Home Cigar 101
Options

Veteran's advice to newbie, first humidor.

Comments

• Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I keep everything in coolers, but I do have 1 wooden humi, maybe a 40-50 count, that I keep out on the bar for things I want to smoke and for easy access.  If I am going through the cooler and I see something I want to smoke, I throw it in the wood humi and I keep some yard gars in there as well.  With the boveda packs, it is really easy to maintain.

My point is probably opposite of everyone else.  I would not be afraid to tell someone to buy a good quality small wooden humi when they start, and then graduate into a cooler.  Most people starting into this hobby want to have a nice humi they can show off.  Why discourage them and tell them they need a beer cooler to keep them in.  They will realize it for themselves soon enough if they stay in the hobby.
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My thoughts exactly @rsherman24
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options
    Bob_LukenBob_Luken Posts: 10,016 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    Wait just a dang minute! The point is to be honest with 'em. The basic, small desktops are a gamble as to whether they'll hold humidity. Especially when most newbies are told little or nothing about how to season them. Next thing that happens is they come here to the forum seeking help from their suffering, the first thing they hear is a list of additional things they need to buy, do, and learn in order to maintain a simple humidor!!!  And, that's very frustrating for guys just starting out. Or do you want them to suffer? Has this "starter humidor" racket always been some sort of hazing ritual? 
  • Options
    rsherman24rsherman24 Posts: 6,776 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The question was, advise a newbie BEFORE they bought a humi.  So if they wanted a wood humi, I would advise them to buy a quality product, season properly, and use Boveda packs.  

I use a humi which was a giveaway at Cigarfest but it is crafted well and seals well.  I probably keep 20 cigars in it and I use 1 large Boveda pack.  In the Northeast, humidity can swing in my basement 20-30 percent between the seasons.  I just keep a variety of Boveda's on hand and adjust as necessary.  I have a remote hygrometer unit with 4 sensors.  The small humi stays within 1% of the coolers.  It does require a little more attention than the coolers, but if a friend really wanted a humidor, I would have no issues telling them to buy one (and it would not be a lie and I would not want them to suffer)
  • Options
  • Options
    TNBigfoot68TNBigfoot68 Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really have appreciated all of the advice steering me toward a tupadore. It was easy to set up, and I had humidity buttons that I use for my pipe tobacco  (I like cigars a lot better) and the humidity stabilizes in mid 60s if we can just get our AC fixed before my cigars get ruined.  Looks like it is time too stock up. 
    I was born a fool, and just got bigger!
  • Options
    90+_Irishman90+_Irishman Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd keep it simple and just suggest a cooler and boveda packs. Impossible to F it up and stable with plenty of storage, easy to grow into and cheap as hell. Simple and to the point ;)

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    NolagizmoNolagizmo Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Gray4lines spot on. I love my humidor. It's where I put the stogies I'm smoking soon. The cooler holds future victims
    "Come party with me in Tennessee for my birthday July we can smoke in the Smokey's."
  • Options
    Gray4linesGray4lines Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nolagizmo said:
    @Gray4lines spot on. I love my humidor. It's where I put the stogies I'm smoking soon. The cooler holds future victims
    I do the same thing. Cooler is for excess that get transferred over as I smoke em up out of the humidor.
    LLA - Lancero Lovers of America
  • Options
    While I've had my fun on this thread, I'll add this for the record, I'm not opposed to anyone buying anything they want for cigar storage. I just wish newbies knew ahead of time, that there are more ways to get the job done and, with less effort, than the typical cheap starter humidor. It's like a cable TV subscription. You don't need one to watch TV anymore. Sign up for that baby if you really want cable TV. But you don't necessarily need it to watch what you want to watch. Well, you don't necessarily need a wooden humidor either, unless you want one.  
  • Options
    84CJ784CJ7 Posts: 372 ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2016
    I'm a very new "newbi" in fact this is my 1st post.  I have read a lot on this forum before I settled on my setup below.  Thanks for the transfer of knowledge.  Y'all are the nicest, most knowledgeable, and generous folks I've seen on the subject of cigars.  

I've had great luck with a Pelican 1470 case, about the size of a small briefcase...might be showing my age, I dont think that term is even used anymore.  You young'ens might have to look it up in the dictionary.

I put cedar stays from 2 cigar boxes lined on the bottom and the thin open cell foam over that, then the egg crate foam in the lid.  85 Bodeva for 3 weeks then ordered several samplers.  I've had it set for 6 weeks with about 35 cigars, a 67 Humicare, and a small green foam which I'll take out soon.  It has been rock solid at 70 rh the entire time.  I have large 65 Bodeva's on backorder so that will be what I stay on.

Anything else y'all think I should do?

I think I can get about 75 cigars in it.  It ain't fancy but it looks good enough to pull out when company comes over.

This forum feels like family and I am soaking up all the knowledge I can.  Thanks for everything!
  • Options
    CAcigarguy007CAcigarguy007 Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would remove the foam. Cigars, like firearms, should not be stored long term in the foam. Personally, I'd just get a Iris Weathertight bin (stackable, see-through/easy to monitor, and not ugly like a big cooler) but if you insist on the pelican case then remove the foam, particularly if you store your cigars naked. These are meant for temporary transportation (like in a cigar caddyHerf-a-dor), not long-term storage (could have mold issues). Take the green floral foam out now. Plastic needs very little humidity to maintain and humicare should be fine until the Boveda packs arrive.  
  • Options
    84CJ said:
    I'm a very new "newbi" in fact this is my 1st post.  I have read a lot on this forum before I settled on my setup below.  Thanks for the transfer of knowledge.  Y'all are the nicest, most knowledgeable, and generous folks I've seen on the subject of cigars.  

I've had great luck with a Pelican 1470 case, about the size of a small briefcase...might be showing my age, I dont think that term is even used anymore.  You young'ens might have to look it up in the dictionary.

I put cedar stays from 2 cigar boxes lined on the bottom and the thin open cell foam over that, then the egg crate foam in the lid.  85 Bodeva for 3 weeks then ordered several samplers.  I've had it set for 6 weeks with about 35 cigars, a 67 Humicare, and a small green foam which I'll take out soon.  It has been rock solid at 70 rh the entire time.  I have large 65 Bodeva's on backorder so that will be what I stay on.

Anything else y'all think I should do?

I think I can get about 75 cigars in it.  It ain't fancy but it looks good enough to pull out when company comes over.

This forum feels like family and I am soaking up all the knowledge I can.  Thanks for everything!
    Very nice setup, great start and congrats! Welcome to the Ccom forum and hope you have a great time here, lots of knowledge and lots of terrific people!

Brett
    "When walking in open territory bother no one. If someone bothers you, ask them to stop. If they do not stop, destroy them."
  • Options
    84CJ said:
    I'm a very new "newbi" in fact this is my 1st post.  
    Welcome to our little clubhouse. Glad to have you join us.  
  • Options

I would remove the foam. Cigars,
    until the Boveda packs arrive.  
    007,...Done!  I have read that the open cell foam was good for this but I would rather make a couple of cedar trays for this. 

Brett/Bob, thanks for welcoming me 
  • Options
    @Bob_Luken, @90+_Irishman,& @84CJ
    WWelcome 84CJ. Bob and Bret are awesome and you can learn a lot from them as I am. Glad to have you here. 
  • Options
    GuitardedGuitarded Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @84CJ welcome to the nut house.
     Maybe you will introduce yourself on the newbie welcome thread? 
    Great people here and tons of info. 
    Friends don't let good friends smoke cheap cigars.
  • Options

@84CJ welcome to the nut house.
     Maybe you will introduce yourself on the newbie welcome thread? 
    Great people here and tons of info. 
    Done, should have done this sooner.  Thanks for pointing me that way.  

There are several good forum ambassedors here.
  • Options
    6string said:
    As a newbie I initially bought a desktop too because thats what ur supposed to do n they are a beautiful work of art. The idea of a coolidor then seemed so wrong. Lol It was very frustrating at the time though because it never seemed to be consistant so i was always worried about my investment...i did a lot of research on this forum n others to see what others had n what would work best for me. I now have a 28 qt cooler and a hygrometer from walmart with a half pound of 65 Rh heartfelt beads divided into two clear nylon stalkings. I got some boxes free from my local b&m and its worry free now n stays between 64% - 66% and When i need to upgrade i simply move everything into a bigger space n i still have a usefull cooler. I think now im gonna get another quarter pound of beads and see if i can get that desktop squared away. I keep them both in my bedroom because they are safer from curious hands and because its easier to maintain a stable temperature in a single room...which should help keep my destop from fluctuating so much.
    PERFECT! Wouldn't change a thing, this is exactly the setup I would have suggested way to go and nicely done! Bedroom is where all of my stuff is too to keep away from tiny hands and feet that get into way too much stuff they shouldn't lol.

Nice job and welcome @6string  its good to have you here ;)
  • Options
    NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    I just found this thread, as a noob, I am looking for a good humidor. So I started with a Sterilite box with a locking top, about the size of a shoe box, 13 x 7.5 x 4.5. Plan to get a cigar box on my next visit to B&M, to place inside. Have Boveda packs. And away we go!
    I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have not been around long myself. Started with a pretty desktop humidor that was recommended by a local store. Followed her instructions using the sponge and distilled water and thought I was set. Rh held for a while then overnight plummeted.

Began searching online and found this wonderful place.  Ordered the Boveda seasoning packs along with a humidor and cigars from an online store. Seasoned the new humidor with Boveda and it has held well for a couple months now. The pretty humidor I purchased first kind of sits there and looks pretty with the cigars I may smoke that weekend.

Since the wife has taken a liking to stopping at the Perdomo or Padilla shop on her way home and bringing home things like a box of Perdomo Bugatti cigars, I am thinking of getting something even easier to keep like a couple packets of Boveda in some kind of plastic container.

I am open to any suggestions

Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    @Diver43 & @NOGILLS2 welcome to the Party.  If you haven't Introduced yourselves on the NewB welcoming thread please do so.
    Diver43, I have been using a sealed container for several months now it works great. The big suggestion is make sure you calibrate your Hygrometer. 
  • Options
    webmostwebmost Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I vote for a cooler cause

1. You already got one gathering dust in the shed
    2. They seal up pretty well
    3. Gives you an extra place to sit
    4. Holds a lot of sticks
    5. No seasoning required

“It has been a source of great pain to me to have met with so many among [my] opponents who had not the liberality to distinguish between political and social opposition; who transferred at once to the person, the hatred they bore to his political opinions.” —Thomas Jefferson (1808)

• Options
    NOGILLS2NOGILLS2 Posts: 156 ✭✭✭

So, I picked up a 25 quart Igloo, a bag of Kitty Litter crystals, and a Acurite indoor outdoor wireless thermometer. Got a container and filled with crystals and spritz with distilled water and placed outdoor sensor in the cooler. Temp is 72 degrees at 47% humidity.  I will continue to monitor before placing cigars in cooler.

I chose the indoor/outdoor thermometer because I don't have to open the cooler to check humidity and temp. BTW the thermometer was $19.00.

I know many will say I should start with a bigger cooler. I have several coolers up to 150 quart and wanted one I can keep in the closet to start.

I am a happy man. You have made me very grateful. For this is the very first time that the Crown Jewels have ever been adequately & deliriously praised by an unprejudiced person. Still it is the cigars' own fault that this is so for it is a cigar which excites envy & jealousy in the smoker because he knows & feels the truth of which you have said; that there is no other cigar that is just like it. There are cigars which resemble it but only in appearance, not in spirit & not in the ability to dare & do. There is no other cigar that can make a person want to go away & get by himself & think this life over & wonder if it is altogether worth while. I will send you some more when you get out. Let me know. Any man of fine intelligence who is acquainted with Crown Jewels prizes them above any other gems & saves them & hoards them. I gave Harry Rogers a box two years ago & he has them yet. Let me know when you are out.
  • Options
    WylaffWylaff Posts: 5,271 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coolers do not absorb moisture. Hence no seasoning needed. If 20 minutes after you close the lid your not where you want to be, go spritz your litter again. It will not rise over a week like wood does.
    "Cooking isn't about struggling; It's about pleasure. It's like sǝx, with a wider variety of sauces."

At any given time the urge to sing "In The Jungle" is just a whim away... A whim away... A whim away...
  • Options
    Diver43Diver43 Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just had a thought. Would a ziplock bag of appropriate size with a desired Rh Boveda pack work for either short or long term storage?
    Stored at proper temperature, wouldnt it keep cigars safe indefinitely? 
    Logistics cannot win a war, but its absence or inadequacy can cause defeat. FM100-5
  • Options
    peter4jcpeter4jc Posts: 15,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ziplocks are still somewhat gas-permeable, so no, it wouldn't be an indefinite solution.  But depending on how drastic a difference between the air outside the bag and what you're trying to do on the inside, it could work for a long time.
    "I could've had a Mi Querida!"   Nick Bardis
  • Options
    GoCardsGoCards Posts: 146 ✭✭✭
    I just bought a Ziplock IRIS box and did the baking soda paste scrub suggested by @avengethis , then let it sit open two days.  Still getting a little whiff of plastic smell. 

How worried do I need to be about this?  I've ordered cedar trays that arrive tomorrow - will these solve the remaining issue?  Just don't want plastic smell in my cigars...I'll gladly do the Dawn wash too if needed.
  • Options
    CharlieHeisCharlieHeis Posts: 8,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fill it with crumpled up newspaper for a few days. That should take out the remaining smell. Wash, rinse, repeat if necessary.