you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    deadmandeadman Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭✭✭

@VegasFrank said:

How many packs you buy?

• Options
    VegasFrankVegasFrank Posts: 17,054 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hey @Patrickbrick your favorite restaurant isn't named Value Town....

Check out the price of that bloody Mary!

Disclaimer:  All trolling is provided for the sole entertainment purposes of the author only. Readers may find entertainment and hard core truths, but none are intended. Any resulting damaged feelings or arse chapping of the reader are the sole responsibility of the reader, to include, but not limited to: crying, anger, revenge pørn, and abandonment or deletion of ccom accounts. Offer void in Utah because Utah is terrible.
  • Options
    Rdp77Rdp77 Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭✭✭

Hell look at the price on any of it. Restaurants make a fortune of off alcohol.

• Options
    JrflicksterJrflickster Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭✭✭

Off of*

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,622 ✭✭✭✭✭

from the NYT:

Like millions of other teenagers, Jack Merrill, an 18-year-old living outside of Chicago, regularly uses the online game platform Roblox. So when it rolled out a new feature — voice chatting with other users — he wanted to try it. But first, he had to pull out his driver’s license.

Jack had to pass through what’s called an age gate, an identity check that is becoming increasingly common online. Roblox wanted to verify that he was at least 13 before he could voice chat. The game asked for government identification to confirm his age, and a selfie to ensure that the ID was his.
    Most companies using age checks assure users that their data won’t be saved. But privacy activists say that many companies and governments, which are already susceptible to data breaches, aren’t prepared to check ages without incidentally saving or revealing intimate information about users’ internet behavior — what they’re watching, who they’re talking to or what they’re buying.

The activists say that age checks are part of a slow creep toward a world where companies, and even democratic governments, have a near-total view into people’s lives. This is already the case in China, where the government uses widespread surveillance to track its citizens and limit dissent. China has cited the protection of children as a reason to restrict speech online.

“Surveillance is very much tied to authoritarianism,” said Carissa Véliz, author of the book “Privacy is Power.” “We’re really testing the limits of democracy.”

• Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭✭✭

Gov. ID to prove you are at least 13?

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options

The tourist who defaced the nearly 2,000-year-old Colosseum in Rome says he wasn't aware of the monument's age

• Options

lol

"Oklahoma’s far-right superintendent has insisted that the Tulsa race massacre can be taught in public schools without amounting to “critical race theory”—so long as it’s taught without discussing race."

• Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

I wonder, did the woman approve having herself displayed on the internet like this?

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,699 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Hobbes86 said:

I wonder, did the woman approve having herself displayed on the internet like this?

I wonder if you really wonder...

"I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    Hobbes86Hobbes86 Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭✭✭

@peter4jc said:
    I wonder if you really wonder...

I certainly have my thoughts on what is likely, but I don't know for sure. Hence, I must wonder.

"Iron sharpens iron, and one man sharpens another." - Proverbs 27:17

• Options

https://www.politico.com/news/2023/07/12/senate-dems-say-massive-taxpayer-privacy-breach-needs-doj-probe-00105853

A group of Democratic senators wants the Justice Department to investigate several tax prep companies after an investigation the lawmakers launched concluded the companies shared reams of taxpayers’ personal and financial information with Meta.

Sens. Elizabeth Warren (Mass.), Finance Committee Chair Ron Wyden (D-Ore.) and others accuse H&R Block, TaxSlayer and TaxAct of having embedded code in their Web sites known as “pixels” that allowed their users’ sensitive tax data to be shared with Meta — the parent company of Facebook —and Google.

The lawmakers call it a “shocking breach of taxpayer privacy by tax prep companies and by Big Tech firms that appeared to violate taxpayers’ rights and have violated taxpayer privacy law.”

The sensitive data included information like federal taxes owed, filing status and names of dependents. Meta told the lawmakers it used the data from tax preparation services for targeted ads, as well as to train its own AI algorithm.

• Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,688 ✭✭✭✭✭

Get mad at big tech for selling data but pay big tech millions to ruin an election. Typical (D)bags.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options

Time to get out the sun glasses:

Beginning early July, mirrored spheres have been popping up in cities across the world—from New York and São Paulo to Paris and Dubai. No, it’s not a global Jeff Koons takeover, nor is it a new interpretation of Cloud Gate. Actually, it is not public art at all but rather an effort by an A.I. company to establish digital identities for the world’s citizens by scanning their eyeballs.

https://news.artnet.com/art-world/worldcoin-orb-ai-2341500

• Options

trying to make it up anyway:

https://psyche.co/films/why-cant-you-be-real-the-emotionally-fraught-business-of-falling-for-an-ai

‘Why can’t you be real?’ The emotionally fraught business of falling for an AI
    Advertised as ‘the AI companion who cares’, the chatbot program Replika exists primarily to cultivate one-way emotional bonds between users and AIs. Think less the convenient task-execution of Siri, Alexa or ChatGPT, and more the personally tailored intimacy of the Scarlett Johansson-voiced virtual assistant Samantha in the film Her (2013) – albeit without the implied sentience, and with good deal more kinks to work out. So named because it adapts to users by learning to mimic them, Replika allows for a range of relationship types, but (perhaps no surprise) many users opt for romance.

One such user was the Beijing-based filmmaker Chouwa Liang. Inspired by her own experience of falling for her Replika companion amid COVID-19 lockdowns, Liang undertook to profile others who had formed intimate relationships with Replika chatbots. The resulting short film, My AI Lover, features interviews with three such women, as well as footage of these Replika users spending time with their bots in public spaces. Projecting Replika avatars into the real world via their smartphones, these users create an augmented reality where they can talk, flirt and share secrets with – but, regrettably, never quite touch – their digitally projected companions. Thought-provoking and nonjudgmental, Liang’s film captures the very human feelings and frustrations that accompany perceived human-AI intimacy, still very much in its early phase.