Home General Discussion
Options

A "welcome home" smoke

ejenne87ejenne87 Posts: 1,925 ✭✭
I am looking to pick up a couple different cigars to share with my father when I get home from Afghanistan. My plan is for us to spend a night out in the back yard smoking with some nice scotch. I am thinking I want to get a couple Opus X, but I am also looking for at least one more. Any suggestions guys? Price isn't really an obstacle (no HMR's though, naturally). I love a strong somke, and I am quite sure he does too. I have a couple months before I get home but I want to get something soon to give it enough time to rest. Any ideas?

Comments

• Options
    kuzi16kuzi16 Posts: 14,633 ✭✭✭✭
    since you can get them out if the US

ISOM Bolivar Belicosos Finos

or

ISOM Sancho Panza Belicosos

if you cant/dont want Cubans then i would go with La Aurora Preferido Emerald No. 2. this is the one with the sumatra wrapper.
  • Options
    LasabarLasabar Posts: 4,472 ✭✭✭
    Ejenne.... PM!!!
  • Options
    JZJZ Posts: 827
    ejenne87:
    I am looking to pick up a couple different cigars to share with my father when I get home from Afghanistan. My plan is for us to spend a night out in the back yard smoking with some nice scotch. I am thinking I want to get a couple Opus X, but I am also looking for at least one more. Any suggestions guys? Price isn't really an obstacle (no HMR's though, naturally). I love a strong somke, and I am quite sure he does too. I have a couple months before I get home but I want to get something soon to give it enough time to rest. Any ideas?
    The Padron 1926 is a great smoke to consider. I also recommend the Padron 1964 but out of the 2, the 1926 is a stronger smoke. They are a little pricey.
  • Options
    HaysHays Posts: 2,337 ✭✭✭
    Not qualified enough to make recommendations... but check your inbox Ejenne
    ¨The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears, or the sea¨ - Isak Dinesen

¨Only two people walk around in this world beardless - boys and women - and I am neither one.¨
  • Options
    PuroFreakPuroFreak Posts: 4,131 ✭✭
    The Fuente Anejo would be a nice smoke. It is very similar to the Opus, but with a maduro wrapper and that totally changes the cigar. Awesome full bodied smoke!
  • Options
    KriegKrieg Posts: 5,188 ✭✭✭
    Ashton VSG is also a pretty good smoke.

"Long ashes my friends."

• Options
    Rob1110Rob1110 Posts: 1,577 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the La Aurora Preferidos - the first real cigar that got me into cigars, as well as the Padron 64 and 26 - few other favorites of mine, and the Opus. If money isn't an issue, look into one of the "08 casa de fuente" sets - about $160 gets you 4 forbidden x's or 2 forbiddens, a scorpio and a don carlos aniversario. Also, the Camacho PE is a great smoke at an affordable price if you catch them on sale. If you're intrigued by the HMR, go with the Gurkha Royal Salute - one step down from the HMR and it's a wonderful cigar.
  • Options
    rdnstnrdnstn Posts: 993 ✭✭
    I too would say the Padron 1926 Anniversary or the 1964. The God of Fires are also very good but I don't think they are as good as the Padrons.
  • Options
    j0z3rj0z3r Posts: 9,403 ✭✭
    I'd agree with the assessment Ron. I'd personally go for the Padron 1964 habano toro, that's a great cigar. The petit corona from Bolivar (Cuban) is excellent as well or a Partagas Serie D #4...those are my two ISOM suggestions.
  • Options
    phobicsquirrelphobicsquirrel Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭
    Rob1110:
    I agree with the La Aurora Preferidos - the first real cigar that got me into cigars, as well as the Padron 64 and 26 - few other favorites of mine, and the Opus. If money isn't an issue, look into one of the "08 casa de fuente" sets - about $160 gets you 4 forbidden x's or 2 forbiddens, a scorpio and a don carlos aniversario. Also, the Camacho PE is a great smoke at an affordable price if you catch them on sale. If you're intrigued by the HMR, go with the Gurkha Royal Salute - one step down from the HMR and it's a wonderful cigar.
    some goodies there, but I'd like to echo the Ashton VSG (wizard is my fav size), AF anejo, and or Don Carlos God of Fire.
  • Options
    I def. plan on buying a box of the Padron '64, it is my favorite cigar. I would like to grab a couple Ashton VSG's but Ccom is always sold out of almost all of them. Anyone want to trade? I just got in a big order so I have quite a few that I might be willing to part with for a pair of the Ashtons. I was looking at the God of Fire's but I have heard that they are just an alright smoke, and for the price I want more than "alright". I am def. getting a couple of the La Aurora's, been wanting to try something from them for a while and this is a good excuse. so between the 64's, VSG's and La Aurora's I think on more pair might top me off. Maybe a couple Oliva MB3's? I have had only one and it was def. a new favorite (top 5). Las and Hays: I will get back to you guys in a day or two. I need to check on some things before I can be sure of a response to both of you :-)
  • Options
    Rob1110:
    If money isn't an issue, look into one of the "08 casa de fuente" sets - about $160 gets you 4 forbidden x's or 2 forbiddens, a scorpio and a don carlos aniversario.
    do you have a link to this? are you talking about the Opus X aged sampler Ccom offers?