot. The Pre-draw is perfect with distinctive cocoa powder, wood, grassy, sugary sweetness to it. It also left little spiciness on my lips. The cigar has perfect draw and burn. It is a complex smoke with medium to long finish. The smoke is fairly rich, creamy, balanced and complex. The flavor and aroma profile is the combination of wood, earth, cocoa, black coffee, cappuccino, molasses sweetness, vanilla, caramel flavors and mild aromatic cardamom and lemony, nutty aroma at the back. The smoke is smooth, no harshness at all and the clean and sharp green chili spiciness through the nose is simply amazing. The best part of this cigar is the green chili clean spiciness through the nose, thick and creamy texture and the underlying earthiness during the entire smoke.
    Photobucket
    Wrapper: Ecuadorian sungrown

Binder: Nicaraguan

Filler: Dominican Republic and Nicaragua
    Photobucket
    1/3: The cigar starts with thick and creamy smoke with wood(oak), earth, cocoa powder flavors. The creaminess is very thick, round and mouthful. I can also detect a thin layer of white sugary sweetness, mild aromatic and crispy lemony aroma at the back. The top of my tongue has a nice zing of spice but there is clean green chili pepper spiciness through the nose. It is very interesting since I have found this green chili peppery spiciness in few cigars. The middle of my tongue is completely covered with thick, soft and creamy texture, the back of my tongue has no aftertaste at this stage- sign of good amount of aged tobaccos in the blend. There is no harshness at all which is little surprising. It has been resting in my humidor over a year. That might be a reason as well. The strength is straight medium with medium finish with perfect draw and razor sharp burn. Overall a very good and welcoming start.
    Photobucket
    2/3: While heading to the halfway of the smoke, the cigar is more subtle and round. The background crispiness is gone. The flavor and aroma profile has the complete 1/3 profile, at the same time I am also picking up strong cocoa power, black coffee flavors with nutty, aromatic cardamom aroma at the back. There is a wonderful molasses sweetness to it. The sweetness started with a thin layer of white sugar at 1/3 but at 2/3 it’s taken over with thicker molasses sweetness. The cigar gains an extra point in complexity here. There is also a wonderful stronger underlying earthiness. The retrohale has the clean and sharp green chili pepperiness though the nose. The strength of this pepperiness is really very enjoyable because it is quiet balanced and subtle though very distinctive. It is very relaxing smoke. It doesn't add layers and layers of flavors but the limited flavor profile is very well balanced with medium finish and changing complexity. This part reminds me a lot of many original medium bodied Davidoff cigars. I believe there is some aged Dominican Piloto Cubano and San Vicente tobacco in the blend. The blender did an excellent job at 2/3 stage.
    Photobucket
    Final/3: The cigar adds another point in complexity at this stage with releasing very distinctive and additional cappuccino, slight vanilla, caramel flavors at this stage. The way it picks up its limited layers of flavor profile is amazing. This is another prefect example of a medium, balanced and complex cigar. The only weakness of this cigar is the medium finish. It is interesting to see that the retrohale lost its green peppery spiciness but taken over by the aromatic cardamom mild spiciness through the nose. I will take it as a complexity and new twist to the smoke. The top of my tongue has a subtle sweet-spicy zing, the middle of my tongue is filed with thick creamy texture and the back of my tongue feels mild tobacco bitterness but not disturbing at all. This is a great smoke! It never overwhelmed my palate. At the end of final/3, I have started to feel the tinglyness around my mouth and the finish is long but it came too late. Wish it was present at the 2/3 or at least at the beginning of final/3. This is wonderfully blended by Nicaraguan spiciness with Dominican subtle nutty background. Overall, I enjoyed it very much.

Final thought: This is not extremely rich and complex smoke but with $10 price tag, this is an excellent smoke. This cigar deserves more attention and wider distribution so the smokers can enjoy it more often. I was gifted this cigar by Granville, the owner of the Signature cigar in Tanley Town of Washington DC area. I don't know why I waited so long to smoke this cigar. This cigar beat any E.P. Carrillo’s blend. Both are blended with Dominican and Nicaraguan tobaccos but this cigar outstayed many popular top line non-Cuban cigars with its subtle and steady complexity. The only weakness of this cigar is the medium finish. This is one of those cigars that do not require long aging. A year or two aging is good enough to enjoy the smoke. I highly recommend this cigar to the budget smoker as well as the high-end smokers. I am still surprised why no one talks about it. I would also recommend this as a morning smoke not after a heavy meal. I am fully confident to say that this should have been top 25 non- Cuban cigar lists of 2011. This was a limited release and I will try to get 10-15 more sticks in my collection. If I can have them then I will add them as my regular smoking list rather than add them to my aging project. Overall this is an excellent smoke, comes with with excellent price.
  • Options
    The_KidThe_Kid Posts: 7,869 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the review
    Tried this very stick little over a year ago, was underwhelmed and didnt think it warranted the price tag. May give it another shot as I only tried the one.