Home Non Cigar Related
Options

you can't make this stuff up

Comments

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm sure they are bio-diesel powered. :)

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Bob_Luken said:

@peter4jc said:
    >

Maybe I don't understand BM but I'd think it has jumped the shark already, and if not, it will soon.

It’s all about the orgies. Isn’t it?

It's wealthy people cosplaying as hippies. Costs $1200 to get in, these people are all about peace and love, and then (the majority) of them are the biggest a**holes you'll ever meet immediately afterwards. They absolutely destroy everything over here every year. They dump their trash and waste on the side of the roads, and will ever drive through our neighborhoods looking for unguarded trash bins to overfill. There's always a lot of abandoned vehicles left all over the place, but this year was worse than ever before. I now have a pretty view of 3 abandoned and destroyed crappy old campers outside my window that will probably sit there for at least a year before they get dealt with by the city...

"Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    ShawnOLShawnOL Posts: 8,557 ✭✭✭✭✭

Torch them, then the city will have to deal with them.

Trapped in the People's Communits Republic of Massachusetts.

• Options
    silvermousesilvermouse Posts: 19,420 ✭✭✭✭✭

Your favorite cookie now has a new field of science dedicated to it: Oreology. This novel field of science attempts to understand the flow and fracture of the iconic Oreo cookie to find the best eating experience, including whether it's actually possible to separate the two sides of the cookie sandwich with an equal amount of creme filling on each. In a study published in April 2022, in the journal American Institute of Physics, a group of scientists at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology dug deep into the probability of achieving an equal creme ratio in an Oreo when twisting it open.

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wxd9az/scientists-publish-breakthrough-study-in-oreo-splitting-research

• Options
    YaksterYakster Posts: 25,997 ✭✭✭✭✭

Not my favorite but we seem to get them on the regular. I just eat them dry and whole.

Join us on Zoom vHerf (Meeting # 2619860114 Password vHerf2020 )
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023

Guinness World Records crowns new hottest pepper!!

Pepper X registers at 2.69 million units.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-67136085.amp

@peter4jc

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options

I hear the juice eats steel. :D

• Options
    edited October 2023

sigh,

The New York Times

The police received warnings that the Maine gunman had threatened to carry out a shooting spree, but never made contact with him, records showed.
    Monday, October 30, 2023 7:34 PM ET

The warnings about the reservist, Robert Card, 40, were far more explicit than Maine officials have publicly acknowledged in the wake of Wednesday’s shooting.

• Options
    TRayBTRayB Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭✭✭

@silvermouse, why, if the NYT article claims the police or other authorities did not follow up on the warnings, does the cartoon implicate the gunshop owner? Is the NYT claiming the shooter made his intent known to the gunshop owner (carryiing reds flags announcing he is nuts), but the gunshop owner did not care? Is the NYT claiming the gunshop owner should have turned down any sales to the shooter, even though the authorities never put his name into the system as being ineligible to purchase a gun? Do you think any gunshop owner wants to be associated with selling a firearm to a mass shooter, because, well, Murica dammit!
    The failure here is the authorities failure to act (along with a crazy man doing something crazy), not the gunshop owner's action in selling a gun to someone who passed the holy grail background check.

• Options
    edited October 2023

I believe he told the gun shop owner that he had mental health issues. I will see if I can find that report.

Edit...you are right, the gun shop acted properly according to this report. The cartoonist should have been holding the police and military to blame for not restricting his ownership due to his past actions, not the gun shop. Thanks for pointing out the false direction, which I didn't fact check. @TRayB

https://nypost.com/2023/10/29/news/robert-card-was-denied-at-maine-gun-shop-due-to-mental-health-months-before-massacre/

• Options
    edited October 2023

@silvermouse said:
    I believe he told the gun shop owner that he had mental health issues. I will see if I can find that report.

Edit...you are right, the gun shop acted properly according to this report. The cartoonist should have been holding the police and military to blame for not restricting his ownership due to his past actions, not the gun shop. Thanks for pointing out the false direction, which I didn't fact check.

A gunshop owner is, of course, free to NOT SELL a firearm to anyone they don't want to sell to, for any reason, especially if the person is giving off signs they may not be stable, or legally allowed to own a firearm, BUT, if the system does not throw up a block to the sale, then what? Should the onus be placed on the gunshop owner to decide if the person is truly a danger? Can you or I decide on the spot that a person whom we have never met is a danger to himself or others, when the authorities, who were alerted, have not flagged him in the system.

(note: I started this reply before your edit. Apparently the NYT can just make this stuff up.)

• Options

Further search of the press ... Maine rejected a Red Flag Law a few years ago but enacted a yellow flag law that required a doctor's ok before the police could act....so, again the cartoonist made false impressions of the situation.

https://www.pressherald.com/2023/10/30/red-flag-law-which-maine-rejected-seen-as-best-tool-to-remove-guns-during-a-mental-health-crisis/

• Options
    d_bladesd_blades Posts: 3,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

I believe the gun shop owner refused to sell a suppressor that was mail ordered for delivery to the shop when Card filled out his ATF 4473, stating that he had been committed to a mental institution. At least that's what I heard on the radio earlier.

Don't let the wife know what you spend on guns, ammo or cigars.

• Options

@d_blades said:
    I believe the gun shop owner refused to sell a suppressor that was mail ordered for delivery to the shop when Card filled out his ATF 4473, stating that he had been committed to a mental institution. At least that's what I heard on the radio earlier.

It's not so simple as filling out a form 4473 and passing in instant BGC. It takes 6-8 months to purchase a suppressor, including filling out an ATF Form 4 and being fingerprinted. The guy would have been denied well before ever having a suppressor delivered to a shop.

• Options

In my opinion the situation makes a strong case for strong red flag laws. Emotionally disturbed people need protection from themselves, the police need to not have their hands tied when protecting them and their neighbors. There were plenty of indications that this individual was endangered. The family contacted police about his mental state and allegedly said they would remove the guns from his possession. This is an easy solution to a difficult social problem that doesn't affect other gun owners.

• Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,131 ✭✭✭✭✭

Nobody gets committed to the loony bin anymore, they just pump ‘em full of drugs with side effects that read like they’re straight from the definition of insanity.

How many mass shooters are on these mind altering drugs? And why is that not more than a tiny part of the conversation regarding this problem? Money. The drug companies and the ad dollars from drug companies that support the media.

• Options

Agree. Chemical restraints are so much cheaper than inpatient long term care.

• Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

Treat the symptom, ignore the problem. Sounds about right.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options
    StubbleStubble Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Are you saying that the firearm, an inanimate object, is the problem?

@silvermouse , my flag and disagree.

Hey, you gonna eat the rest of that corndog?
  • Options
    Amos_UmwhatAmos_Umwhat Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2023

@Stubble said:

@Amos_Umwhat said:

Are you saying that the firearm, an inanimate object, is the problem?

@silvermouse , my flag and disagree.

No. I'm saying that our methods of dealing with the problem amount to wishful thinking and inadequate intervention of the underlying problems with people's psyche. The common moral ground that we once stood on as a people is eroding from underneath us, and we're hoping that taking a pill will solve it. I don't think this will bear fruit.

The post was supposed to indicate a degree of sarcasm.

WARNING:  The above post may contain thoughts or ideas known to the State of Caliphornia to cause seething rage, confusion, distemper, nausea, perspiration, sphincter release, or cranial implosion to persons who implicitly trust only one news source, or find themselves at either the left or right political extreme.  Proceed at your own risk.  

"If you do not read the newspapers you're uninformed.  If you do read the newspapers, you're misinformed." --  Mark Twain
  • Options

Treating the symptom is cheap, treating the cause is expensive and time consuming. Nobody gets a golden soundbite out of doing the hard work.