Home General Discussion

Joya de Nicaragua Número 1

Found a partially sealed box in an antique store today. Distributed by A. Oppenheimer & Co. Box number 07662. 4 cigars wrapped in celo inside. Box is labeled Joya De Nicaragua Número 1.

Can someone please tell me a little something about these Cigars

Comments

• I hope I gave enough information, I have some pics as well but it doesn't appear that I can use attachments here. I know that it is an old box and I know a little about the history of the company but that's about it.
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    upload photos to a photobucket.com site and post them here.
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    If no one here is able to help you out, try posting this to the JdN facebook page. I'm willing to bet someone there would get you the info you want. DE/JdN are very active in their social networks and are very helpful. Good luck!
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Thanks! I will give that a shot
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Some nice boots.
  • Ah! You like my dirty Addidas. So here is the response to the pics that I got from the Joya De Nicaragua Facebook page.

Wow, Brandon! That's a piece of history you have there! To give you a quick insight on that box: Nicaragua suffered a US Embargo during the 80's. Our brand was "hijacked" by our distributor in the US at the time and partnered up with a factory in Honduras to make imitation Joya de Nicaragua cigars that could be legally sold in the US. The box and band were identical to the real deal, only it clearly states "Made in Honduras". Our factory has always been in Nicaragua, ever since we started the cigar industry in our country 45 years ago! This is just one of the interesting episodes in our history. We invite you to learn more about us at http://joyacigars.com/about/ Thanks for sharing!!!
  • RainRain Posts: 8,958 ✭✭✭
    Wow. That is a neat thing to learn!I'm a nerd who loves history...so cigar history? YES PLEASE.
  • onestrangeoneonestrangeone Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain:
    Wow. That is a neat thing to learn!I'm a nerd who loves history...so cigar history? YES PLEASE.
    +1, love to find out about stuff like this!
  • SleevePlzSleevePlz Posts: 6,249 ✭✭✭✭
    That's awesome that they were able to quickly answer your questions. That's a very interesting little box you have there.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Very cool

• SleevePlz:
    That's awesome that they were able to quickly answer your questions. That's a very interesting little box you have there.

Yah, thanks for the tip, they were very nice to get back with me. I love finding stuff that has an actual history as opposed to just being "old".
  • beatnicbeatnic Posts: 4,133
    cool
  • ddubridgeddubridge Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭
    onestrangeone:
    Rain:
    +1, love to find out about stuff like this!
    Me too. Cigar history is awesome!
  • kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    very nice. i knew about the embargo but i didnt know about the brand hijacking. nice to learn stuff.
  • ShotgunJohnShotgunJohn Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    Wow thanks for sharing the pictures and the history.
  • RhamlinRhamlin Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's pretty cool. I'm surprised they didn't offer to buy it from you. That would probably be a neat piece to someone's box collection.
  • Rhamlin:
    That's pretty cool. I'm surprised they didn't offer to buy it from you. That would probably be a neat piece to someone's box collection.

Maybe it was a sad bit of history for them...They might be a little bitter over the embargo. I am glad to have it though, it's a nice conversation piece.